Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare film of the Red Baron flying

Rare film of the Red Baron flying

---- for you erstwhile flying buffs

The following is a very rare piece of film, 100 years old. It shows Baron Von Richthofen, doing an external prior to a mission, as well as his putting on a flying suit prior to flight in cold weather. If you look close you will notice Hermann Goering.

The Baron was shot down on 21 April 1918 by Roy Brown of the Royal Navy Air Services, a prelude of the R.A.F.. The Aussies also claim that one of their machine gunners on the ground shot the Baron down. UK & Aussie Doctors, after the autopsy stated that the fatal bullet was shot from above.

The author of this has been very involved as a Director of the Roy Brown Museum ,in Carleton Place, the home town of Roy. many letters have been written over the past 3-4 years, and finally Roy Brown was inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame on 4 June 2015.

…To think this film almost 100 years old! If you're interested in history or aviation, you cannot miss this footage. It was just posted online. It's from 1917, and it's an up-close and personal look at one of the most legendary combat pilots who ever lived, the infamous Red Baron, Manfred Von Richthofen.

Watch ULTRA-RARE footage of the most famous fighter pilot ever @ Komando Video

Thank you for posting that, fascinating!

Great bit of history, thank you.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Yes, to think that, just a decade after the first flight of the Wright brothers, there are planes flying acrobatically in combat, like calvary horses on wings. I have ridden back seat in a couple of biplanes from the 1930s, and it is like riding a motorcycle at 130 mph is to driving a car at 60 mph. If you ever get a chance to see the film, Wings, on a big screen, don't miss it.

A fascinating glimpse into history, thanks for that. In many ways nothing has changed, the ground crew moving the aircraft from the hanger and preparing it for flight, the pre sortie briefing, assisting the pilot into his flight gear and helping him strap in. Been there at them all. (And no, not with the RFC, very much later!!)

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

Soundtrack was rubbish. Lol.
    Excellent film. Just shows how basic it was back then.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I often wonder, if he had lived, what would medical science have done to that wound on his scalp that he carried for such a long time. You will see on the film the thin string that held the dressing on. I cant imagine it didn't bother him.
    Apparently, also, for all you home loaders, he had his armourers check the length of all the bullets for his guns to minimise the possibility of a jam. Some of you on here will be able to tell me how many rounds these guns held.

Great bit of film, I have been up in a Tiger Moth, a little slower than a triplane, but definitely gives you a "Seat of the pants" feel of how things would have been for them.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

A great clip and a good find - thanks

Minor historical point

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    The Baron was shot down on 21 April 1918 by Roy Brown of the Royal Navy Air Services, a prelude of the R.A.F.
    On 1 April 1918, the RFC (Royal Flying Corps - British Army air wing), and RNAS (Royal Naval Air Service) merged into the Royal Air Force. At the time of the baron's demise Brown's No. 9 Squadron RNAS had already become No. 209 RAF.