Kammo kodiak

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Well having got one now 12 years old me thinks it could be time for another DPM coat.
The thing is it has always leaked, it went back and they said it wasn't faulty but it carried on leaking.
I use it in the summer and it is just shower proof if kept nikwaxed.
My mate bought a slight second from the gamefair about 10 years ago and his has never leaked.
The point is the coat is quiet well designed and basically bomb proof in construction.
I have many coats in all guises realtree and mossy oak etc but like DPM for summer.
Should I buy another and hope this one doesn't leak.
What are your findings with this coat/firm.

Had mine for around 15 years...leaked from day one. Sent it back, they said it was fine...still leaked, didn't use it after that.

These days I'm using Buffalo and Harkila Pro Hunter gear and will not be changing any time soon.

Waterproof garment have come on ten fold since the days of Kammo gear, Seeland, Deerhunter and Harkila do all sorts of jackets and trousers to suit all budgets.

I have a Harkila Pro Hunter suit, top quality but its not cheap, I also have a few Seeland jackets, some of which are waterproof, they wont have the durability of the Harkila stuff but very good all the same.

A Kammo would last me 2 years back in the day of stalking in Caithness, the elbows were out of them in no time.

Bought the Kammo Super Kodiak about 8 years ago, wanted it especially for highland hill stalking, i found if the weather was god then it was just to warm a jacket to wear, i also had the inside cuff rip after about a year. Saying this i take it everytime i go. If the weather is cold or wet its fantastic, its always kept me warm and dry. If sitting in a high seat for a lengh of time in the cold then this is the jacket i use.

If you want a year round jacket you are better going for something like the deerhunter i have.It has a series of different liners in it that are removable so it can be stripped right down in the summer and beefed right up in the winter

If you want a year round jacket you are better going for something like the deerhunter i have.It has a series of different liners in it that are removable so it can be stripped right down in the summer and beefed right up in the winter
For Summer your better just visiting your local ex army store and get a light weight German Flectan cammo and just carry a USA waterproof poncho in your Roe sack in case it rains.

All these modern materials dont even come anywhere close in respect to quiteness in use compared to military cotton I have tried the lot.
They also do them in gortex but i would shy clear of them as they make to much noise for me.
Stu

Last edited:
I had one it leaked, same story, factory said it was fine. Had a Sport Chief saddle cloth long jacket for donkeys years, worked in it, stalked in it, wild fowled in it, been an overnight dog bed, beaten cement dust out of it and still it won't leak. Kammo want's to wise up to the expectations on someone paying a weeks wage on an item of clothing. And charging extra for a hood really ****ed me off.

i have two bloody heavy when wet and they take a week to dry ,use them on cold days now ,swazi in the wet .the swazi will in dry in a few hours and does not hold water.

I have one with a hood i bought 15 years ago... only used it twice... too heavy to shoot in and i now use layers rather than the Kammo continental style duvet. £400 all in and thats not on for a very inferior coat that is only any good for sitting in a hide with.

Thanks lads
I have Harkila windstopper for warm weather.
A saddlecloth for middling weather and a deerhunter 3 layer for very cold weather.
I also have ex army for very mild weather.
As first stated I want a DPM jacket for spring/summer use but able to turn rain and thunder storms, liked the design of the cammo but will definetly not get another now.
Remember a DPM jacket breathable but quiet and waterproof any recomendations. DONT WANT ANY NEW PATTERNS OF CAMMO OR GREEN.
thanks

Keela make good kit. I used to combine a snugpack inner jacket with a Keela DPM outer. Very light and stays dry.
I assume Keela still make MVPs and Munro jackets in DPM.

Have a word with Hugh at Country Covers (Arktis). Have a look at their field smock, I have it in olive green and can't praise it enough. It is basically a civillian version of a combat jacket. My mate has it in US Woodland camo, he has had is for many years. I'm pretty sure that it is available in DPM. Country Covers go to loads of shows but are always really busy. Your first impression may be that the material is too noisy but once it has been worn a couple of times then washed, it becomes much softer. I think it costs about £175. JC

Have a word with Hugh at Country Covers (Arktis). Have a look at their field smock, I have it in olive green and can't praise it enough. It is basically a civillian version of a combat jacket. My mate has it in US Woodland camo, he has had is for many years. I'm pretty sure that it is available in DPM. Country Covers go to loads of shows but are always really busy. Your first impression may be that the material is too noisy but once it has been worn a couple of times then washed, it becomes much softer. I think it costs about £175. JC

I just looked on their website (www.country-covers.com) and its not called a field smock, its a waterproof smock/parka. It doesn't list it in DPM but says other patterns to order with a 3 month waiting time. Its probably not the best time to get them to make something special with the show season coming up but I would still have a look. JC

John...what size are you?......i have something that may fit the bill...........it's a goretex dpm jacket unlined with a brushed quiet finish, no hood and it's not an army sirplus one at all...more of a custom made affair by someone like berghaus (no makers name)....looks like it was designed for tropical type use...therefore a very good summer waterproof. I wore it on the hill on warmer days last season even though it' is a tad on the large side for me. PM me if you want.

steveM

I've had 2 Kammo coats, with not problems at all. But they were purchased from the original owners of the company not the new lot.

For spring/summer and early season hill stalking I've used a German Military Surplus Cammo jackets that I waterproof using the Nixwax wash in treatment at the start of every roe buck season. it turns most weather apart from 2-3 hours of torrential rain, but by then I'm on my way home so its not really a problem. They're light, silent with a good supply of decent sized pockets, and my latest one only cost me £20. So I brought 2.

I purchase a Olive Kodiac coat about 15+ yrs ago from the original company. It did leak the day I wore it on LLandegffed reservior, mind you we did have 12hrs torrential rain and it was blowing a gale and we had water crashing into the boat.

It now has two liners in it and is OK. Its design is fabulous, but I agree it is too heavy for summer use. I have only worn it a couple of times since as I dont like shooting in the rain.

Country covers kit appears excellent ( have a gun case) and was impressed when I have seen it at shows.

If you are after some military kit, then look at Flectarns web site, which is v comprehensive. They are not cheap but all the stuff they sell in new and unissued. They are v good to deal with

D

I purchase a Olive Kodiac coat about 15+ yrs ago from the original company. It did leak the day I wore it on LLandegffed reservior, mind you we did have 12hrs torrential rain and it was blowing a gale and we had water crashing into the boat.

It now has two liners in it and is OK. Its design is fabulous, but I agree it is too heavy for summer use. I have only worn it a couple of times since as I dont like shooting in the rain.

Country covers kit appears excellent ( have a gun case) and was impressed when I have seen it at shows.

If you are after some military kit, then look at Flectarns web site, which is v comprehensive. They are not cheap but all the stuff they sell in new and unissued. They are v good to deal with

D
i've had a kammo kodiak for 15 plus year always keeps me dry.and the cotton is bombproof,however i now need a new one so are the newer ones no good

Back