Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking 270 moderator advice

Seeking 270 moderator advice

My main stalking rifle is a 270 Howa with a thin barrel with 1/2 UNF. I have a Wildcat Predator 8 on it which I find too big and heavy, and I want to change it for something smaller and lighter.

I am not seeking "the best sound reduction", I simply want a mod to "take the edge off" the 270's blam.

Not bothered whether it's over-barrel or completely out the front, though would prefer not to add hugely to the barrel length if possible.

I've been offered a Sonic 35, and also an A-TEC Maxim.

Of these the Sonic seems remarkably small in diameter (I see they do a 45 too that's fatter), and both seem significantly lighter than the Predator. So far so good.

Someone else told me I should get an ASE UTRA SL5.

Any opinions good or bad on any of these?

Any others I should consider?

Thank you in advance....

ASE are bombproof. I've personally experienced and seen a few problems with the Maxims and I don't think they are in the same class.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.

Have a look at the Dpt moderators.
    They are almost as good as the original T8 reflex but way much lighter.

I have a tikka T3 in 270 and I have an ASE SL5 mod on it, it adds just 4 inches in length to the rifle and weighs in at 14 oz, they are made of stainless steel and are built to last, they do a good job of Reducing both the felt recoil and sound produced by the 270 cal.

I got mine powder coated black to match my blued rifle. I have another on a sako 85 stainless in 243 also. I would have no hesitation in recommending one.
    Last edited by paultap; 21-10-2015 at 22:02.

Have a look at the Dpt moderators.
    They are almost as good as the original T8 reflex but way much lighter
    +1 I got one a couple of months ago, I think its great. Fraction of the size and weight of a T8, sounded a bit louder than a T8 at first but I dont notice that now but I sure do notice how much lighter it is

Got an ASE on my 30-06 and cannot fault it. Does the recoil/sound job and nice and compact.

No matter which they all add length.
    Speak to some local RFD and see if you can go and fit the different mods you are interested to see which you like the feel and balance of on your rifle calibre isn't important just the fit and feel then order that one in the right calibre.

I am a great fan of the ase utra "S" mods.

I have both the S5 and S7 , buy the S7 , to my ears it really is quite noticeably quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    ...Someone else told me I should get an ASE UTRA SL5...
    I have 2 x AU-SL5 in .30 cal. Excellent moderators. Regards JCS