Aberdeen Council to cull deer

This will not be a stalker this will be a lamp man again. The last upset was caused because Aberdeen council used a friend of the staff who was not trained in dealing with deer in high populated areas and because of this he brought the whole thing crashing down.

It's slow news in Aberdeen again clearly haha. The place is riddled with Roe and the misinformation printed spouted by PETA is as to be expected and anti's with no knowledge of the requirement for deer control. If you know the area and the surrounding schemes I reckon the deer have more chance of some of the 'locals' running dogs on them than getting culled by the 'marksmen' stated.

Don't know that the 'local stalkers' would be that lucky, sounds like they'll use contractors until they achieve the target and then have someone local to potter away thereafter. I'm pretty sure if the council is giving anyone local permission to cull they will have to have all the relevant tickets and be on the fit and competent register etc.

To be fair, the 'Gramps', of which Tullos hill is part of, has a large proportion which is walked and used by the effectively three housing schemes and industrial estates that surround it with numerous footpaths (which locals don't stick to). Personally I wouldn't do it but it might suit some; to be fair the deer are that used to seeing people they would probably be pretty soft to go at for a while.

This will not be a stalker this will be a lamp man again. The last upset was caused because Aberdeen council used a friend of the staff who was not trained in dealing with deer in high populated areas and because of this he brought the whole thing crashing down.

Nae like Aberdeen city council 6pointer haha. I wasn't aware they had lamped it but then again didn't pay much attention to the fuss last time. With the amount of folk going about at all hours up there it's certainly a tricky one to manage. The good thing is there are plenty of backstops but the thought of being badgered whilst trying to cull by some of the locals would put me off.

How do PETA get away with spouting ignorant pi5h like that!?

That's the kinda thing we need to start pouncing on and correcting .... Media in this country is shocking ....,why let truth or fact spoils good story

Paul

Sauer so what is the truth mate because you can only call it a lie if you know whats what.? I would like to here it. Mick there was a lamp and out of season on that ground mate but I did not get the full facts. But SNH track record regards doing things proper and following there own guide lines is not that good.

“Deer are culled by shooting, and using sharpshooters increases the likelihood that animals will bolt and collide with vehicles.
“What’s more, if they’re shot, many will endure horrific, lingering deaths because it can be difficult to get a clear shot, meaning many will escape, only to bleed to death.”

I believe this is the sort of p**h Sauer is referring to.

Exactly
If the shot and placement is correct then unconsciousness and death will be swift ,
If they are using responsible stalkers or even " trained" stalkers then if a clear shot isn't on then they won't shoot !

Using sharp shooters increases the animals to bolt

So the load of Joe public & dog walkers that apparently use that area already don't spook deer ?

6pointer I think your assuming that I agree with this cull?
I never said anything regarding wether or not I support it ....
But surely you can see the pish that PETA are spouting ? Is not fact and kind of crap that spoon fed to the public that does us & rest of shooting fraternity no good and needs to be corrected

What's your views on this?

Paul

Just heard the local radio and a woman from the 'save the Tullos deer group' or something speaking on the news saying that they should be looking at non lethal methods of control (don't know what she has in mind there), the council is having a meeting about it in the next few days......... That will sort it right out I'm sure lol.

"Using sharp shooters increases the animals to bolt"

I shot a fox with an un-moderated .223 about 2 weeks ago and 2 deer about 100 yrds away just carried on eating. It was dark, though.

Just heard the local radio and a woman from the 'save the Tullos deer group' or something speaking on the news saying that they should be looking at non lethal methods of control (don't know what she has in mind there), the council is having a meeting about it in the next few days......... That will sort it right out I'm sure lol.

The deer could be moved up the Dee valley a few miles. That would be non-lethal, for a wee while at least :).

Sauer the reason the council are having this problem is because they did not put a deer management plan in to action when they started planting the trees as you all will know you do not need to put a management plan in place if the land area you are planting is less than 50 hec. But sadly they did not take in to account that when you plant many areas of this size close to each other (A NET WORK) then you are creating a problem. Then you get a chap you know from down the road to cull the deer he makes a hash you blame poachers and then you want the public to support deer management. Sorry but it is us that is giving Peta ammo. Wayne is correct if local people who were trained to a high standard were place on the area at the planning stage then we would not be defending actions. Let me say this shooting at a group of deer at night the current most used method by councils and SNH to solve these problems will cause deer to run in directions they would not normally. Not a problem in remote areas but very much a problem near high speed roads. We could always blame night poachers they get blamed for every thing.
How do PETA get away with spouting ignorant pi5h like that!?

That's the kinda thing we need to start pouncing on and correcting .... Media in this country is shocking ....,why let truth or fact spoils good story

Paul

Not sure if anyone had read this article in the paper copy of the Press & Journal on Monday, but just to add to the general ignorance, there was a nice picture of some fallow deer next to the print!

Sorry but PETA is like dealing with fundamentalists .....is doesn't matter what way you wrap it up , present it or justify it.... Simple fact is they do not want deer shot period.
Regardless of planning stages what went on back when..... It's the here and now they are dealing with and if it's done correctly as it should , or hopefully should .... Then it would be assessed and trained folk or locals used ( hopefully with half an idea).

If that's in place.... And if shot placements good ... Then there is no reason for the ****e spouted by PETA.
It's uneducated sentimentalist crap that's spouted not facts .

Paul

Sauer you get me the facts on this mate and I will give you free stalking for a year. 80 DAYS I WAITED FOR A FOI Request no with waiting times like that is there any wonder people in the press post what they can. Sentimental crap you call it they are defending there position and there jobs and many believe it to be true. This site is lets say just slightly out of touch with the majority.

Deer management on public ground should be done buy local people who know the areas and know the people talking there language. I await the statement by the LDNS and Aberdeen council on this one.

I think you boys are harking back to the bad old Labour days. Now that SNP are in control at Aberdeen it will all be much, much improved. :rofl:

Give you the facts for what? I've not asked for facts on the proposed cull or how it's to be done.
If you want the facts on that crack on

I'm not interested in who,or how it gets done... Or in what council has said...
My original annoyance,is with what PETA put out ....
Regardless of who ... Or what ...

You'd like to think that the crap they spouted would be mitigated by what I said above.

Back