Roe Deer

MACKY

I am still seeing bucks with there winter coats & in full velvet.
Wondering if anybody else is finding the same on there ground.
Located near Loch Lomond.

John

yep!....perthshire and the borders last weekend, shot one in velvet and winter coat (young buck) and saw a couple of others in velvet. And in the borders i saw one in velvet and shot a middle aged beast clean but in loose winter coat.

i reckon the rut may well be a tad later this year also....as the does in the north especially will most likeley of delayed embryonic growth a little longer to accommodate for the lack of feeding due to the hard weather.

regards

steveM

Hi
I was out this Morning and see a very nice buck still in velvet, But i have also seen clean bucks, I am located in Norfolk.

Down here in Hampshire they are starting to change - everything has been looking scruffy for the last couple of weeks. I saw a mature roe doe in immaculate winter coat only last Wednesday. I think we are still some time off seeing full summer coats.
Some of the big bucks have been clean for a few weeks now, but most yearlings are still in full velvet and still not showing much sign of cleaning.

Whent out on my ground last week got in to about 40m from a good mature buck still in winter coat & no sign of any fraying on the antlers.
This is the same buck that gave me the run-around last year, stick out rifle ready safety off got it in the sights. Safety back on took my head off the stalk & watched it for about 5 min till he finale realised somthing was up & he took off into the trees.

Will get him later when he is in better condition that wood have been my first buck of the year maybe next time.

John

Yep, young bucks still in velvet and all still mainly winter jacketed (I reckon they are at least 2 weeks behind, Galloways and Lancs)

hi,

last week aberdeen two young bucks:D seen both velvet, one was minute:eek:. spoke to a mate about his general size and stature and he reckons fluke..... shame . by god he was small though a wee umpa lumpa ha ha of a deer:D. seen lots by the road in aberfeldy perth etc most if not all in velvet still.... shot one two weeks ago west lothian clean as.. seems to be the luck of the draw or even how much cover they have found during winter

I shoot halfway between Loch Lomond and Stirling and the bucks I've seen are still winter coated and velvet.

Brianm

decided to try the new section 1 shotty out this morning, slung up a cammo screen and sat down for a few hours to see what was about, needless to say not a shot was taken (and i was hoping to bash out all 8 in under 2 secs)! however i did see two wonderful brown hares boxing away about 15 ft away from me and then promptly followed by a roe buck in vevet and winter coat, he appeared about 8 ft away from me, came through the fence, had a little browse, came and had a sniff of the cammo netting, sat down in the grass (no more than 20 ft away) and chewed the cud for about 20 mins. he then carried on about his browsing and wondered off without a care in the world. a truly great expierence.

so decided to try again in a different area this evening, same thing, up with the net, sat back and waited, and would you believe it, the same buck appeared again! not so close this time but still within 50ft of me. a truly great day. but still not a shot fired with my shotty! grr.

Skipp. a late rut is looking very likeley!

Even in West Sussex the bucks are still not clean. Older 6 pointers are clean, but anything smaller is still in heavy velvet. Their coats are changing but many are still in winter coat. Everything is late this year, I would estimate that it is about 2 weeks behind schedule, and many of the bucks at present seem to be keeping to cover and woodland edges, they appear to be staying tight in and not moving as much as one would expect.

ATB

Sikamalc

many of the bucks at present seem to be keeping to cover and woodland edges, they appear to be staying tight in and not moving as much as one would expect

An interesting observation - I'm not getting the roe movement I'd expect to see until maybe half an hour before last light at the earliest. Plenty showing early morning though.

Hi Mole,

yes the last two weekends with clients have been much the same. The deer are not moving really, and when they are its about 45 minutes before dark, and even then they are not moving in the open much. Early mornings are about the same in that they are only moving for a very short period, and again not crossing open spaces much.

Last Sunday was not any better as heavy rain was forecast and there was even less movement, as it appeared that due to the expected weather front they where laying low and staying in cover. This time of year one would expect to see the bucks crossing open fields, grazing and moving around and stretching their legs a bit. This year has started completely different to last year.

Sikamalc

Hi all.
Most bucks here are clean apart from the youngsters.
I have had an Irish guest here for five days and we have got him six bucks fortunately with no mishaps.
His last one, shown below, should make a Silver medal as after being on the top of the gas fire it now weighs 535 gramms.

HWH.
1MEDALROEHEADplus2common004.jpg

Back