RFD to RFD

you wouldn't notify of disposal until it is disposed of surely
I have several rifles that are on my certificate but are not mine
some in my possession now some with their owner

no illegal possession unless you notified of disposal but still had the rifle in your possession

The guidance appears to say to complete the buyers ticket and then notify the FLD. If this is now to be done before sending the rifle ........

God I wish you were all as pedantic when the police say "yes we know your FAC has expired but it is in our system you don't need a section 7" or to tell the police "you don't need a DSC1 to buy a deer calibre rifle",Or "where does it say I have to have a gunsafe for my shotguns or bugger off "I am not going to phone in and tell you I am going shooting" or " I have good reason to have a humane despatch pistol and where in the law does it say it has to be reduced to two shots"

A I being pedantic? Maybe so, but the current (new) guidance doesn't seem to work to me.

For or instance when am I supposed to notify of disposal? When I complete the buyers certificate, when I deposit rifle at my RFD (I'm not disposing of it to him now am I) or when the buyer picks it up?

How should I know when the buyer picks it up? No one has a legal obligation to tell me.....

as an example, I bought a rifle about 6 months ago which was shipped straight to my RFD. It's still there and on his books as he is the-barrelling it for me. According to the new system, it should still be on the sellers certificate (not notified as disposed) and as a consequence he would not be able to do a 1for1 variation to buy a new rifle???

just doesn't seem to work as well as the old system.....

Sorry I raised the subject now :doh:. Thought (and still do) that it's perfectly clear enough and with a little thought, nothing about it is unworkable or illegal. You want to sell, you find a buyer, you request their cert for signing, and before you sign, you deposit your firearm with your RFD face to face, who transfers it to the buyer's RFD. You sell to the new owner and their RFD holds onto the rifle until the new owner produces the signed certificate. You are not in possession once you leave with the RFD and they can legally hold the rifle for the new owner. It may still appear on your certificate details until they submit their notification to their FLO but any which way you do it, there'll be a delay on the system between who has what on their certificate. What matters is that the proper notifications happen, even with overlap, and that FTF with RFDs takes place.

We could go in circles forever with the debate, so probably best just to comply with what your own FLO accepts and leave it at that. As geordieh says, there's plenty of other issues where we don't seem to see the same degree of debate and pedantry. The notes on your FAC may be "just guidance" but they do after all set out how to comply with the FAA 1968 and its subsequent amendments. You're all grown ups, so are responsible for your own actions. No-one's telling anyone else what to do, but a valid point was raised, debated, and seems to be done to death now :D.

Swillington shooting supplies want your fac in the post. End of.
Confusing isn't it, the lack of consistency even in the trade.

i have ordered two batches of expanding bullets from reloading solutions over the past few months. Paid them over the phone, they arrived the next day at my local rfd. I went in to my local rfd and picked them up, after he had check my authority to possess and added the purchase to my ticket.

God I wish you were all as pedantic when the police say "yes we know your FAC has expired but it is in our system you don't need a section 7" or to tell the police "you don't need a DSC1 to buy a deer calibre rifle",Or "where does it say I have to have a gunsafe for my shotguns or bugger off "I am not going to phone in and tell you I am going shooting" or " I have good reason to have a humane despatch pistol and where in the law does it say it has to be reduced to two shots"

I am!!
:thumb:

Absolutely, with clarification given under the "what the law means" section, namely:

In the case of a remote (long distance)sale, the certificate will have to be posted to the dealer or private certificate holder selling thefirearm. They will endorse it and return it."

Nothing ambiguous or difficult there. Why do some see this as a hurdle when it's the law?

so the way you get round it is to put it into the rfd system for a "fee" let them move it around via courier between rfd's then buy it from the dealer for a "fee". Usually £20 at each end. The dealer writes it on to your cert when you pick it up. The point being, the rifle is secure and within an rfd system. Do your deal in the background.

so the way you get round it is to put it into the rfd system for a "fee" let them move it around via courier between rfd's then buy it from the dealer for a "fee". Usually £20 at each end. The dealer writes it on to your cert when you pick it up. The point being, the rifle is secure and within an rfd system. Do your deal in the background.

Except that some dealers refuse to do that because they consider it illegal (as does it seems the Gun Trade Association) if they haven't first purchased the rifle (and I'm not talking about "give us a quid to make it look like we've bought it and we'll move it around the system, wink wink"), including my own RFD, so the only choice that I have is to comply with the instructions given by my firearms licencing team and the RFD.

Except that some dealers refuse to do that because they consider it illegal (as does it seems the Gun Trade Association) if they haven't first purchased the rifle (and I'm not talking about "give us a quid to make it look like we've bought it and we'll move it around the system, wink wink"), including my own RFD, so the only choice that I have is to comply with the instructions given by my firearms licencing team and the RFD.

Is there another rfd local to you who might have a different view of the situation?

” In the case of a remote (long distance)sale, the certificate will have to be posted to the dealer or private certificate holder selling thefirearm. They will endorse it and return it."

Then what happens when FAC goes missing in the post ??????

Sorry my certificate does not leave my possession.

David.

which ones?

just for argument sake I wonder what the consensus is on someone purchasing section 5 ammo over the phone and having it shipped to an RFD for collection.?...

which ones?

just for argument sake I wonder what the consensus is on someone purchasing section 5 ammo over the phone and having it shipped to an RFD for collection.?...

S5 (bullets and ammunition) I thought followed the same rules as for transfer of S1? ie whilst they can't be ordered via postal services, you can pick them up F2F from your nearest RFD but again, the seller (whoever that may be) has to complete your ticket and check your entitlement to S5 ammo.

£80 worth of fuel is worth it against a 1k rifle, anyway depending on the RFDs you are using, £25 costs for the sellers RFD transaction + postage and £25 for the recieving RFDs costs there is not much in it.

Ian

Petrol is cheap, I'm self employed so my time is not.

Back