Muzzle Brake.

FrenchieBoy

I bought a cheap muzzle brake as I wanted to try to "tame" my .270 rifle a little. I normally use a T8 moderator but they are quite big and bulky and make my rifle quite heavy to carry around when stalking etc. I made this quick video to show how my .270 (Parker Hale Safari) behaves when nothing is screwed on the end of the barrel and then with the T8 and finally with the cheap muzzle brake I bought.
Ok there is still some felt recoil and a minimum amount of muzzle flip but in my opinion this muzzle brake does the job quite well and is well worth the £18.50 (Including postage) it cost me!

Well if it works for you Nice one!

Where did you buy yours from if you don't mind me asking ?

Paul

It certainly looks better on the end of a classic sporting weight rifle than a can but will do nothing for noise reduction in the field. Also, if you intend to use it at a range with other folk around you'll not be particularly popular!

Cheers

K

Fenchie I want one, I have a t8 fitted to my Lakelander 243,how do I know what thread etc to order muzzle brake.
Regards Tony.

oh yes, on a 243 and 30-06 I use a quatromax sold to me by David Muir dm
at.gif
customcartridges.com

It certainly looks better on the end of a classic sporting weight rifle than a can but will do nothing for noise reduction in the field. Also, if you intend to use it at a range with other folk around you'll not be particularly popular!

Cheers

K

I agree with what you are saying about the looks of a muzzle brake on a sporting rifle rather than having a great big can hanging off the end.
Fortunately the noise doesn't effect most of my shooting and I don't bother with going to rifle ranges. Having said that though I will be keeping my T8 in case I have to go anywhere that is "noise sensitive".

Fenchie I want one, I have a t8 fitted to my Lakelander 243,how do I know what thread etc to order muzzle brake.
Regards Tony.

Unfortunately Tony I don't know how to tell you what thread your rifle has. I guess the only way to find out is to take it to a gunsmith and ask them, or maybe an engineering workshop.
These from Simon Pinkney are in 1/2 inch x 20 UNF, but after speaking to Simon from what I can gather he will make one to any individuals specification. You can contact Simon via his web site once you find out what thread you need the muzzle brake to have.
Sorry I can't be of more help mate!

Regards Tony.

post up a picture
it will be 1/2" unf most likely

measure the outer diameter of the thread ideally with calipers but the options are few for a 6mm sporter barrel

Last edited:
Good video, just spoiled it for me with the bolt thrown forward muzzle up, still I am pedantic old sod!;)

I have to agree with you on both points - Yes you can be a "pedantic old sod" sometimes :doh: but more importantly about the rifle positioniong when throwing a round into the chamber - Something I (And no doubt a few other shooters) must be more aware of in the future!
Well spotted and pointed out!:tiphat:

Back