Advise on asking for a change in FAC conditions

Milligan

Hi,

I currently have a .308 on my ticket for target and I'd like to get a condition added for stalking. Logic being I can up/download this for everything from Roe to Reds and pigs.

This will obviously involve writing a polite letter to my FEO (Surrey) requesting this but the rub is that I don't have land of my own that is suitable for .308, so it's down to paid stalking.

Question is, how do I pitch this to the FEO as a reason and avoid having a named mentor?

Thanks,

Will

Will,

When I applied for my FAC last year with Surrey Police I had to show a booking for some paid stalking as I had no land of my own. I booked a couple of trips with IanF of this site and had a great time. In terms of a mentoring condition , I had nobody specifc named, but the condition was written such that I had to be accompanied by someone with an open certificate that included deer conditions.

Not quite the same situation as yourself as this was a new application, but I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks, it gives me a little more confidence knowing you got it on a new application.
I already have .22lr for bunnies and .223 for fox but want to move to deer and know the FEO will challenge it, as his role requires.

Hi,

I currently have a .308 on my ticket for target and I'd like to get a condition added for stalking. Logic being I can up/download this for everything from Roe to Reds and pigs.

Will, I'd suggest you stay with one loading for all your shooting and get some familiarity with it rather than swapping around. In .308 a 150gr bullet in whatever style and manufacturer takes your fancy will do everything you've listed.

This will obviously involve writing a polite letter to my FEO (Surrey) requesting this but the rub is that I don't have land of my own that is suitable for .308, so it's down to paid stalking.

Question is, how do I pitch this to the FEO as a reason and avoid having a named mentor?

As has been said, you'll have to provide some evidence to provide the 'good reason' and paid outings should suffice. With regard to the 'mentoring', it's not a requirement under the Firearms Act or even listed in the HO Guidance, so this is one that some forces have decided to impose off their own backs and have been known to back down on when asked to justify it - don't forget that each application must be considered on it's own merit. Perhaps you can cite your experience with the rifle which you already have in your possession and use on the range, (plus your .223 for live quarry), if they try to play the 'public safety' card? BTW, it's the FLO who will actually be dealing with your request - the FEO does the legwork and can try to impose their own personal fads prior to your request being dealt with in the office. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I use 155gr SMK's for target and am working up a load at the moment so it would be useful to stay in the same weight class and try a Gameking or similar round.

I'm fully aware that there is no legal requirement re mentoring but the reality is I don't have much leverage, nor do I want to sour the relationship by making too much of a fuss. Sounds like I'm copping out but it is the line of least resistance!

Sorry to hear that then, as it sounds as if you've already decided to accept whatever they decide to impose.

It's always worth asking for the reasoning/justification behind a mentoring condition if faced with one, because in your case you can obviously counter any 'public safety' concerns due to your existing experience with firearms and live quarry shooting.

Last edited:
I will challenge it when it comes up, as I am sure it will, but as I mentioned I don't have a great deal of leverage in the situation!

Back