Thread: Balaclava Buck.

Balaclava Buck.

No, not that kind of Balaclava. Today is the aniversary of the charge of the Light Brigade, 25 October 1854; when, due to a major misinterpretation of orders approximately 600 British light cavalry charged the wrong battery of Russian guns and suffered very heavy casualties. My old regiment celebrate this event every year, and it's a proper party.
    No longer being part of the festivities, I decided to mark the occasion in my own way by going out for a roebuck straight after finishing nights this morning.
    Do you ever have one of those days when everything just falls into place?
    I"d not even left the car 2 minutes when I checked through the gate I'd have to pass to start my stalk and I saw a muntjac buck less than 40 metres down the woodline. He was completely oblivious to my presence which gave me more than enough time to get ready for the shot. I placed the bullet neatly behind his shoulder and he fell without so much as a twitch.
    10 minutes later and I was just checking my next field, when I saw a roebuck and a doe about 250 metres away, sauntering down the hedgeline towards me.
    At about 90 metres they both stopped to have a nibble on a bit of greenery and the buck obligingly turned broadside on, giving me a perfect opportunity.
    I gave him the same treatment as I did the munty and at the shot he set off on a flat out run with blood plainly visible pouring out of his flank. 20 metres later he hit the ground and was still.
    So, less than an hour after arriving, I was on my way to the game dealers with a full carcass tray.
    Happy little hunter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151025_065317.jpg   20151025_065347.jpg  
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

well done Harry ,not only on your success with the deer but for remembering the glorious 600.What they went through because the left hand didnt know what the right hand was doing is unbelievable ,the sheer horror of man and horse against shell and shot must have been terrifying .
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed