New Land Rover Disco Sport.

cjs66

Has any one got one or had a test drive in one, if so, what are they like?

Are they a proper motor or just a poseurs car?

cjs

New Disco sport is a lovely piece of engineering, but not the tool for any serious Shooting/field sports. An awful lot of Money to be jumping in and out of with moody boots & kit. I myself will soon be knocking out really decent quality Defenders, such as this? Any feedback positive or otherwise much appreciated !! http://www.hilltop-heritage.co.uk/e.../Shops/es771196/Categories/Heritage_Defender1

Think Malc will be onto you shortly re. trade membership! :D

I wouldn't touch one of the new 2.2 or older 2.4 Defenders with a barge pole, too many engine and tranny problems, I'm not surprised they are going out of production!
Before anyone says anything I've run Defenders for years, currently a 300tdi which is still going strong after 18 years, but the new ones are so unreliable its a joke.

Had a Disco Sport as a courtesy car for a few days - and frankly was glad to hand it back. Little bigger than a Freelander, I see it as a further Chelsea Tractor 'choice' - like the Evoque.

I was a trade member for a wee while, didnt quite work out for me with the Antler chandaliers. This Defender is not advertised for sale, but hopefully others to follow. Was merely offering an opinion on the new Disco sport, and showing a potential more economical hopefully stylish but more pratical option!

Drove a pre production car last new year and liked it as a car and liked the spec, although they didn't have the option of adaptive cruise which was available on the Evoque. Basically, the lack of adaptive cruise and the bland rear three quarter styling put me off.

Yes, it isn't much bigger than the Freelander, which is no surprise as this is the vehicle it replaces. It has a better spec and good road manners, but is agricultural compared to the Range Rover styling on the Evoque. Then again, this is supposed to be in the utility vehicle range and not the luxury vehicle range.

regards

Mark

Last edited:
New Disco sport is a lovely piece of engineering, but not the tool for any serious Shooting/field sports. An awful lot of Money to be jumping in and out of with moody boots & kit. I myself will soon be knocking out really decent quality Defenders, such as this? Any feedback positive or otherwise much appreciated !! http://www.hilltop-heritage.co.uk/e.../Shops/es771196/Categories/Heritage_Defender1

Sorry but definitely not my cup of tea, just can't be doing with these "blinged" LR's :rolleyes: Destroyed a perfectly good motor :doh:

Puzzled by such a negative comment, one wonders are you just not another " bash the landrover bridgade" who likely never owned one.Many if not most the orginal key features such as heavy duty rubber mats, easy wipe roofling & interior retained, other areas such as the rear load area enhanced with aluminium plating for hard wear/easy cleaning, quality off road tyres & winch fitted?? Rock & tree sliders, sump & steering guards fitted, adustable towing hitch nd so on. But i tell you what i would be prepared to do, you obviously have a superior off road utility vehicle, should you vehicle go further and more capable off road then you can take mine, sell it for scrap do as you wish.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I think the new disco sport is just a spin off from the Ford Edge and explorer that is marketed in other continents as a mid range suv. Same as most other land rovers, made out of left over parts and cobbled together to make something substandard and overpriced. What made me laugh was when I noticed that all the dash components in the disco 3 and 4 are the same parts that where in the old 2003-2006 ford fiestas and transit vans. Why would anyone consider a Disco or Range Rover when you could have a Toyota landcruiser.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I think the new disco sport is just a spin off from the Ford Edge and explorer that is marketed in other continents as a mid range suv. Same as most other land rovers, made out of left over parts and cobbled together to make something substandard and overpriced. What made me laugh was when I noticed that all the dash components in the disco 3 and 4 are the same parts that where in the old 2003-2006 ford fiestas and transit vans. Why would anyone consider a Disco or Range Rover when you could have a Toyota landcruiser.[/COLOR]

I stupidly sold a land cruiser for a newer but less reliable rangerover. I should know better I've had many of both

most of the parts we make are common across the landrover range and are coming to the end of their production life.the new ones come in next year and are brand new so check the press Landrover fans as we havent seen them yet and were going be making them!!!

is the new disco sport not a RR sport in disguise?

watched a guy with a pimped up one in Edinburgh this morning.
almost brand new and he couldnt open and get in the car without the alarm going off.....

most amusing

reminded me whilst they look great in theory I would NEVER buy one

I mentioned it in another post the other day but have a family member who works for a landrover dealer there having major problems with the new discovery sports. There that bad that they've been breaking down trying to get them off the transporters! and if they get off the lorry they break down between there and the compound around the back of the dealership!!!

I love my Discovery 4, I've had Discoveries continuously since 1992 along with a Series 3, an English Lightweight (ex RAF) and a Diesel Lightweight (ex Dutch army with ALL the kit..)

The new RRs look awful and the new Discos look like the new RRs... :(

Disco sport is just another Chelsea tractor but I'm sure they'll sell loads

I do like the disco 3 and 4 but until they do a v8 petrol with a manual gearbox I won't be buying one

I baught a Range Rover vogue se td6 in 2005 brand new I had it 7 years and did 130k miles in it and it was a very reliable and lovely 4x4 and to be honest I regret trading it in

Sold a defender 300 Tdi had it 8 years now got a Discovery 3 commercial & I'll never look back , it's like driving a rolls Royce compared to the Defender ATB

The Land cruiser is indeed a mighty fine vehicle, I’ve just spent the best part of 10 days bouncing about in one over the South African veldt. That said for my two penny worth,if we are talking top end, I would opt for a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Hand “Overfinch” be it a Disco or Rangey model. Ridiculous price new, but there are some great 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand buys out there, and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]Hand You get an awful lot of motor for your buck, and You can pick them up considerably cheaper then a decent spec new Disco. With Overfinch products, I’m not just talking superficially.

My opinion is that a TD5 or V8 Defender 110 preferably aCrew cab or county spec, with a few minor modifications and the right tuning really does takes some beating. I’ve hadboth Mitsubishi and Toyota Pick up’s previous, as well as top of the range V6 Mitsubishi Shogun. All were pretty good reliable vehicles in their own right(The Mitsubishi Pick up is fine with a little weight over the back wheels, the Shogun great on tarmac, but not so great off, wheel articulation comes up short).

None however are as strong or built for continuous off road use in all conditions as is the Defender, the Defender 110 with the right modifications can also behave prettywell on the Tarmac. I won’t get into towing ability as none of the competition have ever matched Land rover in that department, in my humble opinion.

I’ve no doubt like numerous others on here, I’ve yet too meet a PH in South Africa whom as a goodword say about any “Land rover products”, however few have owned or actually driven one. The import Tax in SA coupled with lack/price of spare parts usually means the “Gaffer” looks elsewhere for the numerous cheaper options, hence the Defender in particular rarely gets chance to prove its worth.

Each to their own,but Land rover products often get a unjust “bashing” in my opinion, more especially from overseas. Hand on heart having owned one in one form or another now for the last 25 years, touch wood I’ve yet to have a bad un !!:lol:

Last edited:
Back