Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any tips for 1st time deer stalk.

Any tips for 1st time deer stalk.

Hi all, going on my 1st deer stalk for fallow next month. I'm using a steyr pro hunter in .243 and a schimbt and bender 8x56 scope with ppu 90g soft point. Is their any hints and tips you guys can give me to make it a successful day.

Kind regards

Relax, enjoy yourself, make sure your rifle is zeroed , listen to what your guide says at all times-you can't be too quiet while stalking and most importantly don't be pressured into taking a shot you are not comfortable with . Hope you enjoy your day and let us know how you get on.

Don't forget to set yr alarm ! and yr second alarm as you will be awake till about 2 hrs before the alarm then deep sleep when it's time to wake up .
    good luck

Thanks lads. What sort of range shall be a good zero and what sort of range would be expected to shoot a fallow?

I normally zero an inch high at 100 yards but am not expecting to shoot past 150 yards on a deer.

Thanks again appreciate your help guys

Inch high at 100 is fine and stick to your 150 limit , the last thing you want is a wounded/lost beast on your first stalk, normally your guide will have his own idea on what range a newbie is allowed to shoot at.

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Dan View Post
    Is their any hints and tips you guys can give me to make it a successful day.

Kind regards
    don't miss ;-)

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Don't worry too much about ballistic ballocks; unless extremely close (less than 30m) or over 200m away aim where you want to hit and you will end up with a dead deer.

Listen to your guide and don't be shy to ask questions, but pick your moments if you're going to have a conversation.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY

Don't assume that because you're going stalking you'll get a deer. Or even that you'll see one.

(I've been out 4 times now, and have at least progressed to the point that I believe that deer do actually exist.... )

Relax, enjoy yourself and as others have said don't take shots your not comfortable with. Better to take your time, steady yourself and squeeze the trigger off as slowly as you can rather than rush it! If you take too long to get the shot off because you're not comfortable/steady and the deer gets away then so be it, it wasn't meant to happen and the fact you haven't rushed it and wounded it I firmly believe you'll be rewarded for it with an even better trophy! Good luck and let us all know how you get on!