Thread: Hi from Aberdeenshire

Hi from Aberdeenshire

Evening All,

I am an Aussie but been in Aberdeen(+shire) for 10 years now (just don't mention the Rugby going on last weekends efforts...). Waited until I knew I was going to be here a long time and got my passport etc, then thought I may as well get set up over here with some firearms. Applied for my FAC in January... paperwork coming through now. Aberdeenshire is crazy busy for FAC's at the moment! Had my SGC for 2 years already.

Past experience? Guess it started when I was about 7 or 8 and shooting rabbits with the old man using a single shot .410 or a single shot WW1 .22lr training rifle. Then progressed to a 243 and a 12ga and went out after feral goats and pigs, donkeys, foxes etc. Had a period off from the age of 17-30ish but now back into it. Recently been shooting a lot every time I go home as the old man has some new toys.... tricked up remmie 700 in 22-250 for the foxes and a T3 lite stainless in 308 for the bigger beasts.

In the UK I've been stalking with the local estate for the past 12 months using the estate rifle and got a few Roe, and also been a member of the local rifle club for the last 2 years or so.

About to purchase a sako 85 in 6.5x55 for combined foxing/deer set-up and also a 10/22 for the club and bunnies and probably a HMR at some stage as well.

Just need to break into the "inner circle" with the local stalking community but it all takes time... until then I'll keep buying days off the estate when I have the time to go out.

Welcome, Mike

Be good to meet up at some stage.

Welcome aboard, will probably catch up at Drums or Cairngall if we haven't already.

Good to see another local member (I'm far newer to shooting though).

FYI I go to Drums and Cairngall also.

thanks for the replies. I'm not down at Drums/Cairngall/Blackdog much as I dont have my own rifles yet so a bit of a moot point up until now. Will need to be down there a little more to see what ammo the new 6.5 prefers though....

If you see me at the range, mention this thread... cant miss me... not too many 6ft 5 aussies up in the NE of the UK!

I'm an old fart and been shooting for donkeys years , I shoot at Drums , more often Cairngall , welcome aboard , promise not to moan too much about the cheating Aussies ;))
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses