A 30-06 stalking rifle

RPA.260

So I am set on calibre and I have a couple sako 85s in other calibre's and really like them. I fancy a different rifle, I do like the blaser but I don't think I will use the switch barrels so I don't think I will use it as designed. I am liking the look of the Saure 202 in synthetic either thumb hole or a standard stock. I would like to here views on the Saure as that's what i am leaning towards.

My Sauer 202 in 30-06......I highly recommend this rifle, super accurate, reliable and well made !

Sauer 202 30-06.jpg

I've got a Sako 85 in 30-06 and really enjoy shooting it. It's a well-balanced, good looking gun. I have a couple of other 85 varmints too, so I know what you mean about wanting a different rifle. I have a Sauer 202 Outback in 6.5x55, so I am only a new barrel away from your suggested format. In short, the rifle is superb. I admit I had been shooting it a while before I noticed comments indicating that I should dislike the safety. :D Frankly, I find it slick, quiet and easy to use even with a heavy glove.

I've used mine heavily in all weather conditions and it has never missed a beat. I think you are making the right choice with the synthetic option, but I would also get the fluted barrel (standard Outback configuration). I've shot the other variants and found them either heavy or not as well balanced. I am tempted to get a 30-06 barrel for mine.

regards

Ian

Have a look at the Heym SR21 or SR20, or Mauser M03 or M12 whilst you are about it. Same quality as the Sauer, but different in feel. I have tried Sauers and they are very nice rifles, but personally I don't find them very comfortable to shoot.

I am biased but from my personal experience go for a Sauer. I have 202's in .223 and 6.5x55. Both in wooden stocks (old school here lol). One is a standard style and one is a thumb hole. Both will shoot all kinds of factory ammunition without any problems and are super accurate with home loads. Beautifully made and will easily outlast me. Don't understand why people don't like the safety system. It is wonderfully simple, totally silent and, for me at least, completely intuitive.

The Barrel on the RPA can I cut it down with the fluting. It's a 24" with a mod is too long, I'm aware it wouldn't look right but with a over barrel mod you wouldn't see it. Do we have any gunsmiths here who could possibly cut it down and make it more usable.

Really would like a lighter and handy rifle. Who deals with hyme rifles in the south west so I can have a look.

That's mine I'm selling.

why not have it rebarreled with a shorter and lighter profile. Must be cheaper than a new rifle and you could perhaps keep the old barrel as a spare. Would need a variation for you to do so of course. Otherwise chop, recrown and rethread should be possible

Take a look at the new all weather stainless Win model 70's. In a 30 06 it's the classic "rifleman's rifle" once again.

Sharkey

Back