Neck turning/reaming

Greener Jim

Hypothetically, if I wanted to cut a case down a lot, as in below the shoulder, to create a short straight walled case (obviously either rimmed or belted brass) would I be better reaming or turning the neck?

As an example, 458x1.5" Barnes is any case based on the 375 h&h shortened to 1.5". Now the brass will be much thicker further down the case so if I seat a bullet it may not chamber as it'll be wide at the case mouth.

would think you would be better cutting straight into the side wall if you are removing that much

even without a lathe I cut down a 300 Win Mag case just above the web using a Lee Lock stud in a drill and a junior hacksaw blade.

remarkably tidy job through i say it myself

are you talking about the first cutting to shorten or the wall thinning required after that?
I was referring to the former

I guessed as much, I was referring to the latter. Apologies for my lack of clarity.
I have no experience with a Barnes 458x1.5 but I have some with the Barnes 458x2" cartridge. I built one for a guy on a Pattern 14 action once. The neck wasn't thinned at all. A properly ground reamer will take the neck thickness into consideration like the 300AAC, or 20 Practical. It was a straight saw and trim to length deal. If you haven't had the reamer made, don't let the maker talk you into any dimension that alters from this. ~Muir

At the shoulder the stock 375H&H is .460 but trimmed to down 3/8" from that mark to 2" length it is around .480 external dimension. Think about it: What would that pretty much straight cartridge look like if you neck turned it?? It would look ruined. Your need for reaming might be valid but your brass, dies and reamer will dictate that. I don't remember doing anything other than shooting the one I built. (.375 H&H Winchester brass) ~Muir

Happy days. To clarify I'm not planning on a .458x1.5" (or 2" for that matter)

Thanks for the help Muir, I'll get hold of some brass, cut it down and measure it up. I felt that reaming may be the way forward if the neck needed thinning but thought I'd ask just in case. Nice to know that I may even not need to.

Back