Thread: Peregrine falcon display flight

Peregrine falcon display flight

I was at Wyevale garden centre (Thornbury) on Monday lunchtime when I heard a peregrine calling. Looking up I saw a pair. One looked like it was carrying a transmiter and the othe was diving at it, this went on for a minute or so and then I saw a small dead bird drop from one and was immeadiately stooped on by what I assume was the female who caught it in free fall.

I assume the pair are nesting in the nearby quarry. Although quite common in the area I have never seen a courtship display.

Intrestingly I bet all the RSPB members in the centre were oblivious of the overhead events.

My office window looks skyward - an attic room - out over Edinburgh. I regulalry see the peregrines that nest on St Mary's Cathedral stooping at and catching pigeons etc. I have also seen them out near Dunbar hunting waders over the foreshore - once saw one chasing a Red shank - and it missed!

RSPB members would n't have seen it as it wasn't an RSPB reserve!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04021.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	969I have some Peregrines nestung in my garden and have just hatched out some young, also Goshawk eggs in the incubator.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04012.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	526.3 KB 
ID:	970

Thats awesome fella nice one ,