25-06

Tomm

hi,

I am thinking of getting a tikka in the above calibre. I have read through all the past threads on this calibre and think it would suit my needs quite well. I only shoot foxes and reds. my rfd stocks the sako 117gr and the federal 100gr nosler in factory ammunition so providing one of those works ok I should be ok as far as ammunition. are there any reasons why I shouldn't get one or is there anything different you would recommend instead? seems to be a nice fast calibre with not much drop out to 300 yards.

Tomm

25-06 will do what you want to do with it well.It can be a bit "explosive" on game close in,but that can be said of alot of Calibers and comes down to bullet choice.
How does the price of factory ammo compare to more common calibers like 270 and 3006?Both of those calibers are more versatile and offer a wider selection of bullets.If you want one,buy one and make it work for you.

All the best

Mike

Nothing at all wrong with .25-06 for any legal quarry in the UK. I've used one for the past fifteen years....lots of hinds using my loads with the Sierra 100gn Prohunter bullet and hinds & a few stags with the Nosler 110gn Accubond bullet. Works a treat & never found the need for a bullet heavier than the 110gn.

The 110gn AB just goes straight through...I've shot hinds, calves & stags with it at between 60 & 200+ yds & it performs pretty much as a Nosler Partition bullet.

I understand if you can make the 117gn Hornady SST bullet work, that's pretty good, but I haven't seen any factory loaded stuff with that bullet work in either my rifle or a Sako 85 a friend has.

Big fan of this calibre. Also for the last 15 years. Never had it explode anything but I stick to the 100gr Noslers.

I can't compare the 25-06 to anything else because it's all I've ever used, for roe and red. I use Federal Premium 117gn sierra gameking in my Sako 75 and that works just fine. I got this calibre on the recommendations of people that know far more about the subject than I do and have no regrets.

I've shot deer at ranges of 50m to 200m and everything has gone down quickly, and so far I haven't found the meat damage excessive.

American threads will tell you that the .243 Winchester out performs the .25-06 with 100 grain bullets and that the .270 Winchester outperforms it with 120 grain bullets. So it is very much a "niche" cartridge and if that's the niche you want to fill than all's well and good. Only the user can decide if he needs this or would be better served, in reality, wit either a .243 or a .270.

Those West Country Red are big fellas aren't they?

I personally have nothing against any of the -06 derived cartridges
but I would want more than 117gr for big stags and a better choice of bullets if I was knocking down anything more than a few of them in any one year.

Flatness is a myth.

personally I like the .270 better
it chucks heavier and lighter bullets faster with more energy
has a higher pressure rating too.
the range of bullets runs from 90-150gr (and up to 180gr if you can be arsed to find them)

Most American .243s are at least 22-inch barrel, and many of them are 24, like some of the Remingtons, with 1:9 rates of twist. That is a whole different machine than a 20-inch with a 1:10 twist, when it comes to 100-gr bullets.

A 100-gr bullet is a standard 24-inch barrel .25-06 is 10% faster with ease.

Those West Country Red are big fellas aren't they?

I personally have nothing against any of the -06 derived cartridges
but I would want more than 117gr for big stags and a better choice of bullets if I was knocking down anything more than a few of them in any one year.

Flatness is a myth.

personally I like the .270 better
it chucks heavier and lighter bullets faster with more energy
has a higher pressure rating too.
the range of bullets runs from 90-150gr (and up to 180gr if you can be arsed to find them)

Drop dead zero out to 250yards? That's not myth.

Drop dead zero out to 250yards? That's not myth.

I meant that nothing shoots flat except Luke Skywalker's laser gun...

But....

a 25-06 firing 117gr Hornady SPBT (BC 0.391) at 3000fps

has a worse trajectory than

a .270 shooting 130gr SST or Interlock SPBT (BC 0.46) at 3100fps

both factory speeds

0-100-150-200-250-300

-1.5, 1.55, 1.4, 0.00, -2.74, -6.98

vs

-1.5, 1.23, 1.18, 0.0, -2.34, -5.93

its flat...but not that flat!

and the 130's hit a shed load harder

I seem to remember you made a similar comment about the .17hmr once.,

No not flat but flatter than most and better with a lighter bullet than heavier, surprise, surprise.

Damn fine calibre.

thats not really comparing like for like bullets tho

you can run the number for both firing 100gr and it only looks worse

.270 data for 100gr is up around 3400-3500fps at its max
.25-06 is more like 3200-3300 at best

its just another calibre/cartridge, neither is the holy grail, but what I said is if I was shooting more than a few big deer I would want more energy

I seem to remember you made a similar comment about the .17hmr once.,

No not flat but flatter than most and better with a lighter bullet than heavier, surprise, surprise.

Damn fine calibre.

similar to what?
I admit I was sucked in by the marketing of the HMR...turns out that is all it was!
I bought one on the basis of its "laser trajectory"...shame it cant stay on a 2 pence piece at 100yds...

but I digress

I don't see the point of moving to a smaller calibre to shoot a lighter bullet if the parent case shoots heavier bullets faster with better stats.
But actually I couldn't care less what people use, just do so on an informed decision
If someone wants a 25-06...buy one....just don't say "its super flat", "super fast" or "hits like a hammer" because the trajectory, the MV or the ME don't match those statement when compared to other commonly available cartridges

I have watched stags hit with 25-06, sure it can be down shot placement and bullet construction but i personally wasn't that impressed.

its marketed as this flat shooting hard hitting laser beam.
unless you hand load and push the max loads on the ragged edge....you wont see the benefits of the hype....In my opinion

factory ammunition is more available in .270 but I fancied something different, if there was a light hunting ballistic tip in .270 then that would've been my choice but I can only find the v-max in factory, v max speeds and trajectory with a 110gr hunting ballistic tip sounds perfect for fox and neck shots

Looking at data the .270 is better in every way. However calibre choice is an objective, emotive thing. A 25-06 with the right bullets will be just fine. The Nosler 110gr accubond would be great if you ever reloaded.

It's worth considering whether you'll be able to get decent 100gr or heavier lead free ammo if you'll ever be shooting on FC land in Scotland.

.308 loaded with Barnes ttsx 110 or 130 witch I use have some interesting ballistics just as hard hitting as any of the above ,as said already if you go down the loading route most calibres can be pushed or pulled to what you need ,but what I do know is that the factory rounds are very expensive for 25-06

Back