Correct stalking practice?

Shropshire Dan

Hi all having just booked my 1st deer stalk I'd like to know what are the correct practices?

Do I keep the rifle loaded whilst on my back?
Do I load when ready to take a shot?
Also do I stop and glass for deer or wait for the guide to stop?

I'm probably just thinking to much into it but suppose that's just me worrying lol.

Thanks all

One could generalise based on common practices, depending on whether you're in woods/farmland or on the hill, but on the whole I think these are questions which perhaps your stalker would be best-placed to answer.

Who are you stalking with..... I understand not wanting to say.
There is a lot more questions I'd be asking for a first stalk. Like said, ask the stalker, then put the info on here to what they say if unsure. Nothing wrong with cross referencing.
Enjoy the experience, don't be afraid to ask questions direct before and after the stalk regardless of what you want to know. Don't feel off putting asking a question that may seem amituriesh. If they are worth the salt they should encourage or explain what and why they are undertaking the steps.

Good luck, keep us informed. Enjoy and learn from each experience.

Last edited:
Hi all having just booked my 1st deer stalk I'd like to know what are the correct practices?

I'm probably just thinking to much into it but suppose that's just me worrying lol.

Thanks all

Obviously ask your man as there are more things than the above to talk about - however, some basic rules of thumb I'd recommend below:

Load rifle but keep them under the bolt whilst stalking
Walk behind your guide at approx. arms length - not only do you reduce your visible profile, you can easily follow experienced footsteps, tap to point out anything missed and also whisper anything pertinent (otherwise keep stum - he still gets paid if you chat so loud everything does one!)
Wait for guide to stop and glass in the direction he indicates
Load quietly (practice with some empty cases at home) when you've correctly confirmed species, sex and only if you are comfortable to take the shot

Most of all - ENJOY the experience - oh, and sort the financials out first too!!!! :thumb:

Thanks lads. He's kind of a friend of a friend. We're going to be shooting fallow does in Worcestershire. I'm paying £70 for the day. I can shoot upto 3 deer with the only charge being £50 a carcass if I want to keep any.

Thanks Dan

Thanks lads. He's kind of a friend of a friend. We're going to be shooting fallow does in Worcestershire. I'm paying £70 for the day. I can shoot upto 3 deer with the only charge being £50 a carcass if I want to keep any.

Thanks Dan

Good value, that. Enjoy it, fingers crossed you'll get to pull the trigger.

Thanks all

Its nerve racking I know I was there last year

As above talk to your guide about what he wants you to do. My first pro stalk i started out by emailing and stating it was my first time out and requested a list of kit and preconditions

If its woodlands with rides or just plain woods it is very likley you will need the rifel loaded, safety on, on your sholder but be very very muzle aware especialy going under branches & check the safety is on every so often. Full on safety procedures are required on slipery ground crossing ditches etc. SO stop, unload, cross hazard, check rifel re load

I did woodland stalking with four diferent pro stalkers and they all wanted rifel loaded safety on.

If your in woodlands practice getting rifel to sticks quickly before you go out because you can get in a right mess and muzzle awareness can go out the window due to stress and thats not good at all

I had a trainee put rifel to sticks then both hands on the rifel. Sticks slid backwards and rifel sort of fell off the frront and ended up fortunatly pointing in the mud. He had done well to remember not to put his finger in the triger guard or I am sure we would have had an accidental discharge

Your shot window in woodlands is likley to be very small. Getting the rifel to stick safety off to fire is more than enough of a chalange let alone trying to cock the rifel without disterbing the deer

Open hill is totaly diferent and you could have the chamber empty and not load till you get on to a potential deer so see a deer at 400m? load up stalk in. I dont know if its cosha but for me I have the mag in my pocket empty rifel and in such a state i will cross ditches and climb fences with far less concern than with a loaded rifel

As for glassing a deer? you will do well to spot one the experianced guid hasn't but if you do then do not hesitate to stop and do what you want to do.

You after all are paying for the day

ATB

Chasey

Last edited:
It's all mostly common sense. Try not to over think it or you will be so busy trying to remember this and that, that you will not be relaxed.
Just keep safety in mind and after that just go out and enjoy the day. If you are walking too far back or making too much noise or whatever, your guide will tell you.
I enjoy the blank days as much as the successful days once I'm seeing fresh signs of deer. Good luck

Thanks gents I suppose a blank day especially 1st time is as much a benifit as shooting deer. I'll hopefully learn alot and perhaps next time have more of an understanding of what's expected

Was on my first "live" stalk this morning - fleeting glimpse of one Roe buck (out of season now).

Guide carried the rifle (loaded) until I needed it (which I didn't) followed just behind him most of the way.

An enjoyable and informative morning despite no score

Thanks gents I suppose a blank day especially 1st time is as much a benifit as shooting deer. I'll hopefully learn alot and perhaps next time have more of an understanding of what's expected

Not quite as much benefit! :) Though certainly not to be thought of as a disaster.

Your second sentence is true of every outing and every experience…I one hundred percent agree.

Enjoy your time and listen to and learn from your guide. I discovered it is strangely easy not to register what he may be telling you, in the excitement of the moment.

Alan

Thanks chaps. Just got to get some decent binos now. I have a set of Bresser cobra 10x50 and they've always been good but wouldn't mind looking at a more compact set.

Its nerve racking I know I was there last year

As above talk to your guide about what he wants you to do. My first pro stalk i started out by emailing and stating it was my first time out and requested a list of kit and preconditions

If its woodlands with rides or just plain woods it is very likley you will need the rifel loaded, safety on, on your sholder but be very very muzle aware especialy going under branches & check the safety is on every so often. Full on safety procedures are required on slipery ground crossing ditches etc. SO stop, unload, cross hazard, check rifel re load

I did woodland stalking with four diferent pro stalkers and they all wanted rifel loaded safety on.

If your in woodlands practice getting rifel to sticks quickly before you go out because you can get in a right mess and muzzle awareness can go out the window due to stress and thats not good at all

I had a trainee put rifel to sticks then both hands on the rifel. Sticks slid backwards and rifel sort of fell off the frront and ended up fortunatly pointing in the mud. He had done well to remember not to put his finger in the triger guard or I am sure we would have had an accidental discharge

Your shot window in woodlands is likley to be very small. Getting the rifel to stick safety off to fire is more than enough of a chalange let alone trying to cock the rifel without disterbing the deer

Open hill is totaly diferent and you could have the chamber empty and not load till you get on to a potential deer so see a deer at 400m? load up stalk in. I dont know if its cosha but for me I have the mag in my pocket empty rifel and in such a state i will cross ditches and climb fences with far less concern than with a loaded rifel

As for glassing a deer? you will do well to spot one the experianced guid hasn't but if you do then do not hesitate to stop and do what you want to do.

You after all are paying for the day

ATB

Chasey

What he said and.... enjoy :)

1. Talk to your guide..........we don't bite
2. Be polite and listen but don't be afraid to ask questions.
3. Walk behind or beside your stalker. Ask him which...........if you overtake me (after I've told you not too) I'll stop and just let you aimlessly wander down an empty field or suddenly veer off in a different direction and then you'll have to catch me up.
4. Don't be afraid to tell your guide if you see an animal..........we don't see everything.
5. Get confirmation of which animal he wants you to shoot.
6. Try to be quiet.........if you are not a quiet stalker, it may mean more time spent sitting.
7. Have a go at gralloching.........we'll show you how we do it, then we'll laugh as you massacre what was a perfectly saleable carcass, that you then have to buy saving us a visit to the game dealers.
8. Expect to get the pi$$ taken.........it's only natural and we are human.

RELAX and enjoy your day. In my experience, people who are more relaxed and are out to enjoy the entire days events, come what may, are usually more successful.

Thanks guys. After reading that Teyhan1 it's made me feel alot more relaxed and generally more excited. I suppose I'm just worried about cocking up lol. I've never had my shooting/hunting scrutinised by anyone so it is a little nerve racking

I met up with one of the guides Yesterday so he could see how I group on targets and after getting a 1/2 inch group and 100 yards with ppu 100g soft point he was happy. I then tried for the 1st time shooting off sticks and managed 2 inch group at 100 yards I was embarrassed but he suggested after a little practice with sticks ill be just as steady as a bipod

Last edited:
I then tried for the 1st time shooting off sticks and managed 2 inch group at 100 yards I was embarrassed but he suggested after a little practice with sticks ill be just as steady as a bipod

Hmmm don't know about that mate... anyone who can manage a 2" group off sticks is good enough in my books... as good as most of us could do!

Hmmm don't know about that mate... anyone who can manage a 2" group off sticks is good enough in my books... as good as most of us could do!

+1 - 2" @ 100 off sticks is not too shabby and will give you a dead deer every time!

Back