Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight of fancy? - opinions sought!

Flight of fancy? - opinions sought!

I do a bit of shooting down in Kent. Not exactly the most deer rich area of the UK. So I got to thinking, where in the UK should i go when i retire? Which county if i could sit in 20 acres of woodland, would i be exposed to the most species and good numbers of at least a couple. I was thinking north Gloucestershire. If you had half a million, where would you go?I suppose i am more than half serious, not about the half million though, unfortunately!

I've had similar thoughts for years, Suffolk appeals, but it's a bit flat. Herefordshire / Gloustershire - Roe, Muntjac and pigs. I've nearly shot enough bigger deer to do me.

Dragging a Sika hybrid across a bog is wearing thin...
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 01-11-2015 at 22:13.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Not Shropshire been out twice today,15 outings not a b@@@y thing,ok it cost me nowt,but not the best county for deer..

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    New Forest, Hampshire

Sorry Mate w,ere full LOL!

Half a million wouldn't buy me my dream property, but it would enable me to introduce plenty of deer to the land I've already got!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    New Forest, Hampshire
    not with 1/2 m, for 20acres, unless you want to live in a tent.

Just a thought, 500k invested with P2P investment site can produce around 16k a year, which would buy a lot of interesting hunting, home and abroad, with no land owning hassles.

Good idea methinks if you can find a bit of woodland near to a house which suits your need and is within a couple of miles, preferably a walk to your land - for example - Gloyns Wood, Near Stoodleigh, Tiverton, Devon |
    A bit expensive but with roe and red, it might well (if safe) provide good cheap sport as well as a sound repository for any spare cash ?

May be 20 acres on its own or part of a larger wood and smaller house close by - exactly what i was thinking. Devon has two or the species around but where has four or even five species using the same area. Then i could build a high seat and live happily ever after!