Heym SR30 rifle

Triumph_Dave

If anyone on the forum has a Heym SR30 rifle, how do you rate it?. Also what is the difference between the model SR30N and the SR30.

Dave

Hi I have a sr30 in 7x57 stainless steel barrel with synthetic stock and rate it highly this is my main go to rifle as with all heym rifles the build quality is exellent a little more money but worth it I also have an SR21 so can compare the two side by side. Sorry dont know what the difference is between the sr30 and sr 30 n if you wanted to try one out let me know maybe some thing can be arranged

The "n" refers to normal calibres - ones based on the 30-06, 8x57 case head size. A "g" refers to the belted case head size.

Thank you for the info.. I have a .308 SR30N waiting collection.. its 2005 and heavily engraved.. I tried to get some history from the factory, but info was limited and it was basically a custom ordered rifle through a German agent for the Uk customer. Looks like a 19' barrel. The woodwork is also custom with fish scale type grip work. It has tele sights and iron sights. I purchased the rifle on its condition and also the engineering as it seemed so well made, so I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Dave

Heyms are well built rifles, with an old world hewn from solid feel about. They have a mix of stock styles from a very European hooked grip, head upright Monte Carlo, too a their classic with straight comb and straight forend more akin to the British / American style. But they are hand built and to some extent you can have them built to as you wish. Sr30 is a straight pull, with a solid mechanism. Not my cup of tea, but if you are after a straight pull a lot nicer than the Blazer and probably less money as well.

The rifle has an English style stock and leather recoil pad, but with continental fish scale grip work, the grip work is not my normal cup of tea as its a little OTT, but it is very well executed, it has fine extensive engraving rather than the heavy style shown on the factory's present web site. Its very much a custom rifle. What attracted me to the rifle was not the extra finish work on it, but the feeling/balance it has, it comes across as you say as a very solid feel. I like the older type look and always have wood on my rifles even if it is a major pain to look after compared with synthetic. The straight pull will take a little getting used to.. but I hope it will be fun.

Heyms are well built rifles, with an old world hewn from solid feel about. They have a mix of stock styles from a very European hooked grip, head upright Monte Carlo, too a their classic with straight comb and straight forend more akin to the British / American style. But they are hand built and to some extent you can have them built to as you wish. Sr30 is a straight pull, with a solid mechanism. Not my cup of tea, but if you are after a straight pull a lot nicer than the Blazer and probably less money as well.

Heym20, would you happen to know what Heym use as a rate of twist in the .308??

Dave

Haven't a clue but Mungo has an SR21 in 308 and that's accurate with all ammo he has tried in it 123gn, 150 and 165gn I think. From what I have seen they are all accurate enough to shoot any deer out to 200 plus yds, and with its favourite it cloverleafs three shot. My SR20 in 243 is the same.

Yes they are really nicely solid and well balanced rifles. I have had mine for 20 years and re zeroed it three times - when I have changed scopes!

Heym20, would you happen to know what Heym use as a rate of twist in the .308??

Dave

I can help on this a bit.

I ordered 4 new Heyms (SR40 & SR20N) models direct from Friedrich Wilh Heym in Munnerstadt (through Armstrongs of Nottingham) as they were the only maker making quality Lefthand rifles at the time. No right-hand for me ever. Being a small semi-custom outfit, their catalogue concentrated on the quality of their worksmanship & engraving, but was short of facts. It wasn't informative at all, so I asked the UK dealer for info on the barrel twist rates.

The MD of HEYM was a Mr Bang (true) and the Deputy MD who succeeded him was a Mr Reinoldt. They both seemed surprised that a customer should be asking such questions or be interested in gunmaking. I've still got their letter which says 'it isn't usual to publish these details.'

As all Heym barrels are hammer forged onto a mandrel, they had actually got photocopied and forwarded a copy of their "Drehsinn" (mandrel) dimensions for all 29 calibres they chambered then, with a technical drawing of the rifling profile they used (sine/tan dimensions) and a table of entries for .22LR through to .470NE.

Quite amazing customer service, but the downside was that all of it was in German.

Anyway the info for my SR20N LH .308 (now sold) shows:-

Steigung (twist-rate) 305mm

Zug (groove) 7.82mm (+/- 0.004)

Feld (land) 7.62mm (ditto)

Anzahl der Nutter (rifling) 4-groove (rechts) right.

Quite a trip down memory lane this. If they haven't changed their engineering specs & practices (doubtful) then your .308W is 1 in 12" Imperial - near enough.

Last edited:
I can help on this a bit.

I ordered 4 new Heyms (SR40 & SR20N) models direct from Friedrich Wilh Heym in Munnerstadt (through Armstrongs of Nottingham) as they were the only maker making quality Lefthand rifles at the time. No right-hand for me ever. Being a small semi-custom outfit, their catalogue concentrated on the quality of their worksmanship & engraving, but was short of facts. It wasn't informative at all, so I asked the UK dealer for info on the barrel twist rates.

The MD of HEYM was a Mr Bang (true) and the Deputy MD who succeeded him was a Mr Reinoldt. They both seemed surprised that a customer should be asking such questions or be interested in gunmaking. I've still got their letter which says 'it isn't usual to publish these details.'

As all Heym barrels are hammer forged onto a mandril, they had actually got photocopied and forwarded a copy of their "Drehsinn" (mandril) dimensions for all 29 calibres they chambered then, with a technical drawing of the rifling profile they used (sine/tan dimensions) and a table of entries for .22LR through to .470NE.

Quite amazing customer service, but the downside was that all of it was in German.

Anyway the info for my SR20N LH .308 (now sold) shows:-

Steigung (twist-rate) 305mm
I
Zug (groove) 7.82mm (+/- 0.004)

Feld (land) 7.62mm (ditto)

Anzahl der Nutter (rifling) 4-groove (rechts) right.

Quite a trip down memory lane this. If they haven't changed their engineering specs & practices (doubtful) then your .308W is 1 in 12" Imperial - near enough.

Hi Sinistral, thank you for the barrel spec info. Its safely stored to keep with the rifle. I love the ex MD's surname.. superb.
I did contact twice the factory to ask the build specs, but apart from the basic order info did not get that much, having said this they were very polite, very fast at responding and did say it was all they had on file.
Everything I have seen so far about the manufacturer and the rifle model is positive, so if it shoots well I will be very pleased.
Dave

I have had an SR30 in .308 for almost 20 years now. The straight-pull action has a longer throw than a Blaser and is therefore a bit slower to cylce, but the rifle is very well finished and bedded into a handsome walnut stock whose shape and dimensions make it very pointable indeed. It shoots as well as any stalking rifle I own, and even I have yet to miss anything with it!

Back