Helle Knives.

Norrie1956

Hiya, last week, I had a delivery of timber to a new build, one of my ratchet straps seized up, I didnt have a knife to cut it with, then the owner came out of his car with a cracking looking knife, turns out it was Swedish and made by Helle, it was gorgeous, and sharp as sharp can be...I had a hold of it, and loved it ...:)

Just looked on the Helle Site, it's a Symfoni, at £73 the guy was using...:)

Now, as it's Christmas soon, ( sorry chaps) and I have three kids and 6 grandkids dying to buy their old dad/papa a present has anyone used one for a period of time ?? If so, how did it do?? I really do like the look, and feel of them...:)

Thanks in advance guys...:)

Last edited:
I have a very similar knife by them and the blade is not very robust, I've bent it on things that shouldn't bend a blade, also, it's not a full tang which persoanlly I find another weakness, I prefer a thicker more robust blade with full tang...
Each to their own, but for the money there are better knives out there.

+1 with deerstalker as had a helle for a few years, lovely when new, but not worn that well.. at best it now goes out as the spare in my roe sack. if I had your budget above to pick up a new knife, I don't think it would be a helle.

Cheers guys, that's why I love this site, some great informed information...I didn't know they were NOT full Tang...I did a couple of years training as a commis chef, and my head chef always said, buy only full tang knives...so.........:)

I have 2, a wind fixed blade and a folder. Great knives, sharp a razors and easy to keep that way. Expensive enough to care about but not so expensive as to worry too much about using hard/losing. Had the wind for 11 years still going strong, not had to sharpen very often, and well used.

Cheers guys, that's why I love this site, some great informed information...I didn't know they were NOT full Tang...I did a couple of years training as a commis chef, and my head chef always said, buy only full tang knives...so.........:)

I have the Helle Eggen and is full tang... don't know about the other models.

I have a Helle Eggen, love it. As has been said, expensive enough to not abuse it, cheap enough that if you do lose it you'll only cry once - I couldn't imagine losing a Stuart Mitchell or the like.

Holds an edge really well, full tang, handle is nice with a ridge for finger. Mine was a 30th birthday pressie from the wife too, gives nice thought when it gets used.

Only small point (but its the same with most knives) is a leather sheath is not the most hygienic, but if thats what you are after then a Mora would be a better bet!

I went out on a deer course with well known TV chef Mike Robinson, he uses a Helle Jegermester for his gralloching, he does a LOT of deer and I assume wouldn't have to go far to get free knives.

I have a Helle Eggen, love it. As has been said, expensive enough to not abuse it, cheap enough that if you do lose it you'll only cry once - I couldn't imagine losing a Stuart Mitchell or the like.

Holds an edge really well, full tang, handle is nice with a ridge for finger. Mine was a 30th birthday pressie from the wife too, gives nice thought when it gets used.

Only small point (but its the same with most knives) is a leather sheath is not the most hygienic, but if thats what you are after then a Mora would be a better bet!

I went out on a deer course with well known TV chef Mike Robinson, he uses a Helle Jegermester for his gralloching, he does a LOT of deer and I assume wouldn't have to go far to get free knives.

Hiya, Im looking at the Helle full tang knives...I already have a Mora Triflex steel knife, and like it lots, but want a knife I can use, one I can get old with...:) I've also got a copy of Hunt Shoot Prepare by Mike, watched it many times....Filmed in Morven where I fish...:)

had one after 2 outings blade was done junk hate to burst the bubble but would not recommend helle knives for 70 pounds would expect a few years use not a few outings now have a small buck folder 25pounds still going strong

Interesting how people say the blades are no good - seems some are either unlucky or use the knife for more than it is made for? I have had mine nearly 2 years now and have used it lots, its still as sharp and nice as the day I bought it. Regular stropping and using the lanksy when it is a bit more 'done' has kept it with a good blade.

I have a Temagami that I treated myself to when I was in Norway. It is touted as an all round outdoor knife but I have been very disappointed. Whilst it is probably the most comfortable knife I have used in everything from gralloching to cutting feather sticks, the blade bends far too easily despite being 3mm thick and semi full tang (and I use it as a knife, not a hammer, axe or anything else). I have also found that the hard steel of the edge (the blade is laminated) chips very easily and the skandi grind needs to be convexed a bit or a micro bevel applied to give any sort of edge retention.

Back