level 2

biglad

Hi all on your level 2 portfolio at the front were you wright your past experience would it benefit me to put in that i am a licenced slaughterman of 13 years and been working along side the meat hygien services and the ovs. As well as my stalking experience or dose it not matter..... Cheers Neil

I would think that would be a very useful addition Neil! That would give me the impression that you would be very knowledgeable about animal anatomy and that you'd probably seen your fair share of ailments. They might not be deer but it's all similar! I'd stick it in if I were you mate.
MS

Hi Niel, You are not going to do yourself any harm at all by putting all relevant information in your portfolio, you can staple extra pages as well.
One thing thay like is photos of you going through a graloch/examination, showing you checking glands ect.

Dry Powder.

Barry

It will help show you should know about anatomy and where to look for lymph nodes etc just dont get it wrong when AW asks:oops: but I think most important will be to show you have had experiance actually stalking.I have known people who have only shot 3 hill hinds accompanied expect to be given L2.

thanks for your advice lads i have also been a stalker for the passed 8 years and shot a few beast as well Cheers Neil..

One thing thay like is photos of you going through a graloch/examination, showing you checking glands ect.

Barry

I am afraid that this is now not the case. They dont want a portfolio that is stacked with photos anymore. One of the reasons being that if it is a picture of someones hands and a set of nodes (tempting to say glands:p), they may not be your hands and therefor does not hold any weight. This came out in the recent Approved Witness briefings.

Cheers

I have known people who have only shot 3 hill hinds accompanied expect to be given L2.
The thing is...its all they are required to do to achieve the relevant PC's to gain an award.

A ridiculous system!

Il keep my thoughts for another time though.

Biglad, get as much info as possible into your portfolio, i have a mate who is a meat inspector and the assesor phoned and asked him to name the lymph nodes, he asked which ones? the 6 required or the other numerous ones. The assesor asked what his occupation was? when he answered the phone call was a lot shorter than some i have heard of. Stick in i'm sure all will go well.;)

Cheers,

Moe..

jingzy, Oops, I appologise, Lymp Nodes, Its just habit after bringing up my children and grandchildren and checking there GLANDS for swelling when thay had a temprature.
I sent in two sets of photos that were taken durring my wittnesed stalks which clearly showed me going through the full procedure not just the hands, which could be anyones as we should all be wairing disposable gloves, but showing the whole scene.
The fotos were comented upon, in a favouable way.
I would have thought that photos taken by the AW and accompanying the portfolio would have been an excelent demonstration of level of competence achieved,
But there you are i stand corrected.

Dry Powder.

Barry

The thing is...its all they are required to do to achieve the relevant PC's to gain an award.
A ridiculous system!
Not entirely true. The three in the portfolio are your opportunity to show the AW that you know your stuff and can do it competantly and with confidence.
The AW still has to add whether, in his opinion, the candidate is knowledgable enough to be awarded DSC 2

A ridiculous system!

They probably have a ridiculous system in outer mongolia for licencing female bus drivers over the age of 65 but I don't care because I don't have to be involved in it!!!

If you don't like the DMQ system then fine, stay away from it but don't sit on the sidelines running it down at every opportunity.

A guy has come on here to ask a genuine question to help him achieve a qualification and, as usual, its going to turn into a whingeing contest.

DSC 1 and 2 are not compulsory!!! Don't talk to me about FAC's and leases etc, the answer is still the same.

Sorry to rant but this type of negativity always winds me up.

JC

Not entirely true. The three in the portfolio are your opportunity to show the AW that you know your stuff and can do it competantly and with confidence.
The AW still has to add whether, in his opinion, the candidate is knowledgable enough to be awarded DSC 2
but it only needed to be 1 stalk with an AW and the other 2 could be with a CW but I better not go on, it looks like I have said enough already.

*If you don't like the DMQ system then fine, stay away from it but don't sit on the sidelines running it down at every opportunity.

*Don't talk to me about FAC's and leases etc.

*Sorry to rant but this type of negativity always winds me up.

JC
*At every opportunity? I have mentioned it once!

*I had no intention.

*Have you never disagreed or been negative about anything in your WHOLE life?

Im sorry, I will keep ALL my thoughts to myself in future.

dont know weather it me. But my post seeam to get peopel bitching with each other getting paranoid or is it the norm???

Deffinatly stick it in, im a skilled slaughterman and qualified meat inspector,as already stated i think my assesor was slightly intimidated by the fact i knew more about anatomy than he did. Always nice to be able to show off your skill with a SHARP knife also...

Nell

hi Biglad some people like to run anything down I have stalked deer most of the past 40yrs and became an AW to help others not as fortunate as me.i grew up in the country and with shooting men.show you know how to stalk and turn deer into good clean venison and you will have no bother.If someone else wants to Knock the system it my be that they are not much good as stalkers.:-|

Hi Neil, dont worry about posting anything as there will always be someone with something to say about any posting that has affected them personaly or one that thay feel thay now the answer to, that way we can all throw in our twopence worth to the coversation.

Keep asking!.

Dry Powder

Barry

Yes, definitely, that's the way to do it :)
Ask a question get ten thousand different opinions, pick the best and go with it :D:D

Defiantly stick it in, I'm a skilled slaughter man and qualified meat inspector,as already stated i think my assessor was slightly intimidated by the fact i knew more about anatomy than he did. Always nice to be able to show off your skill with a SHARP knife also...

Nell

To be honest Nell it wouldn't matter what you were ,the gralloch is only one small part of the level two procedure, you can be fantastic at one thing, then shoot the beast in the arse or miss it or even better, not be able to find a beast out on the hill.

There are many ways that stop this becoming so easy, for those that carry the procedure correctly , one of the very reasons the CW status has been removed as of June 2010
there are quite a few changes to the new portfolio, thats the new green one still to be issued ,comes along with a CD giving both the AW and the person compiling the evidence the knowledge of the procedures required to complete the assessment .

I for one have been out with Vets, Meat Inspectors like yourself, Bricklayers, Joiners, Surgeons Ive learned from them all ,everyone I take out has some sort of information to pass on after all in my book every day is a school day, long may that continue .

Big Lad,

I am afraid that with any open forum you will get conflicting opinions, thats the refreshing part about it, you get to here opinions and advice that you may not have considered.

However this Level 2 business to me is a bloody minefield, with inconsistency reigning supreme at times. It also makes my blood boil when folk talk about CW's not having the experience, when in many many cases they have far more years and experience than some AW's.

I would have thought that your years of experience as a slaughterman would have been taken into account. WHY SHOULDNT IT !!

I met someone recently who has Level 1 and 2 and confirmed to me that he was still inexperienced as he had only taken a handfull of deer, and having Level 2 really made no difference as he considered himself inexperienced!!

I also see no problem with a series of photos to back your Level 2 up, as long as its you and not just a pair of hands, which Jingzy pointed out and has a very fair point. Taking 3 deer and achieving Level 2 does not make you a stalker in my book, I feel it should be at least 3 different species in three different environments, that to me would make a bit more sense.

All the best to you,

Sikamalc

Back