Bisley

Boarboy

Not sure which section to put this in but How easy is it to book a range for a few hours at Bisley, or how do i go about it as a stalker opposed to a regular target shooter? I want to see where my rifle shoots at 300 yards and take some time to try different loads e.t.c in the right environment. I don't have anywhere appropriate and safe on my ground to do that. Thanks.

I believe to book a lane at Bisley you'll need to be a NRA member and have a SSC card. Or you need to be part of an NRA affiliated club who can book lanes for a club shoot or on your behalf.

Do not forget that it seems that one has to pass a little safety course before booking shooting at Bisley. The changes really beggar belief. Made a call to see what is entailed now and well I simply will not be bothering with Bisley anymore. Used to shoot there almost weekly but that was years ago but thought might make it down a few time a year even though it's long drive now. Simply not worth all the hoops they want you to jump though.

The shooters safety certificate is not just a Bisley thing, it was brought in by the military authorities themselves not the NRA and is required on all military ranges. Only takes half an hour to do the safety test and the card is valid for 3 years. If i remember correctly it costs about £20.

I would be just a little concerned that you have a rifle powerful enough for accurate 300 yd field shooting,
Yet have nowhere safe enough to do a few controlled shots

Sorry may be out of order why can't you get up high for the 300 or is your land to short for safe shots beyond the 100? on Bisley ring the range booking office to get the info try to get a few of you and book one lane makes it cheaper and more enjoyable as a group.

Hi Dan, if you are a member of BASC get them to book it on your behalf.
As for these guys worried about such a powerful rifle and having nowhere safe to shoot it, all Deer calibre rifles are capable of being dangerous at 300 yards but not many fields on 'normal farms' have the facility to enable someone to take 300 yard shots ! not in this part of UK anyway, maybe in Scotland or Wales but our part of UK is usually fields of 20 acres at most.
Before I get lambasted, there are bound to be a few exceptions but I thought the comment sounded a bit 'Holier than thou'

Jesus guy just asks about some range time and people question his motivations and why he needs to.

Has it occured to you that loosing off rounds at 300yds may spook the deer he wants to shoot on the ground he has?
or indeed the owner doesn't want a box of ammo blasted off on his ground?

I had some ground where that was the exact case
shooting deer is one shot
shooting targets is several..big difference in noise pollution

I personally think that 300yds is an extremely good range for stalkers to be practising at
too many people out there have never tried it and it is an extremely confidence inspiring exercise
makes those shots at 200yds seem easy

I would agree with that - Definitely get some range time in at 300x if you can!

My background in CF rifles is target rifle with iron sights from 300-1000x and when it came to taking a stalking shot at 100x having that confidence in long range shots definitely made it easier to pull the trigger.

Give the range office a call and see what they can do - Joining the NRA is pretty easy to do, theres just an application form and small fee, and the range safety course is straightforward.

If you already hold an FAC the application form is here - National Rifle Association of the UK | NRA | Membership | Application information for an FAC Holder

You need to be a member of an HO approved club so just join one in your area if you're not already a member. Alternatively if you dont want to join a club (and this isnt already stated on your FAC) then give the NRA a call and they can probably help.

Are you only meant to use target ammo / FMJ at bisley , I don't think your allowed to use hunting ammo

It may be that the OP has a rifle but normally shoots miles away from where he lives...like Scotland.
The other possible reason as Bewsher suggested is noise - in Sussex neighbours will probably whine if you work your way up through a load table 3-5 rounds of half a grain a time at the weekend!!

Bisley/NRA need to publish a simple 'how to shoot with us' flowchart because all the published information seems to require something like 5 weekends of your time whilst they lift a few hundred quid out of your wallet. If there is a simpler route for existing FAC holders they should shout about it.
Then there's the whole velocity thing!

It may be that the OP has a rifle but normally shoots miles away from where he lives...like Scotland.
The other possible reason as Bewsher suggested is noise - in Sussex neighbours will probably whine if you work your way up through a load table 3-5 rounds of half a grain a time at the weekend!!

Bisley/NRA need to publish a simple 'how to shoot with us' flowchart because all the published information seems to require something like 5 weekends of your time whilst they lift a few hundred quid out of your wallet. If there is a simpler route for existing FAC holders they should shout about it.
Then there's the whole velocity thing!

Simple Way

1. Join BASC.
2. Contact BASC South East Regional Office.
3. Book yourself on a BASC Range Day courtesy of British Sporting Rifle Club, Bisley.
4. Pre read "bumf" that is sent to you.
5. Attend Range Day, and undertake both a short practical & theory assessment.
6. Pass assessment and Safe Shooter Certification will be issued.
7. Once issued BASC can then book a shooting lane at Bisley on your behalf.

However Leadwasp is quite correct. In all but a very few circumstances, there is a maximum muzzle velocity on Bisley ranges which generally does not permit the "occasional shooter" to use some sporting calibre.

Simple Way

1. Join BASC.
2. Contact BASC South East Regional Office.
3. Book yourself on a BASC Range Day courtesy of British Sporting Rifle Club, Bisley.
4. Pre read "bumf" that is sent to you.
5. Attend Range Day, and undertake both a short practical & theory assessment.
6. Pass assessment and Safe Shooter Certification will be issued.
7. Once issued BASC can then book a shooting lane at Bisley on your behalf.

However Leadwasp is quite correct. In all but a very few circumstances, there is a maximum muzzle velocity on Bisley ranges which generally does not permit the "occasional shooter" to use some sporting calibre.

It's only the 'hot' small calibres that break the velocity rule (.17 hmr) and then the big 'hot' calibres break the ME rule but I doubt anyone is stalking with a 338 lap mag or 50 cal?

Your everyday hunting calibres, .223, .243, 6.5, .270, .308, even 300 win mag (unless you are running hot light bullets that go fast)... all fine..

The shooter competency card has been around for quite a few years now and is just sensible... it shows that you have proven you are capable and safe to be left unsupervised on a military range frequented by other people.. anyone who thinks that is OTT would worry me rather a lot... being alone on the hill in charge of a high powered rifle is not the same as using one with a few hundred 'unpredictable' others milling around you! Then there is range etiquette and safety and emergency protocol... Just a sensible basic layer of vetting!

Last edited:
It's only the 'hot' small calibres that break the velocity rule (.17 hmr) and then the big 'hot' calibres break the ME rule but I doubt anyone is stalking with a 338 lap mag or 50 cal?

Your everyday hunting calibres, .223, .243, 6.5, .270, .308, even 300 win mag (unless you are running hot light bullets that go fast)... all fine..QUOTE]

Just need to add .22-250 to that list... Max MV is 3280 fps or 800 m/s

What about the 9.3x62 Mauser? Quite a few have that for UK use and it exceeds the 4500 J energy figure limit for standard rifles but I see a High Muzzle Energy zeroing procedure in the regs - is special dispensation for use on some or all the rifle ranges required once the rifle has been zeroed in the presence of an HME qualified RCO?

Last edited:
I would be just a little concerned that you have a rifle powerful enough for accurate 300 yd field shooting,
Yet have nowhere safe enough to do a few controlled shots

Why do you need land? Good reason could and is paying for stalking. I suspect there are many out there without available land that need a range to zero on and pay for outings.

Last edited:
hi boarboy it is very simple to shoot bisley you join nra go on there induction day where they show you around the ranges let you shoot some of there rifles just so they can see you are safe and understand the way to behave.after that they send out your cards and all you have to do is book a range and go.my dad and i have done just that.

hi boarboy it is very simple to shoot bisley you join nra go on there induction day where they show you around the ranges let you shoot some of there rifles just so they can see you are safe and understand the way to behave.after that they send out your cards and all you have to do is book a range and go.my dad and i have done just that.
Hi
Is that what they are calling module 5 now ? It costs £100 and includes a written exam ?

Back