.22 Hornet custom?

2130martin

Fancy a .22 hornet but looking around it seems they are very limited in avaiabilty. Brno,CZ and Remington is all I have found. I am a Sako 75 worshipper,is it possible to get a donor rifle and get one built??
Thanks

my local gunshop has rebarelled martini action .22 hornet (i think it was an old bsa) it was made as a bit of a experment as a bench rest rifle and weighs about half ton

Having one made up using a new Border barrel on a refurbed BSA Majestic action with a nice wooden stock. I've had a bad experience with a second hand .243 barrel that's put me off anything that's not new or very nearly new. Called in at my local friendly RFD and he suggested using an action that's currently attached to a knackered .223 barrel. Hoping i'll end up with a great little rifle that will last me out, and it will cost less than a new CZ. Don't get me wrong, I have a Brno/CZ .22LR and love it to bits, just fancy something a bit different.

Oh, and a friend of mine just took delivery of his new Weihrauch HW66 Production in .22 Hornet. We fitted a mod & scope & it shot less than 1" groups at 100 yards straight out of the box. Lovely little rifle.

Having one made up using a new Border barrel on a refurbed BSA Majestic action with a nice wooden stock. I've had a bad experience with a second hand .243 barrel that's put me off anything that's not new or very nearly new. Called in at my local friendly RFD and he suggested using an action that's currently attached to a knackered .223 barrel. Hoping i'll end up with a great little rifle that will last me out, and it will cost less than a new CZ. Don't get me wrong, I have a Brno/CZ .22LR and love it to bits, just fancy something a bit different.

So,you can make one from a .223 action?

So,you can make one from a .223 action?

Not quite that simple, being a rimmed cartridge it wont work with recessed bolt face style rifles like the Rem 700, Tikka T3, 590/595 and most other push feed rifles.
This conversion is ideally suited to a Mauser style bolt action or falling block type action.

ian.

Not quite that simple, being a rimmed cartridge it wont work with recessed bolt face style rifles like the Rem 700, Tikka T3, 590/595 and most other push feed rifles.
This conversion is ideally suited to a Mauser style bolt action or falling block type action.

ian.

Sounds complicated!

My RFD is also a gunsmith. He showed me the fit of the cartridge in the bolt face & explained a bit about why that particular action could take the Hornet conversion, so I know it can be done with that one. Not sure about any others but it can be done, perhaps a chat with a gunsmith might be a good idea?

I have never shot the HW60 but I can take the word of the men on this site as to it's accuracy.
I have loaded for and shot about 5 CZ Hornets and they are unbeatable.
I doubt if a 'custom' will shoot with either of these over-the-counter rifles.~Muir

I have never shot the HW60 but I can take the word of the men on this site as to it's accuracy.
I have loaded for and shot about 5 CZ Hornets and they are unbeatable.
I doubt if a 'custom' will shoot with either of these over-the-counter rifles.~Muir

I am a Sako lover so that was why I was thinking custom as although they made a Hornet they are like rocking horse doodoo!!

5.7x28 FN is basically a rimless hornet and would work out of a push feed rifle (like the sako) a little easier but I am still doubtful it would work in a rifle not designed for it.
I'm sure it could be made to work but it would cost A LOT to get it feeding and functioning. Bolt face would need work (reducing to the size of the FN rim), a new extractor would need fabricating and then you can start with the fun of getting it to feed.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you want a 22 Hornet Sako, buy a factory one. If you want a 22 hornet and don't want to wait ages to find a sako, get a CZ, you won't be disappointed.

A friend has one of the Sako's in 22 hornet, it is quite fussy about the ammo...
Got to love the advise from the super knowledgeable internet gunsmiths... need to visit the 'last time you cried' thread.

A mate of mine has a Zastava mini hornet. Shoots great and cheap too. Would make a good basis for a custom. Only criticism is the bolt slop. But the CZs have that too.

A mate of mine has a Zastava mini hornet. Shoots great and cheap too. Would make a good basis for a custom. Only criticism is the bolt slop. But the CZs have that too.
The CZ and Zastava are Mauser designs. All Mauser-based designs have this "slop" which, of course, completely disappears when the bolt is closed.

About the only thing salvageable from a Zastava is the action, and then only after it's been seriously trued-up. I gave mine away. JMHO, of course.~Muir

Back