Fear.

Scots_stalker

We were in silverburn and braehead ( large shopping centers in Glasgow ) today , sitting having a coffee my mind started to wander. What if shooting broke out like in paris ?

Someone walking the floor with an automatic weapon would be unstoppable in the open spaces of the center , try and charge him down ? You would be cut down within yards.

The cold hard truth is theres nothing i could do to protect my family.

All you can do is keep alert. Note the exits and hope for the best.

And ps. I was surprised that there were no police to be seen in both shopping centers.

walking across the road is't always a given you will make the other side ? but I understand your worries .

I understand your concerns but you can't think like that as that is part of the master plan of terror...

Not sure about the numbers of armed response about but would think that all major cities are covered with apparent army back up now - if it's anything like it used to be then within 10 minutes of the call help would be on the way (10 minutes is an eternity to be in cover though)

Also, you'd be surprised how some folk act when 7.62's are flying about

We were in silverburn and braehead ( large shopping centers in Glasgow ) today , sitting having a coffee my mind started to wander. What if shooting broke out like in paris ?

Someone walking the floor with an automatic weapon would be unstoppable in the open spaces of the center , try and charge him down ? You would be cut down within yards.

The cold hard truth is theres nothing i could do to protect my family.

All you can do is keep alert. Note the exits and hope for the best.

And ps. I was surprised that there were no police to be seen in both shopping centers.
Doesn't mean they were not there, lots of places are under surveillance without public knowledge.

The cold hard truth is there's nothing i could do to protect my family.

Why is that then:

British bull****e alert from one of Mr Cameron's "security advisors":

"Police in Britain have already increased patrols around “soft targets” such as theatres in the west end of London in a direct reaction to the Paris attacks."

They only reason these "soft targets" exist in Britain (and Europe) is because you, Mr Cameron, and three generations of British politicians (and in Europe your contemporaries) before you have removed from us our right to carry or even own weapons for self-defence.

Last edited:
Why is that then:

"Police in Britain have already increased patrols around “soft targets” such as theatres in the west end of London in a direct reaction to the Paris attacks."

They only reason these "soft targets" exist in Britain (and Europe) is because you, Mr Cameron, and three generations of British politicians (and in Europe your contemporaries) before you have removed from us our right to carry or even own weapons for self-defence.

A new 'home guard' needed? - a view I have some sympathy with now we cant even carry a pen knife.

I don't know KES but for certain we are now denied the right to carry weapons for self-defence.

Now...in 1948 when this was "removed" from the good reason to posses an FAC it was said that the public didn't need this as the police service could protect the public. Well as has been seen that promise wasn't kept.

I don't know about others here but surely when one side to an agreement doesn't keep its promise doesn't the other side have the right to restore itself to the position it had before that promise was broken?

It will of course never happen. We have allowed ourselves to become sheep. Reliant upon the shepherd. Sheep to be slaughtered until when the shepherd comes to save us from the wolves.

Why is that then:

Aye cause ur really far safer in a public place/school/college or shopping centre in USA, arn't u.
Some of the mass shooting stats from over there are truely horrendous and generally not terrorists just some deranged numpty with a gun and a point to prove

Our firearms laws are not perfect by a long way but making firearms legal to be carried for self defnce would scare the hell out of me.

Ur perfectly entitled to carry a pen knife Kes, just under 3" and non locking, after that u need a 'reasonable excuse'.
But not sure how a pen knife no matter how big the blade is going to help in that sort of situation

The last thing I'd want in my hands with dozens of police armed response about would be my rifle - unless of course I was wearing my 'Don't shoot me - I'm only here to help' t-shirt - then I would imagine I would be fine, probably :scared:

While its good to be aware and not take slly chances, the chance of it happening are tiny.
When u compare it to how many people are killed by car accidents everyday

If u lived like that u would never do anything, any fitba game, concert, festival, carnival, fair could be classed as a target but u'll still be far more likely to be hit by a bus walking there

We are back in Kent next year on holds and was planning a day trip to Paris with the kids but not going to happen now .,

In your case tulloch the terrorists goal has been achieved, they have scared you enough for you to cancel your trip to Paris, whats next not travelling by bus, trains etc??

Ian.

I work in Paris. My wife is Nigerian. We have a house there in Benin City.

Where we live in St Ouen in "north Paris" (it's not actually "north Paris" its Seine St Denis Department) is just four bus stops away n the 173 bus from the Stade de France. I often have a burger and a milkshake at the Quick Restaurant that was bombed when I go the the Decathlon sports store in the same block. Unlike UK Decathlon stores they have a good hunting section.

People say not to go to Nigeria because of Boko Haram. You can't live your life in fear. Or you might not as well live at all.

Two famous Americans had it covered in a time way back the attitude to having weapons for self defence.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), Letter to Josiah Quincy, Sept. 11, 1773.

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
-- President Thomas Jefferson. 1743-1826

Last edited:
Now imagine the previous day youve carried the bottom half of your mates leg to the chopper and your getting your kit on to go back out on patrol.

To allow yourself fear doing anything in this country is a ridiculous dramatisation imo.

That doesnt mean im not expecting something to happen here..

After the attack on Pearl Harbour. Yamamota (?) said, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve".
it should be so for all nations and for all peoples to eradicate these killers who have no code of honour, no humanity, no shred of human decency, and therefore no right to life.
I would however like to fight them on equal terms and protect my family, so fear is Ok, paralysing fear is not.

I saw the mention of shootings in American campuses - that is because the social weaklings have voted to disarm those places and make them soft targets for cowardly attacks, while at the same time degrading morality and respect for human life.

Quite a few potential massacres have been stopped by armed citizens, but the infotainment media does not pipe those up to the television with the same zeal as they do carnage.

The only campus shooting I can recall until recently was at the University of Texas in the 1960s, which was stopped by a traffic policeman and an NRA member who got his deer rifle from the trunk of his car, and they killed the sniper.

Until 1970, over 100 college campuses had mandatory ROTC, and many assigned a rifle to each cadet, to be kept in their dormitory room. Virginia Tech, which recently had such mass killing by a foreign student, was one of those, disarmed by the anti-military "liberals", and the rifles put into an armory for check out to drill. Schools like The Citadel, West Point, Virginia Military Academy, Texas A&M, and Clemson had tens of thousands of students with 1903A3 Springfields, M1 Garands, and M-14s in their rooms, without incident.

Gee, what changed? Liberal anti-culture took over.

A new 'home guard' needed? - a view I have some sympathy with now we cant even carry a pen knife.
Mr Mannering
With all the extra police checks done on us FAC holders at renewal time . Will they want FAC holders for the home guard

regards Private Jones

My Niece is taking her kids to Disneyland paris in a few weeks. Her kids now dont want to go

Last edited:
Her kids now dont want to go

I'd giver her kids £25 each, pat them on the head, and congratulate them for their good taste. Even when I was paid to do it I didn't want to, and never in fact did, go to Disneyland Paris. I went once with the two girls that I shared a flat with in Paris at the time. That alone was worth it. But it is vastly over-rated.

Back