The value of providing practice for the women hunters in your life...

Muir

My girl friend is a fairly competent shot and likes to practice off hand shooting with her FN 7x57. Living in the city as she does, she practices when she comes out to my place. I provide her with a place to reload, a place to keep her rifle when she's on shift, and the place to practice. I admit, we like the activity together. Sometimes, however, it's not really convenient for me. Often I'm tired from my day's work (she is younger than I) and in need of attending to other matters, but she enjoys it so much that I usually acquiesce to her requests.

This weekend it paid dividends. Dear One has been recovering from foot surgery and can't hike around, per MD orders. A friend of hers asked us to come up to his ranch this weekend saying that she could set up in the hay yard a mile or so down the road from his house and never need to walk. And this we did. The weather was cold and there was a 10-30 mph wind quartering in over her shoulder, but she stood with 90% of her weight on her good leg, steadied herself on a nice, fat, whitetail doe at 80 yards -waiting for a yearling to clear the backdrop- and put a handloaded PPU 140 grain SP through her heart. The doe buckled, regained her feet, and traveled about 15 ft before collapsing. The look on her face was worth every grain of powder and bullet expended in practice and every gallon of fuel spent scouting and watching deer. I am very proud of her.

So spend the time and money to get (or keep) your lady shooting. It's worth it.~Muir

Odd chaps women! Not sure if I'd want to encourage mine in this direction....might get an inkling on how much I spend :-|

Mine has strange ethics or summat, She is OK lamping while I flatten Foxes, or Rabbits, but won't squeeze off on them herself, ..... Odd yeah?:eek:

There's no way I'd want to let my Mrs loose with firearms! She's dangerous enough with a saucepan......and anyway, part of the reason I spend so much time hunting is to get away from her! :D

My girl friend is a fairly competent shot and likes to practice off hand shooting with her FN 7x57. Living in the city as she does, she practices when she comes out to my place. I provide her with a place to reload, a place to keep her rifle when she's on shift, and the place to practice. I admit, we like the activity together. Sometimes, however, it's not really convenient for me. Often I'm tired from my day's work (she is younger than I) and in need of attending to other matters, but she enjoys it so much that I usually acquiesce to her requests.

This weekend it paid dividends. Dear One has been recovering from foot surgery and can't hike around, per MD orders. A friend of hers asked us to come up to his ranch this weekend saying that she could set up in the hay yard a mile or so down the road from his house and never need to walk. And this we did. The weather was cold and there was a 10-30 mph wind quartering in over her shoulder, but she stood with 90% of her weight on her good leg, steadied herself on a nice, fat, whitetail doe at 80 yards -waiting for a yearling to clear the backdrop- and put a handloaded PPU 140 grain SP through her heart. The doe buckled, regained her feet, and traveled about 15 ft before collapsing. The look on her face was worth every grain of powder and bullet expended in practice and every gallon of fuel spent scouting and watching deer. I am very proud of her.

So spend the time and money to get (or keep) your lady shooting. It's worth it.~Muir

Good for you and your girlfriend, Muir! and quit complaining about having a younger filly!

Although my wife doesn't shoot, my daughter is getting into the modern pentathlon - having the practice time with her (and the boys) is time I truly treasure :thumb:

Nice one Muir!

Mine isn't a fan of live quarry shooting but is enjoying shooting sporting clays.

When I bought my wife a shotgun for her 21st birthday (a while back now...) everyone thought I was mad!
But we have had great fun shooting together when we were younger and had fewer other commitments.
Seeing her shoot 17 rabbits in 27 minutes was one of the best, and a memory we treasure.

Nice one Muir!

Mine isn't a fan of live quarry shooting but is enjoying shooting sporting clays.

Likewise with Mrs Buckup. Shoots far better with a shotgun than I ever have, but will call me in tears if she hits a rabbit or pheasant while driving the car.

While on the subject of ladies that hunt and shoot..........

Last year I produced a charity calendar. I have done the same for 2016 and due to there being two private sponsors, we can donate 100% direct to the Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund via a Just Giving page. It means I need not handle the money at all, which I prefer.
I know quite a few of you bought a calendar last year, and as I only have around twenty left for 2016, I thought I'd better jog a few memories before they sell out.............
The Facebook page is here, and there is a pinned post that will take you direct to the Just Giving Page.

The Naked Huntress CalendarCamera/PhotoTrapper Grizzly, Lorrayne Harris and 4,410 others like this

Thanks guys for your support.

Mark.

Back