Cleaning New Dies Before Use

EccentricJackal

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have just purchased a set of reloading gear, and the Hornady dies I have bought recommend that they are cleaned before use to remove the anti rust coatings put on at the factory.

This seems logical, but I don't fancy buying the recommended Hornady One Shot cleaner/lubricant if I don't need to (bought the Lee kit so it came with resizing lube that I was planning to use).

So what do you use to clean dies before their first use, if you bother at all?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ryan

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have just purchased a set of reloading gear, and the Hornady dies I have bought recommend that they are cleaned before use to remove the anti rust coatings put on at the factory.

This seems logical, but I don't fancy buying the recommended Hornady One Shot cleaner/lubricant if I don't need to (bought the Lee kit so it came with resizing lube that I was planning to use).

So what do you use to clean dies before their first use, if you bother at all?

any degreasing agent will clean
dies will have grease applied to them to reduce corrosion
I tend to clean mine when they get a bit too sticky and dirt gets ingrained in the lube

but...and this may not be appreciated....
I wouldn't waste degreaser on hornady dies....they dont have a great reputation

yours may be fine, but it might be a chance to switch before you find out

I might go with the brake cleaner - I have that without having to buy anything!

Do you need to oil them afterwards?

brewsher, any advice is appreciated, I have heard similar about Hornady dies being a little inconsistent with their quality control, but they came with the kit I bought and I have already unpackaged and messed about with them so they won't be going back unfortunately. If needed they'll be replaced as and when needed, am I right in thinking that the main problem is cases getting stuck?

dont put any oil "in" the die a little on the threads that will enter your press is ok -to prevent cases "sticking" in your dies use a good case lubricant-imperial wax is the best use it sparingley

As pointed out, I do use brake cleaner. It leaves no residue. After they dry I spray the insides with Hornady One Shot and let them set a few minuted before using. Good to go.

As to the Hornady dies. I have had nothing but trouble with them over the last few years and a half dozen different sets. My gorl friekd bought Hornady 7x57 dies and the seater is insanely out of spec: A .284" bullet and a Winchester case will not enter the die. I had to let her use my ancient RCBS for now.~Muir

That's surprising to hear about the Horandy dies. I have never used their dies but their bullets and loaded ammo have been first rate, especially the old .270 light magnum. Perhaps they should stick with what they know, or at least pay more attention.

One often forgets petrol is also very useful at degreasing. In a two stroke mixture one can leave a caked up bolt for a while to dissolve old hardened oil/grease dirt mixture.
edi

Thanks for all the advice, I have cleaned with brake cleaner, and lightly oiled the outside/threads with gun oil.

No problems with de-priming and resizing with the Hornady Dies, but I haven't touched the bullet seating die yet as I am still reading through the reloading manual I purchased so haven't touched the new powder or primers yet - better safe than sorry!

I'll update on the Hornady dies later this week, but am I right in thinking the sort of failures expected of the dies will be blindingly obvious (things not fitting or getting stuck) and not just final product accuracy issues that may be harder to identify?

Thanks everyone,

Ryan

Back