Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator for several rifles

Moderator for several rifles

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint Synthetic in .223 and have a second .223 and a .308(Super Varmints) on order. All will have the same size barrels, all barrels will be 23.6 inches long and all will be stainless. I would like to get one sound moderator for use on all 3 rifles. I have been advised, by a member whose judgement I respect, that a .30 moderator would adequately reduce the sound of a .223. Should I go for an over-barrel type, thinking of balance and handling? I will have to get all 3 rifles threaded. Any thread preferences?

If they're all heavy barrels I'd choose M18x1 or 5/8 unf. It's pointless to go with a small diameter thread if you have a thick barrel. So find a moderator that you like and see which of the above two threads it's offered in to help you choose.

I assume they are all factory threaded and therefore will be 18x1.

The smallest diameter will be dictated by the .30 bullet used in the .308

I would take a look at the new A-tec Hertz range of moderators. I have received an honest review from a chap who has owned pretty much every moderator ever made and that's not an exaggeration. He was impressed and will be replacing his current moderators according. I too will be acquiring one shortly.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

I have a Lawrence Zodiac which works well currently for my .243 and .308 and previously for my .223 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    I assume they are all factory threaded and therefore will be 18x1.
    No, the longer barrels are not factory threaded, so I will be getting Neil McKillop to thread them all at the same time, once I have decided what moderator to get.

Get a Wildcat Predator 8 in 308 then purchase a dedicated 223 insert, they might be a little on the large side but the noise reduction is excellent, just remember make sure you have the correct insert when attaching to your 308

If you go this route, I would go with the Evolution; slimmer and a saving in weight. I've got both, but would go Evolution in future. I am not sure that I would want to keep swapping cores though. I might be tempted to just accept that a 30 cal won't quite moderate as well as a dedicated .223, but use it for everything.

Just a thought - if these are varmint rifles, how important is balance and handling when you are likely to be shooting them rested?

Another Ian

Evolution and buy separate baffle stacks thats what I have done so covers .243 .223 and .204, very good moody, slim and much lighter than the predator, excellent bit of kit, fully stripable wash in soapy water/dish washer.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    if these are varmint rifles, how important is balance and handling when you are likely to be shooting them rested?
    I was thinking more about the harmonics than 'balance' perhaps. As one item will be doing 3 rifles, an expensive Titanium might be appropriate. The Evolution looks nice on Youtube. Are they available in stainless?

get one for 308 don't go down the changing baffles route to dangerous if you have a senior moment