barrel wear

can someone please advise me :oops: im being told that i will need to re barrel my 22-250 after 1000 rounds is this a myth or correct
thanks gary

can someone please advise me :oops: im being told that i will need to re barrel my 22-250 after 1000 rounds is this a myth or correct
thanks gary

Hi I was told the same when I first bought my 17 remington a renouned barrel burner I was told, well its done 2500 + rounds now and still shots under an inch @100yds, that said its like anything else in this world it will wear out eventually, but if you do not let it overheat and keep it clean using proper cleaning techniques it should last many more than 1000 rds Im sure, just enjoy your shooting and do not let it bother to much all to do with the way YOU keep it good luck!!!

Last edited:
I think it is very factor dependant. By factor I mean Make of rifle, type of bullet, speed that sort of thing. As well as cleaning!

Sam
May be wrong but its what I'v always been told

As they say if you shoot it fast, that is one shot very quickly after the other and keep doing that so it gets really hot you'll wear the throat and probably heat craze the bore for several inches pretty sharpish. However shoot it sensibly and allow time between shots and time to cool between groups and quarry and you'll see a lot more rounds throught he barrel than the scare mongers say. Shoot it like an auto or machine gun ans it's possible to get less than a 100 rounds though it.. Loads with lower pressures cause less wear.

Don't be put off! It's as the others say, if you load it hot and fast and shoot it like a machine gun you will provoke throat erosion at a fairly rapid rate. Shot sensibly it will last a long time. A mate of mine was told by a fairly famous rifle maker that his .22PPC would need a rebarrel after 700 rounds. It didn't, and it still doesn't!! It has shot three times that many and still is incredibly accurate.

ft

. A mate of mine was told by a fairly famous rifle maker that his .22PPC would need a rebarrel after 700 rounds.
ft

I bet he said he would be the man to do it as well?

atb

Sam,

Completely of topic ft, but have you heard that the RFU want rid of Johno! ::evil:

I bet he said he would be the man to do it as well?

atb

Sam,

Completely of topic ft, but have you heard that the RFU want rid of Johno! ::evil:

Sam, he was the man who built it, and wanted the job of re-barreling :rolleyes: It's a shame how transparent people can be, supposedly professional, trying to rip off his customers :evil:

As for getting rid of Johno, the man asked to be judged on his results, they have been **** poor. His selection policy defies logic. I leave the backs to those better qualified to discuss, lets think about the front row. Tim Pain (Payne) of Wasps. I have seen him go backwards all season, he got rinsed by a baby at Gloucester, he was murdered by Duncan Bell at Bath let alone what Carl Hayman did to him in the N'castle game. If we look at the tackle counts of props Where is he, not even half way up the list, the list is headed by Jon Golding at N'castle, Carl Hayman is second.

Then we get to hookers, Steve Thompson, used to be a fine player, not now. Don't even get me started on Tightheads.

I have thought for a long time that the problem was John Wells, but if Johno won't get rid of him and sort it out, then he has to go. Ultimately he has to carry the can. Personally I would shoot, sorry sack Rob Andrew and put Johno there and give the coaching job to someone who can do the job, with a proven track record, who will pick players on merit and form and develop the youngsters. Something England have forgotton in the last few years. He was the finest second row I have ever seen play the game, up there with the greats, but can he coach........................ I don't know! And that is a sad thing to say.

ft

During a visit to the Sauer factory, this very subject came up. The technical guys at Sauer looked bemused, then fell about laughing...they reckon to get 30,000 rounds through a Sauer barrel, in any calibre, before replacement is necessary! :eek:

I have never seen a group of shooters (generally) that bought into the "less than a thousand rounds and it's done" theory as UK shooters. Even the 204 Ruger -this decades barrel burner- is good for a little more than that when loaded to max. I have yet to hear of a rifle handed to a "gunsmith" that wasn't pronounced, in the 'Smith's judgment, to be beyond it's prime. I have rifles that are 100 years old, had countless service rounds through them, and will still shoot as well as I can hold.~Muir

I have never seen a group of shooters (generally) that bought into the "less than a thousand rounds and it's done" theory as UK shooters. Even the 204 Ruger -this decades barrel burner- is good for a little more than that when loaded to max. I have yet to hear of a rifle handed to a "gunsmith" that wasn't pronounced, in the 'Smith's judgment, to be beyond it's prime. I have rifles that are 100 years old, had countless service rounds through them, and will still shoot as well as I can hold.~Muir

Spot on Muir. Oddly enough this idea of disposable barrels seems to seems to have increased in direct proportion to the rise of farmyard engineers becoming 'riflesmiths'. I know that is a broad brush statement and its meant with half a tounge in my cheek but there is a fair bit of truth in there too. I am talking about sporting rifles here. JC

hi,

I think of it this way,

if i buy a new air of shoes and wear them fairly often then they soon will have signs of wear and tear.
i will see the holes the dirt the marks the once nice step will start to become harder and hey they will become damn uncomfortable.
easy i get a new pair.

here lies the problem.

how do you see whats wrong with the inside of the barrel.
from all the posts i have read it is quite simple

find an honest gunsmith who is non bias on your perdiciment...

i once had a 5.56 calible rifle and shot 1000s of rounds through it.

is was no more accurate when i got it then when i passed it on to armourer for the next lad to have it........:-|
trust me that one was run of a production line and not the same quality as the ones today

f.

Dont own a 22.250 myself but one of my best mates has a savage that must be at least 10 years old and been used at times very frequently. The only thing not standard is a ramline stock which is hardly in the " custom rifle " parts list.
This rifle will still shoot a touching five shot group.

On the comments from JC275 about farmyard engineers, there certainly seems an increase in " Riflesmiths". But the actual mavhing involved i would not have thought to be overdemanding machine work.
Having been in egineering all my life i have quite a few toolmakers who could have carried out the mechanical processes but obviously not au fait with the ballistics and gun knowledge.

I had a rifle built by one of our local RFD builders Jim Young of Continental Shooting and a more honest man you could not meet. He is very open in the fact he was a farmer who turned his hand to rifle building within the business he shares with his brother Tom. His machine shop is well equipped with modern machines and spotless clean. His work standard is excellent and he is always willing to chat and give advice and help. Seeing as we do not have much of a sporting firearms industry these days it must be a good thing that some people are prepared to invest and keep some form of home grown product available.

Cheers
Eddie

You might be right ft. You probably are, I am very bias because he was always a hero of mine. Second only to the great Deano when it comes to playing lock. But it is a message that comes through time and time again, he has the knowledge - he just cant get it accross. As for Wilkinson. He doesnt talk enough, never has. When he was great (and IMO really was) he had Catty to shout for him, so he could concentrate on his kicking game. But without a "co-ordinator" hes is not IMO enough to make the squad. Steve Thompson should stick to Stalking, he has passed his best Im afraid.

Next time I see him I shall ask the cousin who knows a good deal about it his opinion.

Sam

I have seen two what I would call shot out barrels one was a Enfeild P-14 that I brought cheap, sporterised/targetised by Parker-Hale the throat was a bit washed out but it still held the Vee Bull on a Bisley 200 yards target with the P-H 5B sight. I eventually scrapped it when it could no longer do so but by then you could not any grooves for at least 5" of the chamber end of the bore, How many thousands of rounds of Cordite loaded 303 it had seen is anyones guess. I know that I shot a good 2000 rnds of HXP 69 through it plus other Cordite loaded British ammo in the time I had it.

The other was a BSA CF2 in 22-250 that I brought again cheap as a re-build project. It was going to be re-barreled into 250-3000 but it came with a few boxes of factory Federal 55 grain ammo so I slapped a scope on and wandered off to the range where it printed them in little clusters of an inch or less so it never did get altered. I gave £50 for it with the ammo and sold it on commission through a local dealer after Bisley refused to allow it's continued use on their ranges and got £60 back :p . By eye you could barely see any groove for the first 3-4" by that time yet it was still shooting around MOA.

Now I have just removed a ruined barrel, not shot out as there is plenty of rifling left it you can spot it amongst the huge rust craters, it's another .303 that had not been cleaned after shooting corrosive ammo is my guess. I brought the rifle for the princely sum of £25 for the rear sight and it has sat in my cabinet ever since. It's finally going to get a new barrel once Mr Knibbs locates them in his stores.

Neglect ruins more barrels than shooting does. It might take careful choice of bullets but that 25-06 will shoot within MOA despite the first 9" of bore having quite severe heat crazing. Methinks a previous owner was bit quick with their follow up shots. I am thinking flat based bullets might help as it doesn't seem to like the Boat tails that much :rolleyes:.

The problem is that the cost of new barrels is getting prohibative and the restrictions are getting totally daft. I have been looking into obtaining a barrel blank in 0.284" bore with etehr a 8.66" or 10" twist suitable for a .280 AI but ti seems it's nigh on impossible to get a blank even though until it's threaded and chambered it's not licencable as until the pint where it can chamber a cartridge and fit an action it's just a tube with spiral grooves down the bore.

Back