BBC Nature Fallow Deer

I know the BBC claims to "Edumucate" but perhaps it should start with it's own staff :rolleyes: talk about missinformed :eek: I really like the focus on the pricket and calling it a Doe :lol:. I looked at a couple of other clips and it seems that their chappie/chapess which ever lolo is states that the Normans brought Fallow into the UK yet as I understood it there is no evidence to suggest that. It's rumoured that's all.

PS :-

BBC = Brown Bull-*hite Company

Last edited:
IOLO and his amazing facts are on again tonight on BBC 1 Wales at 9.00.

Stand by to shout, swear and throw things at the telly!!! :stir:

I dont think those does have started their HRT programme as yet :lol:

Mind you they were from Llandeilo!!

BJS

To be fair to Iolo he knows a lot about birds being a former RSPB officer but maybe not so much about mammals. He is also a good presenter of wildlife programmes and so so anti-field sports as many of his colleagues.

The origin of our fallow was generally accepted as Norman for some time and this is the information in many deer books written by experts despite not necessarily being correct He made an error when saying that all fallow show the black tail on a white rump patch when there was a melanistic animal in the shot disproving this. The first programme also had some nice shots of the red deer on Ramsey, including a couple of cracking stags, and Iolo accurately talked about hybridisation with sika and if the clips of future programmes are anything to go by, some shots of Welsh roe will be included.

To be fair to Iolo he knows a lot about birds being a former RSPB officer but maybe not so much about mammals. He is also a good presenter of wildlife programmes and so so anti-field sports as many of his colleagues.

I agree Paul very knowledgable about birds, especially when he released a pair of goshawks on the boundary of our shoot. A beautiful bird to watch hunt but not when its your phesants.

Look forward to the Roe film, its nice to see them making their way into Wales.

There would probably be a few more if the Hereford boys were not such good shots lol

Brian

Last edited:

I agree Paul very knowledgable about birds, especially when he released a pair of goshawks on the boundary of our shoot. A beautiful bird to watch hunt but not when its your phesants.

Look forward to the Roe film, its nice to see them making their way into Wales.

There would probably be a few more if the Hereford boys were not such good shots lol

Brian

I didn't know he was involved in deliberate release, were they falconers birds or chicks reared up for the purpose? Roe were pushing their range into Wales quite nicely, had even got as far as Bangor on the NW tip and more than the odd one was being reported in NE Wales from about 2004 onwards but I think that the rabbit and fox lampers have got into them as they seem to have disappeared to a great extent.

The BDS maps show them as well spread within Wales but I believe that the FC policy is still shoot on sight and there is probably nowhere other than the Upper Wye Valley and Radnorshire where there is more than an outside chance of seeing one.

Led to believe its all part of a reintroduction programme following on from the success of the wye valley project, now noted as one of the best places to see a goshawk i am told.

With regards to the Roe expansion,there was a road casualty seen last year on the Abergavenny/Pontypool road.
They are on their way, lets just hope they dont suffer the same fate as yours in NE Wales as I fear they will.

There was a real old, slow moving, blind buck noted making its way down from Hereford but i think Bandit managed a stalk at last:rofl:

With regards to the Roe expansion,there was a road casualty seen last year on the Abergavenny/Pontypool road.

Tell the truth - it fell out the back of the pickup, but you couldn't stop cos you could see the blue lights......

As for "old, slow and blind" that's no way to talk about Mr T? I only culled it to spare you the embarrassment of missing.

Back