PES/MAE T12 moderator

SimpleSimon

Hi all
I'm looking at getting a new moderator ordered for my 270. I've been using a T8 but it's showing some rust and I don't really like the aesthetics or handling of it. Sound reduction is very good, though.
Anyway I've got a few options in mind, one if which is the MAE (formerly PES) T12. I like that it's a slimmer and longer design more in-keeping with the normal lines of a rifle, and I like that it's stainless and so less likely to suffer the same fate as the T8.
Cab anybody vouch for the T12 in terms of build quality, sound reduction, etc.
My other choice is the Wildcat Evolution, which again is slimmer than the T8 and much lighter than T8 or T12 (which are the same weight).
Any thoughts on either one?

I've not got or used a Wildcat - but I do have a T12 on my .243 T3.....

It's stainless - as is my rifle - and is very well built, and to my Mk1 ears, does a good job of taming the noise. It is sturdy, and that is reflected in its weight vs some other mods (I have an Atec maxim on my .308, for example) BUT that does give some front end stability when required.

I'd quite happily have another. Fumzup from me.

My experience with the t12 is very good, noise reduction has to be one of the best also muzzle flip is also tamed because of the length and weight but to some people this is a downside being heavier than most on the market, to stop any noise I just used a laggy band wrapped around at the end this stops all the clanging, atb wayne

I might be of help here.
I have an original stainless T12, a T8 and an ATec. Depending on what I'm doing I've used them on all my rifles .22/250, 6.5x55 and 30/06.
I've had the T12 for 15 years, it's really well built and moderates the sound as well as anything. It's downside is that it really is heavy.
The T8 is what it is, cheap and cheerful it is light but you've got to be prepared to throw it away when it rusts through the spot welds.
The best is the ATec, is built the same quality as the T12 but without the weight penalty. It's my go to moderator and is normally to be found on the 30/06
If I buying now I'd be looking at the new titanium body moderators

You won't find a better build or sound reduction mod on the market, but they are heavy, that said they balance out well on a rifle, I only notice if carrying for a long way. If you run out of bullets you also have a good baton to finish them off with should you need, they are indestructible and as quiet as you can get, have used several alternatives and always come back to the mae.

That's three and a half votes for the T12 then!
I might have known I'd end up spending nearly twice as much, I wish I'd kept quiet and bought the Wildcat like I was going to :D

that's exactly what my mates say, if you can't kill the quarry with a bullet you can always bludgeon it to death with the T12, typically New Zealand durability

that's exactly what my mates say, if you can't kill the quarry with a bullet you can always bludgeon it to death with the T12, typically New Zealand durability

That'll be useful. I've typically just buttstroked any fallow when I've run out of ammo and had to charge them down, but it doesn't half make a mess of a nice English Walnut stock. :-|

Interesting thread as I'm in the market, what is the going rate for a T12?

Around £350 by the look of things. Bit less for plain stainless, bit more for black finish. I wish I'd still got some Duracoat finish, I could have an exact match then for the barrel and action, but never mind. Black is black and the deer will know no different.

I have one, albeit made under the older PEZ name. As above, they are indestructible but are heavy. Sound moderation is good and they do seem to attenuate recoil well too. I also use an ASE SL5 which is much shorter (not being a reflex type) and much much lighter. It also offers great sound reduction on my .308 and is stainless. Don't know how long it will last compared to the MAE/PEZ but it's stainless as well. Of the two, I'd recommend the SL5 over the T12. It seems to do everything the T12 does without being so unwieldy or heavy and for less money.

Back