Thread: Sunday Thought

Sunday Thought

Well we are almost at the end of 2015 and here is my summary of the year.
    Personally I have had a great year and made a lot of new friends and learned a lot about an industry that I truly love.
    I have had some amazing highs such as receiving my DSC2 at the beginning of the year and my first SWARO scope at the end of the year (thankyou to my lovely wife Dawn), I also started reviewing expensive and brilliant hunting products for Bushwear, Laserware , Thomas Jacks and John rotherey Wholesale (Bisley) giving me access to a lot of products that just are out my price range and normally I would only be able to look.

One thing though I have noticed is a few LOW points in our community such as the "land reform bill" in Scotland and terrorist attacks culminating in the EU asking for yet more European legislation in regards to Firearms and obviously the new licensing for airguns in Scotland (which in many regards I agree with), but, putting aside the politics that none of us can control there is one big LOW that the industry has not addressed and that is the division between us all.

From 2016 we will start to see some of the biggest changes that there has been in recent years in regards to the sports that we love within the UK and specially Scotland as well as the rest of Europe, however, during a point where the industry should stand together we have some major divisions still in place.

Personal political agendas are no place right now. I have always said that our biggest enemy is ourselves and the attitude we show when things don't go our own way is wrong, spitting the dummy out the pram never actually helps our way of life.
    It is time that we all stood together but the problem is there are so many different ideas that every debate turns less and less healthy and there is already enough myths and lies in the industry. So no matter whether you are a Airgunner, Shotgunner, stalker, Plinker, landowner, pest controller, gamekeeper, Paid Syndicate member or just a follower of fieldsports in general it is actually time for a collective community supporting our own way of life no matter what method you use to hunt instead of the divisions between us. Even the organisations that are supposed to represent us are divided in their views and representation. It truly is sad to see.

On a personal note I have learned a lot from people already in the business and had a lot of support but there is still a lot of selfishness and jealousy, just for example, I offered out the odd night with me lamping with me for the craic and what did I receive in return comments such as "You should offer a wage" and "if you cant do your permissions by yourself I can take it off your hands" so I stopped offering in general. It is attitudes like that that spoil what we do as a community.

We now live in a world where the justification for hunting has very few defences and each year those defences become fewer and fewer. We live in a world where if we want to eat we got to the shop so the justification of hunting is really not there in the eyes of the majority of the population of this country and frankly we are a minority and division in our groups makes us even more isolated.
    I am not asking for love and peace but a bit less division would be nice and most of all a little more manners.
    Sorry for my thoughts of the day but I think it was relevant.

Wise words Sir. Was a pleasure to meet you, and sorry we haven't been back up that way of late. Glad to hear you got a new scope eventually too !!

Yer mrs was hiding it from me hence the hassle from her , it is good to have met you too mate

"You should offer a wage" and "if you cant do your permissions by yourself I can take it off your hands" so I stopped offering in general. It is attitudes like that that spoil what we do as a community.

Name and shame them. Folks like that aren't worth a kick up the ass!

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

It was on a facebook group mate , The people on here know I am more than capable of looking after my own permissions

Another reason for me NOT to have a facebook account!

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Very well said. Unity amongst ourselves as field sportsmen, and a willingness to stand up and be counted and defend our hobbies and our way of life rather than hiding away and hoping "the anti's" will stop pestering us if we pretend we aren't doing what we do. We need to make an effort to regain acceptance for what we do and be willing to risk the debate with colleagues, neighbours and friends so that they can see we aren't raving nutters with bloodlust and a fetish for loud bangs. Everyone I know knows that I shoot and not all of them like it, but at least they can see that I'm a normal bloke from a normal background and hopefully understand a little about why I do it.
    This positive publicity should be our focus (and the focus of our representative bodies), not bickering about fox hunting or the ethics of corporate pheasant shoots, or which shooting organisation is best.
    I have only been shooting for a little under two years and I fear, genuinely, that I may not get to continue for much of the five or six decades that I hope I have left on earth.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY

I think you hit many nails on all of their heads there.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 01-12-2015 at 16:54.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.