Security Paranoia

kes

Advice chaps - went out clay shooting this morning and realised 10 miles up the road that I couldnt find my cabinet keys on me. Stopped the car, no keys - so back home before anyone else was up and found them in the lock on the cabinet. Fortunately no harm done. Later told the family why I was late returning and was ridiculed for not just texting and getting one of the family to keep the keys. Dont you trust us ?
For me this is not the point - I am responsible and therefore I'd rather have cancelled the day than leave the keys - am I nutty or is this 'the right thing to do'.
Your views would be appreciated but I cant see myself changing.
Cheers

Of course everyone is going to agree that you did the right thing, doing otherwise would be inciting people to break the law, no one would be stupid enough to do that on an open forum would they??

Ian.

Kes,

Certainly the right decision, if something had gone wrong you could have been facing potential loss of FAC & SC. For me that would be game over as most of my life has been fieldsports.
You will sleep better tonight for doing the right thing.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Of course everyone is going to agree that you did the right thing, doing otherwise would be inciting people to break the law, no one would be stupid enough to do that on an open forum would they??

Ian.

Whitebeard I note a certain cynicism in your posts generally - I actually think people are honest and not given to placate a force that doesnt know who they are.
Thanks howerver for your comment.

Whitebeard I note a certain cynicism in your posts generally - I actually think people are honest and not given to placate a force that doesnt know who they are.
Thanks howerver for your comment.

I think you'd be surprised of the number of FEOS on here and other site including Facebook who know exactly who we are. I know of one other person on Facebook under a false/joke name who was called out by their FEO.

Seriously---you are admitting on an open forum that you were in breach of your firearms conditions AND you are asking others if they would have done something different, which given the other options were to phone home and get the missus to hold them OR do nothing, both of which would then put you them in breach of their conditions.
My suggestion is that you get this thread removed immediately.

Seriously---you are admitting on an open forum that you were in breach of your firearms conditions AND you are asking others if they would have done something different, which given the other options were to phone home and get the missus to hold them OR do nothing, both of which would then put you them in breach of their conditions.
My suggestion is that you get this thread removed immediately.

Even firearms cert holders are human - I'll tell you if the police call in my certs. - I thought I was paranoid. N.B. Despite my initial forgetfulness, I returned 20-30 miles to ensure my responsibility wasnt breached, as a matter of the utmost priority. The post is fine and a worthwhile reminder to all of us that we need to be vigilant. Thanks for your thoughts.

I do have to say that seeking legal advice on a forum is plain Dumb.

Also - read the conditions on your certificate and if you cant understand them speak to your shooting organisation, or join one. They will advise even if they wonder if you should have a certificate for contemplating putting family members in illegal possession of remaining guns in the cabinet whilst you enjoyed your, well, probably last shoot before your family are prosecuted for illegal possession and you get off with just a revocation.

Also - read the conditions on your certificate and if you cant understand them speak to your shooting organisation, or join one. They will advise even if they wonder if you should have a certificate for contemplating putting family members in illegal possession of remaining guns in the cabinet whilst you enjoyed your, well, probably last shoot before your family are prosecuted for illegal possession and you get off with just a revocation.
Hmm self righteous much? the OP admitted an error, and stated he corrected it ASAP, now it could be argued that he should have kept it schtum but in putting it on an open forum he has highlighted the need to be ever vigilant and the correct action to take.

He wasn't seeking legal advice. He showed he was human, made a mistake, and acted diligently.

edit: I would not have posted. But if this ends up in court though I'll contribute...

Last edited:
Some people, I'm sure hover about on this site looking to pick faults and criticise. Probably get a thrill out of it because they are absolutely perfect.

We are all human and prone to the occasional lapse in memory or mistake. Leaving a key in your gun cabinet inadvertently is one of these human mistakes. The OP reacted perfectly correctly on realising the situation and thankfully no harm was done. By posting about this experience he may well have encouraged others to avoid doing the same, and highlighted the correct way of remedying such a situation. We even have some good advice about cabinets with digital locks for the Stalking Directory Massif to cogitate on.

As as for whether the OP has committed an infringement of his certificate conditions, well I wonder who is the worse - him for posting about it or those those that seek to highlight it.

Advice chaps - went out clay shooting this morning and realised 10 miles up the road that I couldnt find my cabinet keys on me. Stopped the car, no keys - so back home before anyone else was up and found them in the lock on the cabinet. Fortunately no harm done. Later told the family why I was late returning and was ridiculed for not just texting and getting one of the family to keep the keys. Dont you trust us ?
For me this is not the point - I am responsible and therefore I'd rather have cancelled the day than leave the keys - am I nutty or is this 'the right thing to do'.
Your views would be appreciated but I cant see myself changing.
Cheers

Sounds entirely reasonable to me. Completely human thing to do (we all make mistakes, although some are narcissists and won't admit it....) and 100% with what you did to put it right. My Mrs still doesn't seem to get why she can't have access to the cupboard, neither does she get why I won't let neighbours have a house key when we go away.

I keep my keys in a code lock key safe tucked away in a cupboard. Not everyone's choice but it works for me & I don't have to worry about losing my key(s) whilst I'm out & about.

Nobody is saying that they are perfect.
We just have to seem to be.
Admitting you are not, where people who may not be sympathetic can see it, is flirting with danger.
You did the right thing by going back, we all make mistakes. You just needed to keep quiet about it.

Ok here it is , if I had left home and forgot to take the keys out of the safe, I would have rang the wife and told her to lock it, and put the keys in a safe place.
now here's my defence,
1.if the house had been broken into while I was attempting to return home, the consequences would have been greater than my wife who is a law abiding citizen knowing where my keys were.
2 I would not have posted it on the web for the world to know what I had done.
3 if the police had turned up for a random inspection, the wife would have said she did not know where the keys are, and to come back when I was home

Ok here it is , if I had left home and forgot to take the keys out of the safe, I would have rang the wife and told her to lock it, and put the keys in a safe place.

Do you have any idea how much stuff the Gunn household is searching for that was supposedly put away "in a safe place" :eek:

We'd have to empty the fridge, look in the washing machine, take the cushions off the chairs, check the tops of every cupboard, look in all Mrs Gunn's old handbags.....and still not find them ;)

Last edited:
Back