What kinde of dog?

Swedehunter

What kinde of dogs do you guy's when hunting deer? or in another way...what kinde of dogs are you allowed to use?
I dont read much about using dogs in the way we do here in Sweden ..thats why i ask .

dogs here are used to follow up wounded deer, find dead deer and indicate unseen deer. we dont use them to drive deer. I use GWP,s

Is that because of hunting tradition or by law that you dont use them for driven hunt? We use them here to for wounded deer of'course but alsow for driven hunt. I got a Wachtel/ east siberian Laika for that.

When I think of coursing its using sight hounds but that's not what the OP is using for his hunting.

Sweedhunter I had the pleasure to hunt in sweden for moose and boar I spent most of the time with the guys working the dogs as this was far more exciting than stood on the line.
I managed to get within a few feet of a large bull moose and many others that week. I find it very interesting to see how others hunt and be part of different hunting cultures, atb wayne.

What kinde of dogs do you guy's when hunting deer? or in another way...what kinde of dogs are you allowed to use?
I dont read much about using dogs in the way we do here in Sweden ..thats why i ask .

Not really but when I hunt in Sweden we used Elkhunds and Plotthunds. Recently the law was changed so you can use Elkhunds and Tax for sambar. Before in driven hunts we used beagles and bloodhounds. Now we can use Harriers. For "other breeds" apart from gun dogs we can use jack russels, fox terriers, tax, finnish spitz, elkhunds, german terriers (but only two at a time).

Here is a picture of them here being used in Australia.

http://www.aussiehoundsmen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=553

So I Dont think Swedehunter mentioned coursing, he asked "What kinde of dogs do you guy's when hunting deer? " to which the answer is all the common HPRs, Retrevers,terriers and some other breeds and mongrels.

Swedehunter, sorry that some guys got the wrong idea. We as a nation have not been into moving deer with dogs in order to push them towards rifles. We dont use dogs to "hold" dogs at bay either. Basically we use dogs to assist us when we stalk. We tend to use the common gun dog breeds and some will use bmh, and terriers. I get a few guests to take stalking and usually I ask them about the dogs they use

It was just a simple question just because i dident know about how you guy's in general hunt with dogs.... no meening to offend anyone :)))))))))

Don't worry about offending anyone, i know its the Swedish way not to offend ;).

They could hunt deer with a dog like a tax or drever but the UK Hunter has little idea how to enjoy a days hunting with their mates. A taxen and a shotgun, the only way to hunt roe deer.
Now that will get a few hot under the collar as I've mentioned a shotgun to shoot roe.

Apologies, I didn't twig you weren't talking coursing. Rem284 has pretty much the answer to your questions. Although training a terrier to be steady when spotting/smellin deer is proving to be a bloody nightmare! Never boring though!

To try and give you a full answer. There are various ways dogs are used to hunt deer in the UK. The main use is to follow a trail left by shot deer for this use it is mainly German Wirehaired Pointers, Bavarian mountain hounds and maybe Labradors which are used. Though Tekels, weimeraners, Hanoverian hounds and lots of other dogs are used for this job (I have used my collie cross springer). The pointer breeds will also show where a deer is hiding. It is illegal in the UK to chase a deer with a dog to kill it if it is not wounded. Some people do still do this, we call this coursing and the dogs used are normally sight hound crosses e.g greyhound bull terrier crosses. We don't really drive deer to be shot like they do in Germany or use hounds to bring them to bay like you do with Elk Hounds in Sweden. In the south of England there used to be packs of stag hounds which brought red deer stags to bay for shooting, but I believe this has been banned now.

To try and give you a full answer. There are various ways dogs are used to hunt deer in the UK. The main use is to follow a trail left by shot deer for this use it is mainly German Wirehaired Pointers, Bavarian mountain hounds and maybe Labradors which are used. Though Tekels, weimeraners, Hanoverian hounds and lots of other dogs are used for this job (I have used my collie cross springer). The pointer breeds will also show where a deer is hiding. It is illegal in the UK to chase a deer with a dog to kill it if it is not wounded. Some people do still do this, we call this coursing and the dogs used are normally sight hound crosses e.g greyhound bull terrier crosses. We don't really drive deer to be shot like they do in Germany or use hounds to bring them to bay like you do with Elk Hounds in Sweden. In the south of England there used to be packs of stag hounds which brought red deer stags to bay for shooting, but I believe this has been banned now.

But you could hunt deer in the UK with a Teckle or a Drever ( google Drever to find out what they are) or there are several french basset hounds breeds that you could hunt roe with.

Great sport hunting roe with a short legged dog. Plus it gives you a new insite to roe behaviour.

Back