.270 re-loading advice please?

FrenchieBoy

Up to now I have been using PPU 130g softpoints in my Parker hale Safari .270 rifle with pretty good success and reasonable accuracy. However I have just swapped over from the Parker Hale to a Steyr Mannlicher (Model M also in .270 calibre)
I went out yesterday to zero the rifle up and even though I got it zeroed without any problems the best I could manage was something like a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards - Maybe it is partly a case of needing to get used to the new rifle which seems to fit quite well but I would like to try for slightly better accuracy than that!
I realise that a different factory ammunition might tighten the group up a little but I believe that the real (And possibly slightly more economical) answer would be to go back down the re-loading route. (I do have a fair bit of experience in re-loading rifle ammunition)
Most of my shooting is park and farm culling for Sika, Red and Fallow deer (I know it might go against the grain for some but all head shot out to around 100 yards maximum) However, I will also be using the rifle for the occasional bit of Roe Stalking as well. With this in mind what weight and type of bullet/heads and which powder would you guys suggest might be best combination to try re-loading with as a starting point please?

Hi Frenchie, I just recently got a 270 from a smashing chap on here...I haven't reloaded for that caliber before, and had some factory Federal powershok, which do a great job. BUT, as I reload for 222 and 243, decided to get some dies and cases...I dont know anyone who reloads for 270, so, when I was in Inverness recently, I visited Grahams, and had a chat, the chap there advised me to start off with Speer Hot-Cor 130gr HCSP and Reloader 22 powder.......

So far so good, hitting the target at about 1" at 100yds, which is good enough for me mate...:)

Good luck..

150gr Sierra gameking with Viht N-165 at 2850fps are accurate in my Tikka T3.

Otherwise, my favourite so far is 110gr copper bullets with Ramshot Hunter at 3450fps. A lot of energy and shoot very flat.

IMR-4350, H-4831, and RL-19 are really good powders for the 130-gr and 140-gr bullets.
RL-19 is the same powder as Norma 204. RL-22 is the same as Norma MRP ( now being replaced, I think).
55.0 to 60.0 gr MAX RL-19 or H-4831 with a 130-gr, depending on the case. I use Rem or Win LR primers and Lee Factory Crimp Die.
I just use Speer, Sierra and Hornady (140-gr SST in my 24-inch rifle).

Basic vanilla Federal 130-gr SP, and their 150-gr, SPT or RN, shoot well in my Steyr Model M Stutzen .270 Win.

Had a look and back then I was using either Reloader 19. Winchester 760 or H380 with 130 Grain Ballistic tips. The H380 and Nosler Ballistic Tip proved to be accurate at 600 yards on the Ash complex ranges when shooting with the club back then. The Win 760 proved to be very good with the Sierra Game King 150 grain SPBT and Reloader 19 was used with the Sierra 140 Grain Game King HPBT to good effect. The data covers an 8 year period. Sadly Winchester 760 became impossible to get and that is why the other powders were tried.

H380 was the surprising one as it is often not thought of when discussing the 270 catridge yet it's listed in both the Speer #12 and the Hodgdons #26 although the charge weights are very different. Speer claim it requires a magnum primer but I never found that to be the case and was using CCI Large Rifle primers or Fed 210 depending on what was available on the shelves when I needed to buy primers. Reading the foreword in the #26 manual probably gives the reason why I tried H380 as looking at the bullets tried I see Remington 100 Grain PSP bullets and Hodgdons recommend giving H380 a try. Seems that I did just that .

The classic powders for the 270 are 4831 either from IMR or Hodgdon closely followed by 4350 again offered by both companies.

I realise that some do not favour Ballistic tip bullets for deer but the 130 Grain Ballsitic tip worked well for me.

I have just swapped over from the Parker Hale to a Steyr Mannlicher.......the best I could manage was something like a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards

should have kept the PH!!
some rifles just don't like prvi
some love it
I have tried it in a .243, .222x2 and a .270 and 1.5" would have been a good group!

I stick with 130gr now
N160, RL19/22, 4831, Ramshot all work in some
not used magnum primers just CCI200
I tend to load them with a decent jump, most of my rifles prefer that

current load for roe and red is 54.5gr N160 under 130gr Hornady interlocks
nothing has got away yet

chasing speed is futile IMO
get an accurate load and start shooting

should have kept the PH!!
some rifles just don't like prvi
some love it
I have tried it in a .243, .222x2 and a .270 and 1.5" would have been a good group!

I stick with 130gr now
N160, RL19/22, 4831, Ramshot all work in some
not used magnum primers just CCI200
I tend to load them with a decent jump, most of my rifles prefer that

current load for roe and red is 54.5gr N160 under 130gr Hornady interlocks
nothing has got away yet

chasing speed is futile IMO
get an accurate load and start shooting

I appreciate what yopu are saying about some rifles not liking PPU ammunition. However I have found and rectified a part of the problem. I was looking at a scope which was identical to the one on my previous .270! Anyhow I swapped it over on the the Mannlicher and took it out to zero it this afternoon, again using PPU 130g Softpoints.
After "getting on the paper" @ 25 yards (I don't posess a bore sighter so had to do it the hard way) I stepped it out to 110 descent sized paces and zeroed up at that. When I had the rifle and scopes zeroed then set a fresh target out at exactly the same range and I shot four in a nice tight 18mm group right in the centre of the target, so after all that the Mannlicher isn't too bad with PPU.
Even so I will still be thinking about reloading my own ammunition some time after Christmas.

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered their advice!

If you are exclusively head shooting then many will use a frangible bullet like Nosler ballistic tips. These generally shoot really well. As has been said before chase accuracy not speed

I am using 130g Barnes brass bullets, with 55g HMR 4350 and CCI primers in PPU cases, in my Parker Hale .270 work a treat, no idea of speed as no chrono. Shoots better than I do. :D

Once again thanks for all the advice.
I should stress that if I go down the home loading route I am not over interested in getting as much speed as possible out of whatever round I use, I'm much more interested in accuracy and the efficiency of the rifle bullet combination for what I want to use the rifle for!

Keep it simple, go for 130gr sierra prohunter or gameking sbt, my 308 loves the gameking boat tail, but the lads 30-06 likes the flat base pro hunters.
choose powder you can get hold of easy, I like vit powders, but ramshot magnum may be worth a try in 270

Back