Devon and Cornwall Police - Open Cert Query

Leopoldo

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I'm sure it is a common issue..

I recently had my FAC less restricted, but it still carries the condition that the land needs clearing before I can shoot on it.
When I have asked D&C police how I have this restriction removed they were vague to say the least. Obviously some land owners don't appreciate a police visit for any number of perfectly legitimate reasons, and I have one such recently-aquired permission in North Devon which I may now not be able to actually shoot for that reason. Moreover, this condition makes it impossible to accept a quick invitation to shoot somewhere without first a) calling the FLD to see if the land is already cleared, and b) waiting an age to have someone come out to clear it.

The D&C firearms dept said, and I quote; "even with an open certificate the land still needs to be cleared". I'm not sure how this makes sense, as it effectively means anyone in D&C would have a restricted certificate regardless...

Can anybody with experience dealing with D&C police shed any light on it?

Thanks

The D&C firearms dept said, and I quote; "even with an open certificate the land still needs to be cleared". I'm not sure how this makes sense, as it effectively means anyone in D&C would have a restricted certificate regardless...

Can anybody with experience dealing with D&C police shed any light on it?

Thanks
Firstly, the land does not need to be cleared if your certificate is 'open'

D&C police are very good in my experience.
Looking at your previous posts you have had a FAC for about a year, you also stated you were going to do your DSC1, do you have any guides/experienced stalkers who could provide a reference?
Just put together some evidence and send in your FAC, it's done on a case by case basis.
I will do the deer stalking on the North Devon patch until you get it opened up....only joking!
Best of luck
Cheers
Richard

I recently had my FAC less restricted, but it still carries the condition that the land needs clearing before I can shoot on it.

In what way have you had your FAC 'less restricted' already? How long have you held it?

It makes no sense because it's not the case - unless they are referring to the single piece of land that you need to support your 'good reason' for x, y or z firearm, (assuming you have nominated land rather than relying on paid stalking, invitaions, etc.

Best to compose a well thought out letter to the head of the FLD outlining your reason for requesting the condition be removed and provide supporting evidence.

Oh, and I'm closer to North Devon than Richard is! :D

I too have always found D&C extremely helpful. If what Richard said that you have only held your FAC for a year then I guess this is the problem. From what I remember it automatically becomes "open" at the next renewal when the problem you outline would disappear?

Firstly, the land does not need to be cleared if your certificate is 'open'

D&C police are very good in my experience.
Looking at your previous posts you have had a FAC for about a year, you also stated you were going to do your DSC1, do you have any guides/experienced stalkers who could provide a reference?
Just put together some evidence and send in your FAC, it's done on a case by case basis.
I will do the deer stalking on the North Devon patch until you get it opened up....only joking!
Best of luck
Cheers
Richard

Thanks, Richard

Yes, I've actually had my FAC just less than a year, and just had the "accompanied" condition removed, enabling me to stalk on my own.
I'm not in a big rush to get the last condition removed, more just curious because D&C police were so vague and noncommittal in their responses to my queries.
I can certainly get references, and I have done a LANTRA DMQ earlier in the year. In that regard I'm quite happy to put together a case in another few months.

Thanks for the input. You wouldn't want the land in north Devon, I'm sure. Like most of my permissions, it's not the best.... :D

Thanks, Richard

Yes, I've actually had my FAC just less than a year, and just had the "accompanied" condition removed, enabling me to stalk on my own.
I'm not in a big rush to get the last condition removed, more just curious because D&C police were so vague and noncommittal in their responses to my queries.
I can certainly get references, and I have done a LANTRA DMQ earlier in the year. In that regard I'm quite happy to put together a case in another few months.

Thanks for the input. You wouldn't want the land in north Devon, I'm sure. Like most of my permissions, it's not the best.... :D

thats good you should not have had the accompanied/Mentor restriction any way and should also have AOLQ on all cals

you're unlikely to get the Closed land bit removed quickly without a lot of reasoning and back up /experience especially within a year of grant

thats good you should not have had the accompanied/Mentor restriction any way and should also have AOLQ on all cals

For D&C the mentor condition seems to be standard with new FACs. Why do you say I should not have had it, out of interest?

FLDs have been specifically instructed by the NPCC (aka continuity ACPO) not to use it. Further reinforced by the recent HMIC report into Firearms Licensing that hauled most police forces over the coals for not implementing the HO Guidance to Police - which does not include 'mentoring' as a valid condition.

Oh, and I'm closer to North Devon than Richard is! :D
Only just!:D

You wouldn't want the land in north Devon, I'm sure. Like most of my permissions, it's not the best.... :D
No such thing!

OK, i used to be a deer stalking guide, one of my clients has had his FAC for 2 years, he applied 10 days ago to get it opened up to Devon & Cornwall police, he turned up on my door today with a smile on his face, they turned it around and he got it back opened up, all he did was provide evidence that he has been stalking with me and shot several deer, and he passed his DSC1 earlier this year.
Cheers
Richard

No such thing!

OK, i used to be a deer stalking guide, one of my clients has had his FAC for 2 years, he applied 10 days ago to get it opened up to Devon & Cornwall police, he turned up on my door today with a smile on his face, they turned it around and he got it back opened up, all he did was provide evidence that he has been stalking with me and shot several deer, and he passed his DSC1 earlier this year.
Cheers
Richard

Cheers, Richard. I've still yet to do DSC1, but completed the BDS Deer Management Course earlier this year (for which DSC1 is normally a prerequisite) with 89%. I'll probably wait until I've done DSC1 and then apply to get it opened, as I said, I'm not in too much of a rush, just a smidgeon inconvenient with one or two permissions.

As for the land, most of my land has footpaths, houses, horses and is flat as a pancake. Nothing a high seat wouldn't fix, but that's another matter....

Back