Trying to get a foot in the door?

finnbear270

Not strictly deer related, but, I have just spent a half hour trying to find an e bay seller,from who'm I purchased some shooting intro / contact cards from, many moons ago, anyway after searching through Google, I found him, with his own paypal enabled website, "shootingcards.co.uk", I re ordered the card of my choice, & as I see lots of newbies on here looking to get a foot in the door, this is a good way of showing you are on the right track, I'm pretty sure Admin wont mind me giving this guy a mention?:)

as I see lots of newbies on here looking to get a foot in the door, this is a good way of showing you are on the right track

Not with me, and the landowners that I know, its not!:mad:

In fact about the easiest way of getting right up their noses, is to stuff a calling card into their hands as a means of introduction or in the hope of getting them to give you a call offering an opportunity to shoot on their land. Every one I get is simple torn up and tossed out the window of the truck or confined to that great storage device for unwanted paper........................................................ the stove in the office.

Emdoc, you are obviously on the wrong end of the stick straight off, On approaching a prospective landowner, having no hard copy contact details is an instant turnoff, lets say a little bit like a pikey....no tax disc , no landline number etc, etc,:cool:.....and no one worth his salt would contemplate slotting one through a letterbox?, I would think that a newbie wanting his or her first bit of vermin shooting, might consider that a face to face would be more productive?........Also it seems to me, you have flagged up a certain disregard of your own, for anyone that might want to get started in "your" area.:rolleyes:.............., just like you can never see all of the ground at once,........... you can't shoot it all yourself.

Emdoc, you are obviously on the wrong end of the stick straight off, On approaching a prospective landowner, having no hard copy contact details is an instant turnoff, lets say a little bit like a pikey....no tax disc , no landline number etc, etc,:cool:.....and no one worth his salt would contemplate slotting one through a letterbox?, I would think that a newbie wanting his or her first bit of vermin shooting, might consider that a face to face would be more productive?........Also it seems to me, you have flagged up a certain disregard of your own, for anyone that might want to get started in "your" area.:rolleyes:.............., just like you can never see all of the ground at once,........... you can't shoot it all yourself.

FB

Have to disagree with you all the way. Land owners prefer proper introductions and good manners. Having some unknown thrusting calling cards in you hand is the first step in getting off on the wrong foot. Any Mick, Pat, Bob. or Steve can get them made up, Vista Print will virtually do them for naff all. Its just another of those gimmicks that every man jack seems to be using that simply doesn't work.

You'll have to explain this one "Also it seems to me, you have flagged up a certain disregard of your own, for anyone that might want to get started in "your" area.:rolleyes:.............., just like you can never see all of the ground at once,........... you can't shoot it all yourself. " As I can't fathom out what the hell you're on about.

Have you been on the sauce?

Personally I think the card is an 'enabler'. It won't do anything if your face 'doesn't fit' for a particular landowner/farmer but it can help greatly if they are the type that like to mull upon it in their own time. I don't know what it says for my face but the card has worked for me once out of about 5 occasions. I drive past a farm shop every day on my way to work and have bought meats from them and one day thought this is ridiculous, I might as well just bite the bullet and ask. (this wasn't for deer by the way, just fox/vermin - there are no deer on this farm).

The farmer was polite but told me he had a 'friend with a rifle' who takes care of things like that. Well I thanked him for his time and left him a card on the off chance but had resigned myself for never hearing anything. Now I don't know whether it was fate smiling on me, or doing the dirty on him, but less than two weeks later I got a call - "help, a fox is taking my new born lambs right out of the lambing shed!" and I was in!

I think if you are relying on these cards to do the leg work for you then you are going about it the wrong way. They don't make up for face to face chats, legwork and lots and lots of rejections. They are just a convenience/reminder that can help the landowner make that crucial first call if you have already satisfied whatever criteria they are already looking for.

Alex

Last edited:
I agree with Finbear and Csl nobody has mentioned using these cards as the only means to introducing yourself to the farmer/landowner it still requires leg work and meeting the person and having a chat, I come from an agricultural background and it can be a busy one sometimes the farmer won't make a decision there and then and will mull it over when he has time or when he does have a vermin problem and if he is anything like me he would have forgotten who you are or any numbers you wrote on a piece of scrappy paper .
I have received permissions from a couple of farmers weeks down the line just because I left my card and he could phone me when he had problems.
One of them told me that nobody shoots on my ground because of his pedigree sheep but I had a chat and left him my card and then about 2 weeks later I got a call asking if I would pop in past for a a chat , Landed a nice piece of ground with a new tree plantation on it thats moving with deer.
So I still use them and give them to farmers I meet if it only works for you once then it been worth it .
Karl

Emdoc, If you really are having trouble understanding what I said about your outlook on potential newbies in *your* area, then I reckon I might struggle to get it across in a reasonably short time. bye the way, I tend to prefer sauce to vinegar................ think about it.

Yep, still reads like gibberish to me, even with your "explanation". Similar to what GB Shaw implied when he wrote [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "England and America are two countries divided by a common language.". [/FONT]I often find its the same with the north- south divide.

I bet you even like gravy on your chip.:p

The naked chip is wrong. It must be punished. The best way is to drown it in thick, green mushy peas!

Sam

Left a handful of the fresh cards in the farm shop at work this week, two new fox shoots to look at!,Toffs who roll up to buy asparagus having their ornamentals wiped out, must say the new cards are improved with better detailing, clearer font, & now have the B.A.S.C. logo along with C.L.A. on them.

Left a handful of the fresh cards in the farm shop at work this week, two new fox shoots to look at!,Toffs who roll up to buy asparagus having their ornamentals wiped out, must say the new cards are improved with better detailing, clearer font, & now have the B.A.S.C. logo along with C.L.A. on them.

Ah I know your identity now you are Paladin:D

You are probably not old enough to get that, but think some of the old codgers will

BT:old:

Had a call from a farmer who saw one of our cards pinned to the doorframe in a weighbridge office, all done & dusted, permission on initial twenty acres of bunny bashing, with a further freedom to roam on the whole property when we pile a few up for a photo opportunity!......... he was happy enough when I said we needed him to sign up perm forms to allow insurance cover to work, & even happier when I gave him some other farmers names to ring for references.:cool: ............................ Obviously doesn't believe in littering the countryside ,throwing intro cards out his vehicle window!!!:D

I always carry cards with me, when people ask for my contact number it's on the card, with my address, phone numbers and email address. I have had people ask me for my cards to pass on to their friends. When we do permission forms they get a copy of my insurance and large game food handling certificate etc.

I make mine on the computer and print out on card, Mrs FT has a guillotine (no wonder I am well behaved!) and I can make as many as I like, easy.

Simon

Edit; Brown sauce with fish chips and mushy peas, yum :drool:

The naked chip is wrong. It must be punished. The best way is to drown it in thick, green mushy peas!
Sam

why spoil the chip with green gush....crispy potatoe :p & get some salad creme !! Dear oh dear, I would have thought fried mars bars & salad creme were the norm your end of the border! :lol:

Back