A fine weekend

Last Sunday I was privileged to join a friend on his ground in the search for roe or fallow.
Sunday morning we stalked through some classic woodland with only the ubiquitous roe backside bouncing into the still standing bracken to let us know we'd been the ones to make a mistake on this occasion.
After stalking another piece of woodland we decided a plate of full English was in order.
Breakfast over we checked the high seats on the estate ensuring they were all in good order and the appropriate signage was in place.
With the afternoon drawing in it was off to a high seat to sit it out until dark.
I bumped two or three fallow that were laid up on the edge of the wood on the way to the high seat.
Half an hour or so later and out onto a clear area walk a fallow Buck and doe. The buck proceeded to mount the doe not once but three times in the space of a minute each time having the cross hairs on him but me unable to pull the trigger between fits of laughter and thinking should I or shouldn't I wait for him to finish!
His third jump over he started nudging the doe with his antlers and moved away from her about 4ft at which point I shot him. The doe looked at him with that look of disdain only a female after a jump can give a then ran towards me stopping about 100yds away and side on and dropped on the spot to the 30-06.
The buck was a good one to take and went 95lb but the big surprise was the doe which looked to be barren and went 105lb with about an inch of fat on her chest.
A great end to a cracking weekend having shot a red stag on the Saturday.
Many thanks to the gentlemen involved, they know who they are.
Tony

Back