Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good price on ultra light tent

Good price on ultra light tent

Not directly stalking related but a lot of folks on here spend time outdoors and so you might be interested that Uttings currently have what I think is a really good price on the Vaude Power Lizard 1 - 2 person tent. The main feature of this tent is that it is extremely lightweight though the general view is that it is a tight fit for 2 people, but very spacious for one. With camping gear "lightweight" usually means ultra-expensive and the full retail on the Vaude is £400 but Uttings have them at £200 at present. Even secondhand they often seem to sell for more than this. I've no idea if there is a catch (i.e. maybe it's last year's model or something) but worth a look if this stuff interests you:

Vaude Power Lizard SUL 1-2P Tent - Green |
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

That is a good price - and Vaude is good kit. Worth getting the footprint for any lightweight tent as well, they're around 20-30 quid and save holing the floor. This design generates good internal space and a lobby but you're right, they are a little bijou for two.

Lidl had some 2-man double-skin tents, ideal for carp anglers, earlier this year for £29.99.

Vaude produce excellent tents in my experience. Having spent countless nights "under canvass" during my years in outdoor education I can vouch for the quality. As far as suitability goes, it depends on what you are intending to use it for. The single arched pole does not give the tent a great deal of stability in exposed conditions when windy, but you have to sacrifice something for weight reduction.
    If you are going to be carrying it on your back for any length of time then you will notice the benefit. In anything but calmer lowland conditions you will need to put up with its inherent movement.
    If you want a more robust structure ( eg for mountainous areas, wilder conditions) go for a double, opposed pole design.
    As with all things, horses for courses.

Good info John, I am far from an expert at this but am just beginning my trip into camping, mostly at remote trout lochs in the Hebrides so that is the driver. I have a Banshee 200 and over the summer was doing some "experimental" camping to see if I liked it but to save money (no point spending a fortune if I hated it) I was carrying a lot of weight. In view of the fact that I really enjoyed it I'm now looking in the direction of getting the weight down to what it is realistic to carry. By reducing the weight in my stove, tent and (mostly) rucksack I can save approx 14lbs right off so I'm going to invest in the Vaude and give it a try this coming season. By and large I will be a "fair weather" camper as I'm simply not going out in wild conditions, this is about having fun and not about endurance or misery, so the single pole tent should work OK for me (I hope). My limited experience has shown me that weight is the absolute key element here as I'm a 10 stone weakling and at times over the summer there was over 40lb in my rucksack and on rough ground even a few miles of that stopped being fun.

Good on yer
    I spent ten years passing on my knowledge and ,hopefully,enthusiasm for the outdoors before advancing years and health problems made me give it up. Countless happy memories that you could not buy.
    I know well the problems that you are wrestling with. Due to lack of experience you tend to take everything in case you need it. It is surprising how little you do need.
    Something I used to teach participants, make a list of what you pack in your rucksack when you go out(and where it was packed). After the trip identify all the things you used and how often. You soon work out what is essential and what can be binned. Also it acts as a checklist so you don't forget anything next time.

just get a gortex bivey bag job done 30bills ebay very light

I agree that for super light and versatility a bivi is hard to beat. Add a decent tarp and you are even better. ( I would want to buy new, from past experience, so would expect to pay in the region of£200-£300.
    It also requires a little practice and experience to be comfortable so not what I would recommend to a novice.

Honestly, I really, really need a tent :-)

I bought this one (2 years ago i paid £345) Hilleberg Akto Tent| Cotswold Outdoor and it has been brilliant, in all weathers, if i could have afforded it i would have bought this Hilleberg Nallo 2GT Tent| Cotswold Outdoor for the space, it would have been worth the extra weight.
    I know they are spendy they are true 4 season tents.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon