mitsubishi warior l200

mo

Hello all. Just wondering who has the above 4x4? How do you rate in terms of comfort for moterway driving up to scotland etc and its off road capabilities? Im going to be selling my dihatsu fourtrack soon and was thinking of the above.. is there any ones i should avoid? all the best,

Mo :thumb:

Hi Mo,

In my experiance people tend to favour the Hi-Lux over the L200. I have little knowledge of either. But might be interested in you Fourtrax depending on the pennies ;)

Drop me a PM or whatever if you are interested.

Thanks

Sam

Hi Mo

I've been driving an L200 4Work for three years. It's very comfortable, quite good on fuel, goodish off road and with a trailer (both of which I do quite a lot of) and it's fine on a long haul (I go from Skye to Staffs a few times a year)

I have a few niggles - small ones though, like the heater switch breaking and the radio being pants.

But man is it an ugly truck!

Hi Mo
I drive a L200 animal 2002 model. its fine on long journeys, if driven steady i get 27mpg, pulls a big loaded box trailler no problem, i have an annoying problem with the engine managment light coming on for no apparent reason, i have to stop the engine wait a few minutes and it clears. all in all its a good truck. and i would have another one.
regards Geoff

ive just done exactly what your thinking about doing mate, i've just p/x my fourtrak in for a 2006 L200 Warrior, i've only had it a week but up to now i cant fault it, really pleased.

I've just resently got rid of my 03 l200 worrior, was a comfortable ride and not too bad off road! but engine management light would come on, some solonoids to do with the turbo went on it. seems to be quiet a common problem with them, would go for hi-lux if it were me!

atb Robbo

I have no idea if you want to buy a new or second hand car .If you're thinking new , there is the new VW Amarok coming on the market soon .
I've read the first tests in a few magazines and they seem very good . Just what you seem to be looking for , so do I .
1968 cc , 163 HP , 181 km/h , 0-100 kmh in 11.4 sec . Very economical on fuel 7.8 lit/ 100 km
Most "testers" give the impression of having seen the best ever pick up truck .
As they say : the biggest loading room ( not comparing with the big US trucks ) , the biggest inside , very little noise and very comfortable on and off road . Exceptional off road ability , ........ Impressed is the word you read in every test .

If you are going for the new type of either then you wont go wrong with either the L200 or the Hilux. Both very good trucks.

I have the L200 and its been brilliant, plus the higher spec ones have the power upgrade and you can now get an extended bed version that levels the playing field somewhat

Hilux has a bit bigger load area but seems to be a lot bigger all round apart from in the back seats where the L200 seems a bit more roomy (didnt make a difference to me because i dont sit in the back!)

I havent driven the Hilux but when i sat in one deciding what i was going to go for i prefered the interior of the L200.

Whichever you pick i reckon it will serve you very well but dont get sucked into the 'Top Gear' fever because i reckon that most 4x4 of that sort of vintage would have got through that test

The Hilux is probably the best around . If I would be pulling 2-3 ton trailers most days of the week , a 3 litre Hilux would be my choice .

As far as tests in magazines are reliable , the Amarok seems to be top class . Compared to Hilux , Navara , L200 , ....
By far the biggest inside , with most room for legs , etc .... The biggest loading room . Almost as comfortable on the road as a normal car . In this part he was much better than anything else. And on top exeptional off road qualities .
With this you get great looks , german engineering and a proven engine out of the tansporter T5 , wich is very economical on fuel .

I've never seen one , never owned a VW and even being a Hilux man , I probably would have a look at that Amarok first .

The conclusion of most tests was , VW came , looked around and made the best vehicle in this type of cars .
Time will tell .

I like the look of the Amorok too Hales Smut, but, the only thing which stopped me from putting the deposit down for one is the "unknown" factor with them being such a new model.

I think it will have to earn itself a proper used reputation, good or bad, certainly here in the UK anyway, until I'd be prepared to buy one.

At the moment it would feel like I would be paying for the pleasure of being a "test" driver.

The Amarok certainly ticks all the right boxes for me on paper, maybe in a year or two once it's been about a bit .

I have now bit the bullet & put down a deposit for delivery of a new Hilux in September, more driven by their reputation (not the Top Gear rep though) and known history of their reliability here in the UK.

Horses for courses I suppose & I'm sure the Amarok will turn a few heads and hope it lives up to it's initial reports/reviews.

rb

I fully agree with what you say .

Is the Amarok already available in the UK ? Not here in Belgium .
From the start on I am a Toyota man . Certainly in 4x4 . On the other hand , the VW will be a good bit cheaper . You would have a proven and tested engine and the same for the 4 motion system . One thing is very clear here on the continent . If you see sales representatives from whatever company , who use their car every day for work , almost never you see them using a japanese car . From all the representatives that visit me , not even one . ALL use german cars , VW passat , VW touran , Audi , BMW and Mercedes .
There must be a reason .

Ive had a quick look at the specs and

The L200 and the Hilux have the same payload in the bed
The Hilux will only tow 2250kg (L200 2700kg)
2.5litre Hilux has 14hp less than the standard L200 and 3ltr has about 10 more than the upgraded L200 (anything above 4 life) but i think the brand new L200 has more again

Thats not at all what i expected!

The Amarok seems to be very similar spec to the other 2

I have a L200 warrior its just over two years old and I've done about 32k in it so far.

Chuffed to bits with it not had a single problem, much better truck than the earlier L200. Well pleased with it off road, it go's the direction you want it to which my previous Navara didnt always a bit of a problem when you get to a muddy narrow gateway.:oops::rolleyes:

I drive it quite hard and get about 29mpg on average. You will get this at 70mph on the motorway. It will sit at 90 on the motorway quite happily (not that I ever do 90 :-| ) but the mpg will suffer.
My only complaint with it is the turbo lag. Once you have got used to this you rev it abit more between the gears and it flys. Hopefully the later 175bhp version will cure this.

I like the new Hilux great engine but I think the 4wd lets it down compared to the L200
The higher grade L200's have the super select 4wd like the shoguns which you can leave in 4wd all the time if you want with out any diff wind up.

I'll certainly be buying another next year.

WD

Back