First stalking rifle

if they say I can only have a 243.............

A bit of advice. Change your mindset and be a bit more positive about what you want and are applying for. You already have experience of sporting/field use of firearms - tick - you have the 'good reason' for the larger calibre rifle - tick - you are applying for a UK deer legal calibre that is not underpowered for it's intended purpose - tick. Complete the application form with the relevant information and have a read up on chapter 13 of the HO Guidance to Police.

If at interview the FEO tries to talk you out of your selected rifle/cartridge then simply ask for the application to proceed as it is.

As I understand it the minimum requirement for shooting boar in Europe is a .30 caliber, and red and fallow are both larger species so I dont think its unreasonable to ask for a .308.

The Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing law even states itself that ".270 and larger calibers are generally more suitable" for the larger species like red, sika and fallow. Its section 13.31 if you're interested! Link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417199/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v13.pdf

So given that you want to do boar hunting and the land you have access to has red and fallow present I'd say you have good reason (or at least the basis to discuss good reason with your FEO!) to request a .308 or even a .30-06.

thanks everyone i am very grateful of all your input , it has allowed me to produce a far more constructive and valid cover letter to back up my choice of rounds ,
i shall post my cover letter shortly to see what you guys think

Joe may I suggest that it would be advisable to delete your last post with the draft letter to the FEO as I think you may have got one or two things not quite correct or with an incorrect emphasis that may be used against your argument for the .308win.
Also it wouldn't really be right to name the underkeeper on an open forum.

Joe may I suggest that it would be advisable to delete your last post with the draft letter to the FEO as I think you may have got one or two things not quite correct or with an incorrect emphasis that may be used against your argument for the .308win.
Also it wouldn't really be right to name the underkeeper on an open forum.
thanks , I've just pm d you about it mate

For a first deer condition I recommend .243W as many Forces feel that the smaller the bullet the less dangerous it is, so you are more likely to be granted it. You may disagree with that opinion (many, if not all stalkers disagree) but one has to be pragmatic to get what you want.

Or one can put across a reasoned and concise argument for the need for something bigger. No point in getting something you don't want simply because it's pragmatic. You'll just end up selling or getting another rifle likely in the chambering you initially wanted

Or one can put across a reasoned and concise argument for the need for something bigger. No point in getting something you don't want simply because it's pragmatic. You'll just end up selling or getting another rifle likely in the chambering you initially wanted

Agreed. Provided the applicant has done their homework and has the evidence to support the 'good reason' for possession, then there can be no possible justification for 'downsizing' just to appease an FEO who might be trying to work to their own agenda.

This is where the ability to quote directly from the HO Guidance to Police will stand the applicant in good stead.

"Knowledge is Power" - Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626

Exactly. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I use a 45-120 which is .458". A good cover letter and a chat with the firearms decision man at police HQ and I was approved with no bother.

I'm about to apply for something much bigger (but no more powerful than a 30-06) for woodland stalking and I think I've made a good case for it but we shall see. If they reject it their reasons behind doing so will be interrogated and I will try and fix the objections they have.

No point laying down and taking it. Apply for what you want and see what happens.

Back