moose

John Gryphon

Snapped on the mates farm in Sweden

big%20boy_zpsmkz0pqs2.jpg

My Swedish host informed me about my beast that it was a 560 kilo job,the grand bull in the above pic is BIGGER!

Not big enough. I used to have a similar Honda HP250 tracked load carrier and I could fit 3 largish red hinds on at a pinch with the bed rails fully extended. The beauty of those things though is that provided you can hang on they will go up the proverbial side of a house, (or at least some seriously severe gradients!). Much more versatile than a quad IMHO.

View attachment 64027

To recover a big boy like the one the OP has pictured without busting a gut you'll need a Manitou or something like our current favourite means of extraction :D

View attachment 64026

Luckily moose hunt is most times a team effort, so you use either manpower, 4wd quad or simply a 4wd car to retrieve. Once on road just get it on trailer. Of course tractors are used also if available.

Luckily moose hunt is most times a team effort, so you use either manpower, 4wd quad or simply a 4wd car to retrieve. Once on road just get it on trailer. Of course tractors are used also if available.

Once on road just get it on trailer!?

How?!

I,didn't think that buggy thing would be big enough

I mean even if you field dress it into the two haunches , two fore legs and the saddles ...... How much would a haunch weigh?
Alone must be 90kg ?....

Just curious

Paul

Once on road just get it on trailer!?

How?!

Just for clarification, I mean road legal trailers that are towed bahind a car.

And usually moose are gralloched in forest, even when smaller animals are gralloched at larder facility.

I can get a moose calf on the trailer by myself, without using the tilt feature in trailer. Actually didn't think I could, at least easily, but did it a week ago since I didn't bother waiting for others. I'm average build.

A big wild boar is much much more difficult since it's shorter and kind of more rigid. Moose "flexes" so you can get front part first and then just continue pulling maybe with adjusted grip.

Even big adult moose would most times be doable by two men, but last time we just used other car to pull (trailer attached to first car). This would be by using the tilt feature.

And of course some have trailers equipped with winches etc.

Like I said most times there's a lot of folk (at least when you reach the trailer...) so with 4 or 6 men it's much faster to get the beast on trailer or even truck bed than hook up winches etc.

You must get more creative when you're alone and the task at hand is 100+ kg wild boar, big whitetail buck or something... I don't even want to think about a red stag you guys have...

Back