tikka t3

Joe.

Thinking about getting a tikka t3 anyone got one and would you recommend it? Looking to pay around £1500 for a full set up if anyone has any other recommendations

Tikka T3 lite synthetic stainless, optilock mounts, second hand glass (s&b or swaro or zeiss) dpt mod. My T3 is the most accurate out the box rifle I have ever had.

Buy S/H eigher tikka or sako with the spec mentioned above and have loads of money to go stalking left over

My t3 is my favourite rifle.

T3 varmint
Ase mod
Swarovski z3

Came in at less than 1100 quid. Leaves you some left for stalking too.

Shoots a ragged hole at 100 can't fault it

I have a T3 lite in .308

Pros: Very light, nice to handle, 19in barrel means that even with a big mod the rifle is not too long. Secondhand you'll be looking at £600-£800, so plenty of cash left from your budget.

Cons: factory 19in barrel too short to accelerate a .308 round with the usual .308 powders to high velocities. I am getting about 2680 fps with my current 150gn loads. The rifle really doesn't like anything faster as the groups seem to explode with higher loads. Bullet drop dramatic at 200+ yards.
Accuracy (at least with my T3) is not as good as most people seem to claim. Handloads just about get into an inch at 100 yards and factory 123gn sakos were hitting 1.5" (most going into 1" with occasional flyers).

The rifle does the job for the money and you can always sell it if you don't like it - there is always demand for them.

You won't go wrong with a T3 - it's probably the most common centrefire rifle in the country.
Great out of the box accuracy, well made and reasonably priced.
Plenty of good second hand rifles around, so you can spend more money on good glass and buy some stalking.

Cheers

Bruce

I have a tikka 695 in 25-06 cal and had it for about 15 years and can't fault it, still going strong and I use it for stalking all the time. I recently bought a Burris illuminated reticle 3-12x56 for said rifle last year and am very pleased with it, I was a bit concerned about how good it would be as it was not too costly and thought it might give problems returning/holding zero but brilliant buy and works well for me.

Cheers Andrew

I love mytikka, never had any accuracy problems with it, I've only shot PMC factory ammo for cases and I hand load now. Factory ammo shot under an inch/100yards hand loads are better.(when I do my bit) only minor thing, the bolt shroud being plastic looks like it could break easily. I haven't broken mine yet.
wes

I have three T-3 Lites: A blue 223, a stainless 308, and a blued 7mm-08. Fantastic rifles. All mine topped with Zeiss glass. I think they are the best buy in a good, accurate hunting rifle.~Muir

I have two both blue / wood 223 and 6x5x55,plus a slot for a 308 which will be another t3,when funds allow,doug,

As with the replies above. My .308 T3 is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've owned, shooting ragged one hole groups from new. Varmint model, optional 24 inch barrel in stainless, picatinny rail to offer a bit of flexibility for scope mounting, ASE Utra mod. Buy a good used one would be my recommendation (wish I had but couldn't find the longer barrel version which wanted for a bit of range work) and put as much cash into some decent glass as you do the rifle. All doable for £1500.

Think Swillington do a full package t3 mod scope rings for 1500ish
You can't fault tikka rifles for reliable accurate out the box shooting
Regards
Jimmy

I wouldn't buy a new factory T3, I would buy a newly rebarreled T3 or even better a rebarreled Tikka 595. That way you get the same gun but with a better spec, and most probably a more accurate rifle overall with at least the same if not better resale value.

For you budget it is quite possible to do it all for £1500.

I have a 308 T3 and a Sako 75 243

T3 is perfictly adiquate and the Sako is very nice

If they did a stainess synthetic Sako in LH id buy both 243 and 308 Sako

But they dont so ill settle for the T3

I paid £1300 for the Sako75 Swaro 8X56 A Tec Mod Bipod and sling SH. If your a RH shooter I sugest you do the same but it may take a while to find the right deel.

If you cant wait then T3s come up all the time but whilst you wont be disapointed, you wont get the wow factor of a Sako

ATB

Chasey

I wouldn't buy a new factory T3, I would buy a newly rebarreled T3 or even better a rebarreled Tikka 595. That way you get the same gun but with a better spec, and most probably a more accurate rifle overall with at least the same if not better resale value.

For you budget it is quite possible to do it all for £1500.

What's wrong with the factory spec barrel? Seems perfectly adequate. I'm not a great shot but even I can consistently manage 3/4 inch groups from the factory barrel when checking zero. Rebarrelling costs almost as much as a new T3, so really don't see your point at all unless it's related to longer distance target shooting, but out of the box, the standard T3 is outstanding for the money.

Hi,

I have a Tikka T3 SV in .243, it's a brilliant rifle and the one I use the most.

I have other custom rifles but the Tikka just works and shoots ½” @ 100 yards straight out of the box.

The action is smooth and very well built. The trigger was adjusted down to 2lb and that’s all that’s been done to it.

Can’t fault it.

You can't go far wrong with a Tikka T3.

I spent a small fortune on a custom rifle, all hand built and machined in the UK, cut rifled Boarder barrel etc. I was really pleased with it until my mate picked up his new T3 SV and it shot just as accurately right out of the box!

I now have a T3 SV too. :D

The T3 has a good reputation,but if you come across a 595 secondhand,you would get a superior rifle,the aftermarket bolt shroud is a must,especially if you find the stainless model.
Mind you,I own a 595 and find myself looking around for a Sako 75 to replace it,so maybe if you look for a little used Sako 75 with the varmint barrel and you'll own the rifle you may always hanker after.
You didn't mention the calibre you were looking for. There's an awful lot of little used rifles available at gunships around the country,you could save a lot of money for some quality optics.

Back