.308 or 30-06?

paul k

I'm thinking of moving to the dark side and getting a straight pull but also taking the opportunity to consolidate from my current two rifles (.243 and .270) to a single calibre. My obvious choices are .308 or .30-06 and, without starting one of the usual calibre debates, I'd like opinion on the relative merits of each.

You could cover the .243 with relatively mild loads of light bullets in the .270 Win. Neither the .308 nor .30-06 is as good for that.

I think you need to tell more about how you use your .243 and .270 - the quarry or targets, the ranges, the type of hunting, rifles you have now, mods, scopes - to give folks more of a hint.

You could cover the .243 with relatively mild loads of light bullets in the .270 Win. Neither the .308 nor .30-06 is as good for that.

I think you need to tell more about how you use your .243 and .270 - the quarry or targets, the ranges, the type of hunting, rifles you have now, mods, scopes - to give folks more of a hint.
Fair point, I mostly do woodland stalking for a range of quarry from reds/boar at the top end to roe/muntjac at the other end. I currently mostly use my .243 for everything up to fallow and the .270 for reds, boar and sika although I've shot big red stags with the .243. Ranges are usually inside 150 yards but occasionally out to 200 yards. I don't stalk on the open hill so long flat shooting is not essential. I've looked at ballistic charts and there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the .308 and .30-06 so it may come down to availability of ammo in different loads.

I use a T8 mod on the .270 but couldn't bring myself to cut the nice looking Steyr Mannlicher .243 so that is shot without a mod, the new rifle would have a mod.

Last edited:
30-06 with a rws dk 10,7g/165gr will do the job
but...
nothing wrong with your 270 loaded right? or don't you just like the rifle you have

The 308 was the 30-06 re-designed for modern powders. The reduced case capacity was due to not needing to stuff the case full of cordite rods. Yes you can load up the 30-06 case with more powder and push the projectile faster, however I don't think it's necessary in the UK.

On summary ....... 308

Actually on second thoughts 7mm08 ;)

If you decide to open the world to your sexual preference, the magazine in the 243 is the same as the magazine for the 308. So you only need to change the barrel, and if you have something to raise the cheek you don't need to slide the bolt off change mag and put it all back together.

i think the 270 mag and the 30.06 are the same.

So go for one of those combinations.

of course I have a 243 and a 30.06 :doh:. But I do love the 243.

...I've looked at ballistic charts and there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the .308 and .30-06 so it may come down to availability of ammo in different loads.

I use a T8 mod on the .270 but couldn't bring myself to cut the nice looking Steyr Mannlicher .243 so that is shot without a mod, the new rifle would have a mod.

On paper, 100 fps difference between .308 and .30-06 - in the real world, between a .308 with short barrel and .30-06 with long barrel, there is a lot of difference.

If you are going to chop the barrel to 20 inches, go .308. But then you are back to the same as your .270 Win is now. Same thing if you buy a 7mm-08 with a 20-inch barrel.

It sounds like you really like the fine old .243 Steyr Mannlicher. Do you really want to sell it?
How about an answer to what you did not ask? Keep the .243. Keep the .270. Spend way less money on a nice conventional bolt action like a CZ 550, Tikka Battue, or Sako in 9.3x62.

I've looked at ballistic charts and there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the .308 and .30-06 so it may come down to availability of ammo in different loads.

That's your answer right there.

What bullets are you likely to favour and want to use?

Up to 165 grain or thereabouts 308
Above 30 06

I have a 308 and have used from 130 to 165 grains and don't see the need for anything else. I had a 243 but sold it as I favoured the 308 and so it was dead money!

One size does not fit all. Get a swap barrel rifle by all means, but go with a 243 and 30/06 combination. You are then well equipped for all the UK has to offer.

I'm thinking of moving to the dark side and getting a straight pull but also taking the opportunity to consolidate from my current two rifles (.243 and .270) to a single calibre. My obvious choices are .308 or .30-06 and, without starting one of the usual calibre debates, I'd like opinion on the relative merits of each.

Have a read of Knowledgebase a variety of factory ammo is readily available for both calibres.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammo.htm

Regards JCS

In real life does it make any difference ?
I think not.
Bullet choice might be more important than the calibre !

Get a switch barrel and buy one of each and compare.
Job sorted

Go with one of the 7mm cartridges. 7mm-08, 7x57 or 7x64 - nice and mild shooting, low recoil but effect on game far outweighs what they are supposed to do. And plenty of large, long bullets for when you are after big tough stuff.

Just get a .308. Great round for woodland stalking. I've shot roe to boar and moose with 180grn bullets and have just worked up a load useing 165grn Oryx for all my shooting. My mate dropped a moose in its tracks with this load in my rifle. The difference between a .3006 and a .308 is about a gnats penis.
I've never seen the point of loading down a calibre to mimic another.
I'm coming to the UK in 2016 to stalk and i bet when i shoot a munti with my .308 it will be very dead just like any boar or moose i shoot here at home.

Just get a .308. Great round for woodland stalking. I've shot roe to boar and moose with 180grn bullets and have just worked up a load useing 165grn Oryx for all my shooting. My mate dropped a moose in its tracks with this load in my rifle. The difference between a .3006 and a .308 is about a gnats penis.
I've never seen the point of loading down a calibre to mimic another.
I'm coming to the UK in 2016 to stalk and i bet when i shoot a munti with my .308 it will be very dead just like any boar or moose i shoot here at home.
Yes it would! I shoot everything from Munty to fallow (don't have access to reds on my ground atm) with .308 168gr bullets. Everything seems to did very quickly and not run far (they usually don't run at all). Carcass damage is acceptable.

I like the 30-06 in my R93. I only use 220gr Woodleighs now. If you are buying 308 only to shoot 150gr then might as well keep the 270.

Yes it would! I shoot everything from Munty to fallow (don't have access to reds on my ground atm) with .308 168gr bullets. Everything seems to did very quickly and not run far (they usually don't run at all). Carcass damage is acceptable.

+1 I just run a .308 with 150gr bullets for everything in the UK, was on CWD the other day and there was minimal damage. I was swayed to .308 from 30.06 rightly or wrongly by the availability of ammunition eg if I traveled up to Scotland and forgot my ammo and had to source some locally it wouldn't be too much of a problem... I'm sure everywhere stocks 30.06 but figured .308 was common as muck.

I think ether to be fair would be a good choice...

Back