Thread: Pigeon in the wind

Pigeon in the wind

Sick of work and no play I decided to take my new hatsan out and see what was about. I had about an hour and a half waiting in a local wood. Had 12 shots for 5 pigeon and 3 squirrels. I couldn't shoot at most of the pigeon as they were so fast in the wind.

Thought about nipping out myself to see how fast the grey rockets were travelling today but 'stuff' got in the way.
    pigeons + high winds = good sport, but small bags

I only managed 6 today, 3 rabbits and 2 pheasants, but great sport and better than sitting indoors .

Went on a wild bird phezy shoot today I won't say what my shot count was but the birds where phenomenally fast as was everything else on the wing .

I remember shooting pigeon in a gale, saw a group of pigeon turn towards me across the far side of the rape, they were about 10 yards up and coming straight at me. I thought to myself this will be as close as I will get to driven grouse.

i set myself, waited, wait for it, then rose to take the shot, next thing I knew they were past me heading off into the distance, bugger they were fast!

I shot 1 stone dead and it traveled nearly 100 yards before it hit the ground.
    Great fun. It was also the first time in 20 years I had used an auto. Got on well with it so was well happy.
    I left the wood early as a big tree came down and I didn't want to be under 1

5 pigeon and 2 woodcock was my tally and missed a teal good couple of hours tho seen more stuff in this weather in 2 hours than in a whole day of finer weather springer pushed out 2 roe and Charlie nice to see a bit of variety