Any remote control car enthusiasts on here?

stratts

Hi Everyone my lad threw us a curveball and wrote on his xmas list to santa that he wants a rc drift car. Anyone got any idea if a 1:10 car for around 40 to 50 quid would actually drift ok without having to go up to the Tamiya grade stuff?

Cheers,

Stratts

Hi Everyone my lad threw us a curveball and wrote on his xmas list to santa that he wants a rc drift car. Anyone got any idea if a 1:10 car for around 40 to 50 quid would actually drift ok without having to go up to the Tamiya grade stuff?

Cheers,

Stratts

Well, since the general response seems to be "no" I might as well chip in.
I was fairly into RC cars as a teenager, and the difference between the cheaper stuff and the likes of Tamiya was very noticeable. The difference between the Tamiya stuff and the "Next level" more expensive stuff is less notable. The good thing about the Tamiya level stuff is that the parts are upgradable and swappable, so if he gets into it he might enjoy tweaking and customising his car. They also come in a build from scratch kit form, which is good if the lad likes practical stuff and quite educational (the differential, for example, is pretty much an exact model of a full size car)
So, if you think he'll actually get into it and will appreciate it, I'd recommend the slightly more expensive option. They also have a reasonable resale value, so if he doesn't use it beyond the end of January you can flog it and recoup something!
I don't know what's current, it was maybe 10 years ago that I sold the last of mine, so it might be that cheaper Chinese stuff of similar type to Tamiya etc, is a good option now, but I couldn't really say.

Also, don't be caught out here: The kits don't always come with the RC gear, or batteries, charger, etc.

I used to race rc cars with nitro engines, great fun but very costly strattsIm,

You have to spend to get the kit that does the tricks if you know what I mean, cheap will mean nasty, I used to build my own cars and used futaba radio gear best car I had was replica of the tyrrell 6 wheel car with a 6.5 cc nitro engine,

Never had the drifting cars then but we could do it with a wet surface and a bit of luck,

I wish you well, and I hated battery stuff you don't get the same run time,

Bob.

Convince him 2nd hand good stuff is better than new crap stuff

some really high end kits come up for sale every time a teenager discovers fags booze and the opposite sex
fried of mine ran a model shop and they had some serious kit

the "toys" for less than a ton are not really drift ready
mind you saying that he is better off learning on something cheaper ....it will crash, it will break!

Thanks guys he's a bit young to be spending a wedge on the good stuff as yet and at the moment has no interest in tinkering!! Trouble is he watches the ones on youtube and thinks Santa is going to bring him one of those that cost 100's!! He is also not old enough to convince that Santa would think second hand is best as he would want it new in a box!!

I reckon if it looks cool I'll get away with it even it doesn't drift very well and it'll still be Santa's fault after all while they still believe!!

Stratts

Back