Boar shot, to shots fired ratio ?

Lateral

Got back on Monday from another weekend in Portugal, but with a reality check this time, and didn't get to fire a shot.

Saturday, peg looked good, heard plenty of shots, and thought it would be a good bag, even though nothing showed for me. When we got back, 34 boar had been shot, less than I'd been expecting, based on the number of shots we were hearing, and then got told there was a shot count of "191", an average of just over 5.5 shots per boar, I was shocked, but it seems to be about right, according to the locals !

I think half the reason is that semi autos, are common place (predominantly the Browning BAR) and the mentality is to keep shooting until the animal drops. It's common to see animals hit 2-4 times, and the idea of just taking one shot, seems alien to them, in this case them, being the Spanish, & Portuguese.

My average is below 2, but that may also explain why it took me 7 trips before I shot a boar :doh: as I'm only shooting when I feel there is a good shot on. I'd be interested to hear from the more experienced driven boar hunters, what is considered a realistic average ratio, 5>6 seems very high ?

You always keep firing at wild boar until you know it is is down or out of site or you run out of ammo!!
I had 6 shots at 1 boar with 5 hits last month and reloaded ready just in case when it came running
Past me at full throttle:scared:.
It the last man that hits the boar and drops it not the man who shot it first that gets to claim it in Croatia so you had best make sure that you put it down when you have the chance.

I have just returned from a trip to Hungary and on our first day, which was poor, we had 7 Boar and 8 Fallow Hinds on the ground, one more very big pig was found the following day.
However, the shot count was 50 of which four were taken by an Austrian who shot four pigs on the trot.
He saw the sow and it's five followers, so shot four of the followers, each shot dropped each pig on the spot.
He was using a stainless underlever of 45 something calibre.
The local Agent did say he expected his group to average three shots per pig, I said nothing.
But as Mark has said we, Brits, do tend to be a bit more reserved in our shooting and try for clean kills each time.
On one occasion in Germany I was chastised severely for not shooting any of the three pigs that came from behind me and very close to me too, but they ran in a straight line going away from me so all I could see was their rumps I was not willing to shoot.
I did take a line on them hoping they would veer off but if they did it was after they had taken cover.

I've never shot driven hoofed game of any kind, but as a general rule do British sportsmen tend to do some training at the running target before doing it in the flesh?

You always keep firing at wild boar until you know it is is down or out of site or you run out of ammo!!
I had 6 shots at 1 boar with 5 hits last month and reloaded ready just in case when it came running
Past me at full throttle:scared:.
It the last man that hits the boar and drops it not the man who shot it first that gets to claim it in Croatia so you had best make sure that you put it down when you have the chance.

Like most, I've had a few shots I'm not proud of, but all but a few boar have dropped with just one shot, a couple took two, and a couple got away.

What caliber are you shooting, or are we talking super boar here ? :D

Dalua, I've been looking at going to a practice range with a couple of friends before a trip next Feb', but apart from having a go at the Bisley H4H day a few months ago, I shared a peg on a couple of driven pheasant days this season, and I'm sure shooting clays, or pheasant helps a lot, practicing swing, and lead ?

When I was young, a friend owned a mined-out sand pit, and let me use if for all sorts of target practice. Another friend and I would practice running game shots by bolting a piece of round plywood precisely centered on a used tire. Onto that, we would mark the exact center with a hole and use a nail to center up a paper bulls eye target. Then one of us would go up a bit of slope and launch it rolling and bouncing across the floor of the pit, so the other could shoot at the moving bulls eye. The sand backstop gave instant feedback of how we were doing with our lead and swing.

I was shooting a 444marlin that day .ammo is still the cheapest part of a driven hunting trip so when you get only one chance you have to make it count. I practice in the UK with my rifle and will fire over 300 rounds at paper /moving targets at variable ranges free hand just for practice
I have never kept a shot to kill ratio on wild boar .but I have shot an average of 3-4 boar a trip over the last 9 years. Last year I shot 5 of which one was a bronze medal which I dropped with one shot and the put another in it for safety.
The more I shoot the luckier I get as the saying goes

I was shooting a 444marlin that day .ammo is still the cheapest part of a driven hunting trip so when you get only one chance you have to make it count. I practice in the UK with my rifle and will fire over 300 rounds at paper /moving targets at variable ranges free hand just for practice
I have never kept a shot to kill ratio on wild boar .but I have shot an average of 3-4 boar a trip over the last 9 years. Last year I shot 5 of which one was a bronze medal which I dropped with one shot and the put another in it for safety.
The more I shoot the luckier I get as the saying goes

I get satisfaction using the least number of rounds I can. I try, and treat shooting boar, the same way I treat shooting deer, so one shot is the ideal, clearly much harder to achieve on boar, but it's my goal.

I've been very lucky. I only shot my first boar in Feb' this year, and so far, even if I discount the two boar I hit, but we couldn't find, I've shot 13 boar, for 24 shots. 11 boar with one shot, 1 needed 2, another needed 2, the second shot being for humane dispatch, and 9 misses.

I suspect the both the average number of shots, and the misses will increase :D

sounds about right on drives here,
I went on one in early february, there was a barrage of fire when the boar began to move, lasting about 30-45 min. at the end of the day - 2 boar down. and in my opinion dozens wounded.
for one lots of people here shoot impossible shots, out of range etc.
secondly they dont have a very ethical attitude when on drives, and will shoot often wounding the boar and losing them just for the fun of shooting at an animal regardless of whether they think they can dispatch it or not.
thirdly many use semi autos, and in the excitement of the moment they will empty a magazine on a single animal with out any thought of shot placement. still many people use SxS shotguns so only get in 2 shots before an animal gets away.

on the other hand, when out hunting we average about 1.5 - 2 shots per animal taken. of course we dont always manage to get a kill and the ones that get away average a much higher shot rate depending on the firearms used. we dont always use rifles especially in dense bush

on driven hunts depends a lot on the terrain, density of vegetation and shooting distances
On the last driven hunt i was, there were ~15 shots, 9 boars down, 0 wounded, maximum shooting distance 50-60 meters

Many places, bit like with pheasant shooting, will say 3 or 3.5 shots per pig, so basically they can base your chances on shots, 35 shots = 10 pigs, 70 shots = 20 and so on.

Got back on Monday from another weekend in Portugal, but with a reality check this time, and didn't get to fire a shot.

Saturday, peg looked good, heard plenty of shots, and thought it would be a good bag, even though nothing showed for me. When we got back, 34 boar had been shot, less than I'd been expecting, based on the number of shots we were hearing, and then got told there was a shot count of "191", an average of just over 5.5 shots per boar, I was shocked, but it seems to be about right, according to the locals !

I think half the reason is that semi autos, are common place (predominantly the Browning BAR) and the mentality is to keep shooting until the animal drops. It's common to see animals hit 2-4 times, and the idea of just taking one shot, seems alien to them, in this case them, being the Spanish, & Portuguese.

My average is below 2, but that may also explain why it took me 7 trips before I shot a boar :doh: as I'm only shooting when I feel there is a good shot on. I'd be interested to hear from the more experienced driven boar hunters, what is considered a realistic average ratio, 5>6 seems very high ?

See there is situation where boar is there and people do not pull the trigger because reasons caused by luck of experience:

1. Hesitating to try to hit running boar until it stops?
2. Safety issues, to far away toward beaters, boar was on the way to the next gun and usually many people do not like shooting boar leaving line of guns but prefer to shoot it while approaching line of hunters (influence of the UK pheasant shooting culture).
3. Adrenalin is kicking hard ... so many people get jammed guns loosing chances
4. Hearing problems, if you do not hear boar approaching you will not have time to prepare to take the shot

Once all of this reasons for your gun going quiet with 'NO BOAR' your way we can talk bow many bulled you need to bring boar down.

Standard is 3 bullets for 1 injured boar

1 injured boar = 1 dead boar on the most of driven boar hunts and some experienced teams can count to have 80% of total daily bag laid in front of the fire since 20% of injured animals can wonder around forest and will be lost meat.

With UK groups sometimes there is huge difference in groups experience but for 5% of people I would not approve right to keep firearms especial when it is coming to driven wild boar shooting... this people can fire 20 bullets without hitting boar at any time. On the other side size of animals is what influence how many bullets you should put into boar. IT IS STRONG ANIMAL AND ONLY SMALL BOAR WILL GO DOWN WITH 1 BULLET... SPANISH ARE FAR MORE EXPERIENCED AND TOGETHER WITH GERMAN PROBABLY THE MOST EXPERIENCED DRIVEN WILD BOAR HUNTERS. The worst are Belgium flowed by Danish ... English groups are somewhere in the Middle but more on less experienced side of Europe when it is coming to boar hunting and I recommend flowing recipe to improve your driven wild boar shooting skills : Do not save ammunition on Boar, It is good to save on anything else but not on improving your boar shooting skils

:

See there is situation where boar is there and people do not pull the trigger because reasons caused by luck of experience:

1. Hesitating to try to hit running boar until it stops?
2. Safety issues, to far away toward beaters, boar was on the way to the next gun and usually many people do not like shooting boar leaving line of guns but prefer to shoot it while approaching line of hunters (influence of the UK pheasant shooting culture).
3. Adrenalin is kicking hard ... so many people get jammed guns loosing chances
4. Hearing problems, if you do not hear boar approaching you will not have time to prepare to take the shot

Once all of this reasons for your gun going quiet with 'NO BOAR' your way we can talk bow many bulled you need to bring boar down.

Standard is 3 bullets for 1 injured boar

1 injured boar = 1 dead boar on the most of driven boar hunts and some experienced teams can count to have 80% of total daily bag laid in front of the fire since 20% of injured animals can wonder around forest and will be lost meat.

With UK groups sometimes there is huge difference in groups experience but for 5% of people I would not approve right to keep firearms especial when it is coming to driven wild boar shooting... this people can fire 20 bullets without hitting boar at any time. On the other side size of animals is what influence how many bullets you should put into boar. IT IS STRONG ANIMAL AND ONLY SMALL BOAR WILL GO DOWN WITH 1 BULLET... SPANISH ARE FAR MORE EXPERIENCED AND TOGETHER WITH GERMAN PROBABLY THE MOST EXPERIENCED DRIVEN WILD BOAR HUNTERS. The worst are Belgium flowed by Danish ... English groups are somewhere in the Middle but more on less experienced side of Europe when it is coming to boar hunting and I recommend flowing recipe to improve your driven wild boar shooting skills : Do not save ammunition on Boar, It is good to save on anything else but not on improving your boar shooting skils:

I would agree with some of your comments, but not others.

We don't shoot running game with rifles in the UK, so it's hardly surprising most people from the UK have less experience, than those who do so on a regular basis. I would also say that in the main, British hunters are far more concerned about taking humane shots, than the average non UK European hunter, who tend to take multiple shots, regardless that the first may have been fatal, and for sure, this is something UK hunter need to accept, and get over if they want to be successful shooting driven boar.

I'm tempted to post some pictures of your so called "experienced" hunters, but they really don't show the sport, or the hunters concerned in a very good light ! I'd also comment, that whilst there are some very good Spanish hunters, their general reputation in Portugal, is anything but good ! They have the most appalling reputation for moving off their pegs. It's bad enough when they move forward, but darn right scary when they drop back, and no one wants to be on a peg next to them !

I also don't agree with only small boar will go down with one shot. That said, I guess it depends what size you consider requires more than one shot ? But both my friends, and I have certainly dropped boar in access of 100kg with one shot, and I'm pretty sure there will be many others on here who will have done so too.

That's not to say that I don't miss, I do, or that every boar takes one shot, but for me, more have, than haven't, and I'm only an average shot, with a 9.3mm :D

I would agree with some of your comments, but not others.

I also don't agree with only small boar will go down with one shot. That said, I guess it depends what size you consider requires more than one shot ? But both my friends, and I have certainly dropped boar in access of 100kg with one shot, and I'm pretty sure there will be many others on here who will have done so too.

That's not to say that I don't miss, I do, or that every boar takes one shot, but for me, more have, than haven't, and I'm only an average shot, with a 9.3mm :D

+1 :thumb:
Agree with Lateral....Love the 9.3mm x 62 for boar shooting.....if the first round doesn't drop them...the second certainly will!

Lucky to have hunted with some good shots where 1:1 or 2:1 was the norm...but shots were always considered, within range and above all safe!

Five rounds, five boar using an 8mm 180 grain pointed soft point; one during a drive hunt. All of these were in Germany. I am, still working on getting out and trying my skill with the UK Wild Boar. Soon...

If placed properly, one 8mm will kill the beast in mid stride.

The last one I took was at 35 meters and only went 50 meters before it eat dirt. He weighed in at over 120 kg and tasted right good.

Back