"Cody" - The scruffiest dog you ever saw!

FrenchieBoy

We used to do a lot of fostering for Harperhey Dogs Home till it burned down. We used to love it but the hardest thing was taking the dogs back after we had started forming strong bonds with them. Because of this we decided that we were not going to foster any more but "when the time felt right" we would adopt/buy a dog as our permanent pet!
Well that time has finally come!
We had been looking through Preloved Pets and were going to buy a Patterdale Terrier. There were several that were available at the right money but I got messed about too much after even being willing to drive up to a 120 mile round trip each time to look at "suitable candidates" (One of which was not even a Patterdale). Because of this we chatted about it and the wife came across this chap who was only in Accrington (About 12 miles from us)
The story behind him was that the young lady had owned him for 5 years (since he was a pup) but now as she had a young child and had needed to change her working hours (As a care assistant - A very worthwhile job) she felt that she could not give the dog the time that her much loved dog deserved.
We went to see the dog early this afternoon and we both fell for him straight away and parted with the money asked for him without any quibble. (The young lady was heart broken to see him go but realised that it was in the best interest of the dog and was assured that she was more than welcome to pop over any time she wanted to see that he was being taken very good care of and was happy)
The only problem was that Marlene (Dearly beloved) didn't like the name he had which was "Smokey" as (in her opinion) it made him sound more like a cat than a dog, so she has decided to rename him "Cody", which he is already answering to.
He is now just over 5 years old and has been fairly well trained - He knows Sit, Lie Down, Bed, Paw. etc and is well house trained - When he needs to go out he will go to the door and turn round in circles a couple of times and then come up and give you a nudge with is nose and then go back to the door.
"Cody" is very gentle and a perfect gentleman, and we are delighted to welcome him into our "family"!
He has never been worked but he will get a chance when I take him out with my mates Lurcher and Terrier to see what it is all about and find out if he wants to run a few rabbits. (Edit: He will chase after a small cuddly toy and retrieve it when you say "Fetch" so there is a bit of hope)
I know the exact breeding but I am going to let you guys have a go at guessing before I tell you.
Here's a couple of photos of Cody relaxing! You try telling me what his breeding is.
IMG_8249.jpgIMG_8252.jpgIMG_8253.jpgIMG_8256.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of you are very close, well done.
Cody is a first cross Bedlington / Wippet and stands 18 inch to the shoulder and is quite "agile" so he might even make is as a useful little a lamping dog. I've obviously got to make sure that he is "stock safe" before I try too much with him though.
He settled in very well and was only told off once during the night for coming into the bedroom (We never allow dogs in the bedroom and use a child gate across the bedroom door but Cody jumped straight over it).

Edit: We've just got back in from our first morning walk. We went through the small woods at the side of our flats where Cody spotted a squirrel. He immediately wanted to run it and was most put out when he wasn't allowed off the lead to get to it (I need to make sure of his recall and also that he is "Stock Safe" before allowing him off the lead). Even after the squirrel had made a hasty exit Cody was not prepared to leave things at that - We walked over to where the squirrel had been and Cody did his best to quarter the ground to search for it!
Even though I am not a lover of allowing dogs to try to catch squirrels (In case the dog gets bitten) it looks like he is certainly game enough to try on rabbits once he has properly settled in!

Last edited:
I have a Bedlington Greyhound, ancient now at 14 years old. Started life as a lamping dog, as she got older we used her for finding foxes out in the mountains after we'd shot them. She ended up as a very good deer tracking dog. She still goes mad if you get a rifle out. Don't worry about the squirrels a good Bedlington can look after itself.

My first Lurcher was a Bedlington x Whippet although he was a 3/4 cross and looked more Whippet than Bedlington ever since then i have made sure there is Bedlington blood in my Lurchers as i think you just can beat it in a working dog i still have the same blood from my original lurcher in my dogs now although they are currently a bit different to my first dog.
As already said i wouldnt worry about him being bitten by a squirrel it will only happen the once...!
Hope you have a bit of fun with him he looks a pretty laid back character keeping that coat clean and tidy should keep you busy.

My first Lurcher was a Bedlington x Whippet although he was a 3/4 cross and looked more Whippet than Bedlington ever since then i have made sure there is Bedlington blood in my Lurchers as i think you just can beat it in a working dog i still have the same blood from my original lurcher in my dogs now although they are currently a bit different to my first dog.
As already said i wouldnt worry about him being bitten by a squirrel it will only happen the once...!
Hope you have a bit of fun with him he looks a pretty laid back character keeping that coat clean and tidy should keep you busy.

I agree with you about having a bit of Bedlington in a lurcher. Below is a photo of my first lurcher "Gemma" (Taken way back in the late 70s, when I had all my own hair and teeth:rolleyes:) - She was a Bedlington put back to a Wippet / Collie, and she was such a game little dog she would take on anything I put up in front of her and happily take on foxes single handed.
As for keeping Cody's hair clean and dry he loves being towelled down and brushed, and we're told by his previous owner that he is very good when being shampooed - Bit I'll leave the shampooing bit up to the wife!
Gemma.jpg

Edit: After several posts on various forums (Including on The Stalking Directory) hopefully this will show that contrary to what some might want to believe I am not against "Lurcher Owners" or anyone with "Working/Running Dogs", I actually love watching them work! I just believe that if you are going to run a lurcher/sighthound/longdog after rabbits, foxes or "whatever that is legal" you should only do it where you have permission to do so!

Last edited:
Back