poor girl had injury

centralbeltstalker

Hi,

Was stalking sunday, seen loads of does... no bucks.
dont you just hate that... soon as they are in season they vanish.
thats why they call it stalking not shooting.
whilst i was up in the seat i saw a deer lying in the grass.
all i could see was her head. as i watched her another came out 30 or meters from her so i was switching views to see if a buck was in tow.
needless to say there wasnt however when this deer got up she was limping a little and not to sure on her feet. i had seen her before (last april may) limping and she was making great progress and i let her be. i seen that she had red marks and something hanging from her rear area. at first i thought she was either in labour or had just given birth. whislt watching her she went on for 5/6 yards and sat down. she done this three times. she was about 120 yards and i couldnt see with great clarity what the red was. upon advice i observed for a little longer. unfortunately she seemed to be get worse. at first i did feel as if i was about to see a birth but she just didnt look right. after 50 mins i watched her struggle and lay down. i after much hard deliberation decided to get closer and see what the issue was. once i was 40 yards off i seen her and it was not good news. she was clearly in pain and her head was nodding.... i took the decision and bang it was done. you will see it was the right call. you will also see the elongated front hoof from the limp. even when you do the right thing it sticks in your throat.. poor girl. i wont forget her in a while.. there was a small hole about an inch in her tummy. no sign of any animal interference...

f.View attachment 1029

Agreed, good call. Looks like she may have opened a small belly wound (perhaps clearing a barbed wire or thorn hedge?) which then allowed the gut to herniate through the wound, preventing it from closing again? Any other sign of skin damage around the wound area, or on the legs?

Always sad to see deer in pain, but at least you could deal with it and end her suffering.

hi,

There was some hair lost on back legs pippa, it was a small wound, with drastic effects.
i dont know wether it was either barbed wire or on something else.

f.

Excellent call.

Found myself in the same situation as you at the weekend.

Out with a Client and we noted a doe with a decided limp. Closer inspection revealed a massive growth on her right shoulder - enough that her movement was curtailed and she was obviously losing condition.

A single shot later, and closer inspection showed a huge pendulous growth like nothing I have seen before. I didn't excise it - but took the carcass for incineration.

Rgds

Ian

Attachments

• shoulder growth.jpg
    shoulder growth.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 46
Excellent call.

Found myself in the same situation as you at the weekend.

Out with a Client and we noted a doe with a decided limp. Closer inspection revealed a massive growth on her right shoulder - enough that her movement was curtailed and she was obviously losing condition.

A single shot later, and closer inspection showed a huge pendulous growth like nothing I have seen before. I didn't excise it - but took the carcass for incineration.

Rgds

Ian

Now thats a growth.... well done to you also. they say we are murders but in reality we care more for them than most.

happy stalking.

f.

Back