Seasonal Query - Who makes the best Mince Pies

kes

Very seasonal and intended to be light-hearted.
My son and I have purchased a number of boxes of mince pies (a Christmas favourite) and you cant get too many.
Whilst homemade or mum's tend to be a hit with most chaps, we are trying to establish the front - runner from commercial mince pie makers.
So far we have established that, for us;

No1 Morrisons own (lattice)
No2 M&S (all butter)
No3 Mr Kipling (Deep filled)
No4 Cheerbrookes (local farm shop to Nantwich).
No 5 Co-op

Anyone have their own assessments to pass on as its not too long before only the best will do - Christmas Day.

A Merry Christmas to all !

Well I'm pleased to say I've never been reduced to the level of eating any of those brands of pies.
Only the missus' will do for me!

On a TV survey this morning by some formidable looking seasoned mince pie baking ladies, Lidl mince pies came out on top of athe suoermarket bought mince pies tested.Ian.

Personally, i detest the things, i have never liked dried currants, raisans etc, got tricked into trying one when i was a kid, not knowing about them when i was told mince pie i thought Ooh! i like minced beef, never touched one since.Ian.

I had a Tesco finest mince pie yesterday and it was really nice - best one so far this year. Usually my mince pies get covered in double cream before consumption.

I don't really have any preference as I am not overly keen on mince pies. The wife buys in loads of boxes of the things every year and they never go to waste - Almost every time we get visitors she makes sure that they get a few with a cuppa. We had a couple of my mates from the gun club come to visit the other year and she actually told them that they were not allowed to leave unless they ate a mince pie first!

Your gran or your mam make the best mince pies ,and if your lucky they'll show your missus how to make em

Atb

Kjf

My wife's auntie is a close second to my mum. I find the supermarket ones, like all supermarket cakes etc are too sweet for me. And the pastry is always thin and damp and floppy :(

My old mum but she has is long gone so none of that shop trash come's nr so as vss wife's will do for me :eek:

edit my wife that is :doh: ~

My old mum but she has is long gone so none of that shop trash come's nr so as vss wife's will do for me :eek:

edit my wife that is :doh: ~

Ha Ha! Shall I put some in a box and send them over?
Or drop some in when I'm passing? I'm an Essex lad originally, and a lot of my family are down that way...
My mum is in Essex still, but I won't offer you her pies: When it comes to pastry, my missus beats my mum hands down.

Well, I may be one of the only ones but I am not a fan of mince pies, or Christmas pudding or Christmas cake. Vienetta on the other hand, now that is a Christmas treat

Well, I may be one of the only ones but I am not a fan of mince pies, or Christmas pudding or Christmas cake.

All of the above are improved by applications of lashings of thick cream and accompanied by home-made ice cream. Needless to say I have my own cows, and they're 50% Jersey!
(I dread to think what my cholesterol levels must be, but I'm fairly skinny believe it or not!).

Going to open myself up for abuse here but the Heston Blumenthal ones from waitrose are pretty good straight from the oven especially with some cream on top. Not a typical mince pie but very nice.

Back