Would anyone on here be able to give 1st base advise on buying a narrowboat please? It will be intended for cruising / touring use throughout the year and to give a base for exploring local areas / walks.
Mainly to be used for just two people (plus dog) but to occasionally sleep 6.
When the kids were young we'd done (and extensively enjoyed) the caravan bit but the cost of a near-new van, plus a new (larger than I would like to drive the other 40 weeks a year) car, site fees of £30 a night plus etc etc has put us off.
We have hired narrowboats and really enjoyed the experience but would very much appreciate advice on -
- Best magazine / publication to subscribe to?
- What / what not to buy (narrowboat or wide beam)?
- Who (or who not) to buy from?
- Recommended reading / websites for information / maps / moorings / costs / fuel & pump out faciilties etc.
- Best roaming internet access (I will still have to do some work)
- If the boat is moored at point A and you cruise for (say) 2 weeks before needing to get home and leave the boat at point B then how do you retrieve the car at point A? Taxi / train / public transport? Any other idea?
- Any other advice / experience?
Thanks in advance.